Looking for advice on shave soaps/cream/gels

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jamesrw30, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Hey all. So I have spent many years just trimming my face down with no guard on a trimmer. I got tired of getting so much irritation from the 5 blade and electric razors I have used in the past. I have acquired my grandfathers safety razor that is 60+ years old. I cleaned it up and put a fresh blade in it. Now I am on the hunt for what to lather with. I keep feeling like I would love to go to a soap and brush but have absolutely zero experience with that. I also have to learn to use the razor properly. I have played with it a little just on the under side of my arm and have started seeing the technique to it. I look forward to what everyone thinks. I looked at the Van DerHagen kit at Walmart. It is brush, soap, dish and brush stand for $25 but I didn't know if there was a better choice for the same money I can order online or if this is a good starting point.

Key2Wellness likes this.
  2. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I would start with a synthetic brush. I think they're easier to use and they require less maintenance. Kiss My Face is a pretty cheap shaving cream and it's easy to use as well. You can even use it without a brush, but I prefer it with the brush.

Terry Williams likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Same money, youll get same yields.
    But up the ante a bit, say maybe 50 bucks, youll be in line to get a better line to start with.
    Shop for stirling's synthetic brush and then choose a flavor of soap.
    I recomend, no order of preference;
    Route 66
    Soap Commander
    Stirling
    Maggards
    WSP
    The Shave Den (while they last)

These are very nice artisan products.

Some of my recommendations for over the counter are;
    Proraso (C.O.Bigelow is rebranded prorasoo)
    Cella
    Cyril R Salter

Stick with it, uts very rewarding to me.
    Oh and welcome to the den.

Salty Belle and Terry Williams like this.
  4. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Skip the bottom tier soaps like Williams and VDH, and go with the soaps above $6 like Proraso and Taylor of Bond Street. Buy an Omega Boar Brush along with it and you'll have a good foundation to build on for a soap and brush.

RyX likes this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Welcome and congratulations on your inheritance. :)

Van Der Hagen is just fine to start with, IMHO. If you get the kit, then you can start today. But, if you are like the rest of us, you will find some nicer options in @david of central florida 's list. I personally like Mickey Lee Soapworks, Taylor of Old Bond Street and Tabac. But, there so many choices. Maggard Razors sells samples. That is a great way to find out what you like by what smells and feels good.

If you don't go for the Walmart VDH kit, then you can just use an old coffee mug or dessert bowl and get a good synthetic brush. But, @Edwin Jagger Loyalist has a great suggestion for the Omega Boar Brush. They require a little break in, but you won't be sorry. I love mine. Besides it's only $9. Though, I think it might be easier to start with a synthetic.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Get the kit. Van Der Hagen (VDH) soap, in my opinion, is one of your best buys out there.
    The brush can be hit or miss.

Terry Williams likes this.
  7. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Thanks everyone. Mixed reviews so have alot to read through and go from there. Start doing some snooping on the interwebs and see what I can decide haha.

8. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Welcome. Do you know what kind of razor you have?

When I started, I spent some time hacking away and getting nicks most days. I entered the Newbie Givaway which I encourage you to do (http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/november-2016-newbie-giveaway.53300/) and was given a tub of Proraso Green soap. I then was encouraged by @Bama Samurai to Join in the monthly focus (http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/november-2016-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.53290/).

In short order I was able to consistently & easily whip up a creamy bowl of lather with an old badger brush that I had. Proraso may not be the end all be all of artisan soaps, but it works and is easy to work with. I think to start any cheap brush will do, then after you get a feel for it, you can pickup a brush of your choosing. Good luck and if you need any pointers, there are plenty of shave enthusiasts here that will be more than willing to guide you along.

RyX, Bama Samurai and Terry Williams like this.
  9. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

It is a Gillette is all I know. I don't have a picture handy but I can get one. Thank you for the links. I will study into those.

10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Go to the website I have shared below. Stirling Soap is one of the absolute best companies out there, and their starter kit has everything you need. It is a tremendous value for the quality.

www.stirlingsoap.com/starter-shave-kit-budget/

PickledNorthern likes this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Is is gold or silver colored? Twist to open? Is there a date code on the bottom?

You can throw a pic up on here and we will instantly know, or if you Google Gillette date codes or gillette identification, you can find out what it is

12. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Silver color and twist to open. I don't remember a date code but I will get some pictures tonight and get them loaded up tomorrow.

RyX and Straight razor dandy like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Oh man!! Now I am really curious. Does it have any numbers on the twistable part (1,2,3, etc)?

14. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

I think my favorites have to be from Phoenix Artisan Accouterments
    followed closely by Stubble Trubble.

I started with Van Der Hagen soaps. Dont waste your money, they dont even compare to some of the artisans out there. I used the brush for a while, and PIFed it to a new shaver locally I met, that wanted to get into wet shaving, and I use the bowl in the kit for lathering, but im looking for a different one. You can get a nice omega boar brush for less than 10 dollars, and no real need for a bowl to lather in I just prefer it over face lathering. Looking at the posts above its seems you have gotten good advice from experience shavers. Im still pretty new, only a few months into this.

MarshalArtist likes this.
  15. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Bottom of the handle twists to open and the top of the handle has a collar with numbers. I believe 1-9. From what I can tell as the collar is turned something pushes the blade up so I am assuming it adjusts the closeness of the shave.

RyX and John Beeman like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Does it lookike any of these?

Screenshot_20161121-142658.png

17. jamesrw30

jamesrw30 Member

Not exactly. Mine has a numbered adjustment on the top of the handle. I will get some pictures loaded up first thing tomorrow. The only writing I recall off hand on it is it says "patent number on box" on the bottom.

18. Straight razor dandy

Or these?

Screenshot_20161121-143119.png

RyX likes this.
  19. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

You have an adjustable razor. They are an excellent razor and much sought after.
    1 is the mildest setting and 9 is the most aggressive setting.
    And here's a tip, don't start at 9.
    Make the adjustment with the razor "doors" open and when you close the doors you should be able to give the bottom knob (the one that opens and closes the razor) an extra quarter turn to snug it down (this is unique to Gillette adjustables and not necessary with non-adjustable razors).

Welcome to the Shave Den and take your time with your "new" old razor. It will take awhile to learn how to use it properly so be patient and do lots of reading. There's a lot of good advice to be found in this forum and lots of friendly folks to give you a helping hand.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    RyX likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

All good advice on here, but I'd also like to add soaps from Love My Skin. A large assortment of scents available at very good prices with combined shipping. I have nine of them so far and planning on getting some more.