Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DanInFL001, Mar 22, 2012.

1. DanInFL001

DanInFL001 New Member

I know I want to buy a vintage Gillette circa 1958(birth year) so I reviewed the sticky on this forum and based on the information provided by AsylumGuido and MTgrayling; nice job by the way, I'm going to start looking for a "TV Special as soon as I can fit it in my budget. I really like the way it looks. My question are...

1. I prefer a mild razor, is it?
    2. I would prefer something better than user grade but not NIB. What could I be expected to pay?
    3. Are there any other 1958 Gillettes that I could also research?

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

Dan

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have the '58 TV and the "regular" '58. I find the TV to be a bit more aggressive, but that's me. I like it better, as well, because of the bit of extra aggressiveness.
    Cost? I paid $3 for mine at a flea market. Not in box, but in really good shape. I have no idea what you would expect to pay on the Bay.

3. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

4. DanInFL001

DanInFL001 New Member

I should hope to get a great deal as you did. There are several flea markets in this part of FL, so I should get to digging for a hidden treasure. Thanks for the info.

5. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

Gillette flare tips are very common on Ebay. They are mild shavers. I picked one up recently fully plated, very clean, and bright and the door alligned was spot on. The price was $9 plus $3 for shipping. They shave very nicely. Red tips are a little more aggressive but really not aggressive at all. They are heavier and the blade exposure is a little more aggressive. They sell at a higher premium at $15-$20 for a fully plated, bright and clean razor. Blue tips have aluminum handles and are the least aggressive. I tried a blue tip and could not get a good shave as it was too mild. Good luck in your hunt!

6. deoxy4

deoxy4 Member

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with the Gillette flare tip answer. You can get them for cheaper and find more of them offered on eBay or other online sources. You can try etsy.com.

The TV specials are always going to cost more, in my experience.