Lord: Best Current DE Razor Make

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I had a Lord Tech today, can't wait to try it tomorrow.

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would have to go with a Progress for modern razors. Fantastic shavers.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Seeing that this thread came back from the dead...

I have been getting good shaves from a Lord Smart this week. It is a bit weighty and I don't like the plastic handle. I put a tech ball end handle on it and it drove well, but the weight was off even worse. Great shaves though when paired with a Lord Chrome blade.

Surprisingly, the Weishi gives acceptable shaves, but it is mild and probably impossible for me to get BBS with it, but it gives close, irritation free shaves.

The Fatip head version of the Muehle Pinsel R89 is still available at some vendors; however, it has been replaced with a newer style. If you like a good feeling aggressive razor, this is a charm.

4. ztirf1953

ztirf1953 Active Member

Lord's razor is a good traveling double edge razor. I used it throughout Europe this summer on vacation. It is metal, light weight and does a good job. It is my traveling razor.

At home, it's Muhle R 89! The best, better than any of my Merkur

5. SirWhiskers

SirWhiskers Member

How does Lord do against something like Feather Portable?

6. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I think the level of aggressiveness is about the same, but then again I can't tell any difference between a Feather Portable, and an actual Tech. They seem to shave near identical to me.

As far as the Lord's are concerned, I prefer the all metal versions. The all metal Lord Tech is a very good quality razor, and shaves nearly identical to the Tech it is modeled after.

I do however, feel that the Merkur style head is superior to the Tech style head, unfortunately the all metal version of this razor is not available in the US currently, and instead we have the Lord Smart which has a plastic handle. The plastic handle makes the razor very head heavy, but you can get a fine shave with the Lord Merkur head on a Gillette Tech handle.

~John~

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've owned both but they were separated by a long interval- so factor that in with my opinion.

The Feather portable's handle was too short. I never did get the chance to use it with a regular length tech handle. I remember it as a semi-aggressive razor. I think it would be very similar to a Lord Tech if you paired it with a longer handle.

The Lord Tech clone was a little light but shaved very, very well. It's a bit on the mild side though. I moved on to an MP R89.

8. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I received a Lord Tech as part of TSD October newbie give-a-way. I tried it with a red pack IP. It gave a very decent shave. It will not replace my EJ or 40's SS or my straight as a daily shaver, but it will definitely be my travel razor. Simple design and effective shaver.

Is it the best DE razor out there, as the OP suggests? Not to me. But I've read reviews of my favorite (Muhle head razors) and there are folks who hate it.

9. hellhoundtrail

hellhoundtrail New Member

I like Lord blades but I really have a loyalty to my Gillette Rockets. Tried and tested.

10. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I got a Lord Tech for $7.99, total cost, just because I wanted to see how good or bad a really cheap razor might be. It's a perfectly decent razor, and if I were a sensible, budget minded person, rather than a RADdict, I could get by with nothing else. However, I'm not a sensible, budget minded person, and I do have razors that shave better.

Definitely something to consider, though, for somebody who wants a first DE razor, and you might well be satisfied with it as an only razor.

11. Compa

Compa Member

Some people are allergic to some kinds of plating. I think I remember BoyExtraordinary mentioning he was allergic to nickel (or some metal) and maybe the merkur razors are the kind that give him troubles.

Maybe they are made of plastic but even so, the razor is only a small percent of the shave, the rest is your prep, the blade and your hand.
    I think in the end YMMV

Personally, I am not attracted to them... but if I see I can spend those 8$ on one, I'll do it just to try them :) he has quite some experience and that speaks miles n__n

12. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

The Lord Tech is too mild, if you have a light beard it's ok otherwise you loose your time whit loads of extra passes. Btw the plating on the Lord Tech is very cheap.
    On the other hand the Lord Smart is a fine shaver, close to what an HD can give, the only down point it's his lack of balance caused by his plastic handle.
    I sold my HD when i bought the Smart , it was a real mistake.
    Stick whit Merkur if you want quality.

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Merkur est vraiment top-qualite, mais la plupart de ces rasoirs sont trop aggressifs pour moi, malgre ma barbe, qui est tres lourde et dure. Par contre, je me rase tres, tres bien avec un Lord Super, ou bien, un Super Speed.

14. Jackliquor

Jackliquor New Member

I absolutely love the Lord Tech. It shaves exceptionally well and I can do the typical 3 pass shave and get BBS.

But the reviews were so bad that it prevented me from going forward. Some even noted that it got badly rusted (I remove the blade and clean/dry my razors after each shave). Others noted the screw got stripped and would not stay in place. After a few false alarms I finally pulled the trigger.

Well, I am glad I did and this is clearly a case of YMMV. It`s only been 2 weeks but it`s fast becoming my favourite razor. I knew I couldn`t lose with a price tag of under 11$ CAD. I did, as a measure of security, buy the Lord Premium (with a Merkur-like head) since most reviewers preferred the latter. The reason I did buy the tech is that Michiganlover (great reviews and videos in general) wrote a positive review and said it was a near identical clone of the Gillette tech head. You got me on clone!!! Near identical clone to the Gillette Tech? I was sold since I`ve always been looking to try a tech head and categorically refused to buy a Feather stainless at over 200$. Well, I bought it and couldn`t be happier. I used it with an Astra SP and found that it is very mild but at no point did I feel that I needed to keep passing over an area to get the job done.

Now, I do not claim to be an expert or DE guru of any sort. However, I am far from green. I experimented in the 80s but mostly with brush and soap. I did not get into DE until the late 80s. Then I slowly began to grow my collection. I started with Merkur and own a dozen or so. In fact, I have tried and own all the Merkur heads except the Vision (I went through a fierce Slant extremist phase as part of my troubles). Then I moved to EJ heads (both regular and open comb). I do not think I dislike any of my razors (even the R41 – which did quite the number on my face).

I am now absolutely thrilled with the Lord Tech and will recommend it wholeheartedly. In fact, I will buy more to ensure I never run out (agreed, I certainly do not see a lifetime guarantee in the fabrication but that doesn`t mean nor imply that the shave has been compromised). I recently placed an order for a vintage WWII era Gillette Tech that I discovered on Ebay since this experience has taught this DE user that the best DE head out there for me is definitely the Tech head.

I wonder what if I began my DE journey starting with a Lord Tech. I wonder if my RAD would have been so out of control (probably would).
    Cheers.....

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Your RAD might have even been worse. It goes something like this..."If I can get a great shave out of such a cheap razor, then that $$$ razor I saw should work even better!" Followed by..."Well that one sucked, what about this one?...";)

At least that's how my shaving experience went.:D Started with a 1960's era Gillette Super Speed and many razors later, now shave with a Gillette fatboy, typically set on 3. More or less turning it into a heavy version of a 60's Super Speed. Odd, I've never thought of it that way before.:o