Low Carb Life Style

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by CyanideMetal, Apr 22, 2014.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

For about the past year or so, I've been trying to eat Low Carb (LC). It started as me wanting to drop a few pounds (50 can be cruel), but I found that it can be beneficial in other ways as well. I'm no expert, but I do read and research and thought this might be a good place for those interested in LC life style to gather.

I have cut out breads of all kinds and have cut down sugars almost 90% (a small bowl of ice cream is so good). I no longer eat potatoes, chips or processed foods. I must admit that the choices get boring and sometimes I don't eat because things seem so bland and I know that's not good either. I do eat raw and cooked veges and fruit sometimes (loove honeydew melon). I feel better and have dropped about 15 pounds in the past year.

Chime in and help out.

blanka and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Congratulations! Losing weight is not easy. Keep it up! One meal at a time.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  3. CyanideMetal

Thanks. I'm 6'7" tall so I can carry the weight, but I feel better if I'm slimmer and maybe I can keep the Grim Reaper away a little longer. :)

4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm 5'7 and weigh 135 lbs. I would probably waste away without carbs. I'm also pretty active, so I burn off a lot of carbs.

I've always been blessed with a high metabolism, so I pretty much ate whatever I wanted. I changed my eating habits a few months ago. I now stay away from soda, rarely eat candy, rarely eat fast food, and eat a lot more fruit and vegetables. I don't drink as much as I used to, but I still probably drink too much.

I would like to stay out of the hospital as much as I can and stay off mess by taking better care of myself.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I try and keep carbs to a minimum, but still eat them.

Making better decisions, watching portions, exercising more have helped me shed 12 lbs since the beginning of the year.

I still have a way to go, but am headed in the right direction.

CyanideMetal and Ryan B like this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have been on and off Atkins, and later, South Beach for the last 12 - 15 years. I have also gained and lost the same 75lb many times, such as now.

Funny (not) thing about starting Atkins them years ago, I quit beer and started vodak because less carbs, right? Anyway, drinking vodak and diet soda opened the door to whisk(e)y.

Mass Quantities of whisky. Like, 75lb worth of alcohol/carb/sugar, or whatever a dietician would say the calories are.

A life changing event occurred many months ago and now the MQ's are gone. A few drams here and there of Premium Islay perhaps, but nothing like the three liters a week, bottom shelf store brand that I have been knocking down for many years.

So, here I am, 69" and 225lb (down 75lb) Other than the hootch, my eating has not changed much from the Atkins/SB recommendations. Perhaps this time the brown water fever stays suppressed.

Hootch aside, I do think I had more favorable results with South Beach. Atkins is good for induction, but the longest lasting results not only on the weight side, but the lab work side too. SB offers more flexibility, although it is a bit pricey. But what isn't anymore?

In the long run, I intend to remember that I am but fruit on a vine. I am not waiting around for someone to pick me, lest I rot and die. So if I want a baked tater with my almost-out-of-reach-priced steak; salt crust and extra butter for me please!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have always been on a relatively 'low carb' diet—or at least conscientious of carb content. This is the natural result of 'carb-counting' due to my having insulin-dependent diabetes for the past 25 years and balancing insulin doses with carb intake.
    I've been fortunate to maintain my 'normal' ideal-for-me weight of 230lbs (within 3-5 pounds), 36"waist, for the majority of that time frame.
    I tend to avoid simple sugars (obviously), as well as refined flours, white starches and most food items that are overly processed.
    MEATS are my biggest Achilles, and I attempt to eat leaner cuts. This is what led me into making home-made meat items (bacon, sausages, hams, cold cuts,etc.) as I could not only control the fat and sodium contents, but know exactly what wholesome ingredients are being added into the mix.
    I don't wish to lead a life of culinary deprivation. I want food that is not only tasty and appealing in appearance, but is an actual smart & healthy choice as well. Finding foods with ALL those characteristics is the biggest challenge.

Homemade Lebanon Bologna....Not a carb to be seen.......;)
    [​IMG]

Erik Redd, CyanideMetal and Ryan B like this.
  8. CyanideMetal

I always had a high reving metabolism and never had to watch what I ate. I resent it now. Along with trying to eat right, my doctor says that eating small nutritious snacks throughout the day is key to keeping the metabolism going to burn off calories. Most of my life I've eaten once a day so this thing of eating string cheese, celery, beef jerky, etc. thru the day is a challenge.

