Lots going on this month.

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RichMack, Jul 12, 2017.

1. RichMack

RichMack Well-Known Member

Just my newest toys. I think im done for a while. Especialy since i have 3 more straights coming in the mail. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Tally Ho, I like it, lots of fun toys there

Spyder, Karl G and RichMack like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You have a nice collection of SRs going on. Those razors are addictive! Any hones yet?

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looking good, Rich.

5. RichMack

No hones yet. I am shopping them around though. Just so many its hard to decide.

Jayaruh, Spyder, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

If the SRs are already shave ready, you might want to look for a 12k and an 8k first. That will be enough to keep a shave ready blade going. Anything lower would be used for blades in poor shape. Just something to consider since hones can be a bit pricey. However, buy right once and you've done. Oh, wait! I forgot... with this hobby, you're never done.

DaltonGang, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  7. RichMack

I have one of these coming
    https://www.griffithshavinggoods.co...-9-7-8-250mm-x-3-1-8-80mm?variant=15415930116
    One of these
    https://www.griffithshavinggoods.co...x-3-2-8-80mm-x-1-1-4-30mm?variant=31687693137
    And one of these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037M4R7A/?tag=thshde-20

Keithmax, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  8. RichMack

Spyder and Karl G like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Ahhh.... Natural stones! I use a Naniwa set, but they're man made hones. If you're going with natural stones, then we need to bring in the experts for some suggestions.
    @DaltonGang
    @Spyder
    @Karl G
    @Billyfergie

DaltonGang, Spyder and Karl G like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much useless when it comes to stones. I've been using lapping film and .5 micron diamond spray on felt to keep my razors refreshed. Just recently added a white Arkie for that, too. No need to jump in feet first unless you just want to. :happy088:

DaltonGang, Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My most recent Arkie cost almost 2 Franklins. I have very good luck with lapping film for a fraction of the cost. Having your own stones does open up opportunities to purchase razors that aren't shave ready. Then you can start restoring and, and, and..........

DaltonGang and Jim99 like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My only experience is with Welsh Slate Stones. I've had very good experiences with these stones and have honed probably around 100 straights, successfully with these.
    These are the ones I've bought, and this is the vendor.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-200mm...349620?hash=item2a85db0434:g:uy8AAOSw8-tWYfkO
    I've also used a Surgical Black Arkansas oil stone, as an Ultra Finisher. I would suggest only purchasing one of these from Dan's Arkansas Stones. This will save anyone days of lapping headaches. Trust me, I know.
    @gssixgun and @HolyRollah are the ones with extensive rock collections.

I have never heard of these stones and would be hesitant to plunk down that kind of money without anyone else's recommendations. But you might have already researched them. I hope.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

And it never stops??????:eatdrink047:

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I didn't mean to leave out @HolyRollah and @gssixgun

16. RichMack

Can you send me a link to that Arkie stone of yours I cant seem to find it on the site.

17. DaltonGang

I won't recommend the Arkie Stone I bought, because it took a lot of work to lap it flat.
    I do recommend Dan's Whetstones, because they come lapped flat. This is from several members experiences.
    Here is Dan's web page.
    ://www.danswhetstone.com

18. RichMack

[​IMG]
    Just picked this up off Etsy. Paid premium but, real IVORY is impossible to come by today. From what I can find on the Sheffield Index Wade, Wingfield & Rowbotham, - (, merchts. & table, pen & pocket knife, razor and file manufacturers).
    Address: Tenter Street, in 1837.
    Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.
    According to this index this was the only year this Company produced Razor. Then in 1851-1852 Richard Wades name was dropped from the company name becoming Wingfield & Rowbotham. At which time the newly named Company began producing Razors again. I believe that makes this razor exactly 180 years old.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Jim99 and mrchick like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That is a real beauty!

:love055:

RichMack likes this.