The trick is whatever I do it has to be a life style change that I can live with so I don't yo-yo.

fram773 likes this.
  9. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I thought I never had to watch what I ate. When I started working out I wanted to get bigger, seeing I was 5'10 135lb. Nothing I ever ate seemed to make me gain any weight for years. That is, until I went on the GOMAD diet. gallon of milk a day. 3 months later I was 160lb. I did lose most of it but I haven't been able to lose some of that fat no matter what I eat now. I don't think I can live without carbs though.
    [​IMG]

Only thing I stay away from is sugar. Not necessarily because it is unhealthy it just doesn't taste good anymore now that I'm older. I don't drink any soda. I also despise sugary kids cereals- bran flakes good^ fruity pebbles bad :rolleyes005:. Oatmeal (old fashioned always) is a staple for me. I eat it everyday sometimes twice a day. Lots of dense calories, not much sugar, and I'm too lazy or too busy to cook all the time. Like Ryan B I would just waste away without those carbs.

By the way I tried this new fad- intermittent fasting. Basically you eat only during 12pm-8pm. Eat what you normally eat during that time just condense it. It is supposed to lose fat. Lots of people swear by it but as in shaving- lots of people swear by stuff some swear at it. I tried it for a month straight and I still got stomach rumblings and the corners of my lips got dry, I could swear my mouth was shrinking. Not a good experience. I tried it again a year later after someone recommended I just wasn't drinking enough water (I drank the same I always do the first time), 2 weeks I canceled after I got the same terrible symptoms.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mileage always varies in everything, and probably more so with individual biochemistry, but these are the foods that I cannot now live without, though not necessarily in any order:

Steel cut oats. Unlike regular rolled oats, S.C.O. do not spike my blood sugar at all, even after multiple blood glucose testings. A lifesaver and one of the tastiest foods ever.

Coconut oil. The Lou-Ana brand is okay but there's one in a glass jar that I really like but I forget the name at the moment.

Burgers.

Bacon.

Real butter, real cheese and heavy cream.

Silk PureAlmond milk (unsweetened).
    I've also just discovered unsweetened coconut milk by the same company. Both are great stuff.

Healthy Life low carb bread. Usually available at Kroger. I still can't let myself have too much of it...I allow myself 4 slices per day, max. Same with various brands of low carb wraps.
    Kroger's Carbsmart yogurt. I have no idea why no other chain has tried this, since Kroger's always sell well.

Various sugar free sweeteners, syrups and whatnot. I know some folks say they should be avoided but I figure with the damage I'm offsetting from keeping insulin down, it's worth it in moderation.

Atkins bars, for the occasional snack. The considerably less expensive ones sold at Aldi are (I am convinced) made by the same company that makes the ones for Atkins.

There's other things I let myself have but these are the biggies off the top of my head.

Oh yeah...if I had to pick ONE word of advice for someone starting out on this path: buy a cheap blood glucose monitor and strips to test your insulin response to various foods. It'll save you a LOT of frustration over foods which are supposed to be lower carb or lower glycemic index, but you body doesn't agree, and others which you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn don't spike your sugar (like me and S.C. oats).

PS

At 5'10, I weighed 117 lbs when I graduated H.S. and had to get a low weight waiver to get into the military. Weighed all of 123 when I got out after 4 years. In my late 20s I started putting on the muscle and fat I couldn't have put on before to save my life. Then I let it get out of control by not thinking twice about it...took it for granted, felt fine, but my blood was turning to sludge. By my 30s I was nearing my fattest...low 180s, way too fat for my frame. Size 36 pants. Ridiculous...I was slowly but surely encasing myself in fat and premature death. Now I'm 152 in a 31 waist, a size I haven't seen since the early '90s. I'm no Adonis but I'm more lean than not. My blood numbers are all as good as they should be and I feel great. So all in all, not too shabby for an old dude of 45.

To those of you who are getting older but still have the hyper-metabolism of a mouse and/or no insulin issues - as I used to be - do be thankful for you are truly blessed.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I tried strict no/lo carbing a few years ago and found that it really affected my mood badly and the weight loss wasn't significant enough to justify it in my case. Plus, no energy in general. I now do what I call "sensible" carbs (mostly good carbs and bad carbs in moderation) and all is well, so long as I do my cardio at the gym.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I had the exact same problem when I started out. I had the low carb part down right (VERY low carb, in fact...Induction phase far longer than is recommended). The problem was that I was not eating nearly enough fat to make up the difference -- I thought I was, but I wasn't. Also, I was eating more protein than I needed. Believe it or not, excess protein can cause weight loss stalls because the excess can be turned into glucose, defeating the whole point of LC. So I quit for awhile, frustrated, until I heard what I'd been doing wrong. Once I figured it out, it all fell in place and I haven't looked back.

Not saying that's what was going on with you but my symptoms were exactly the same: little or no weight loss, even some weight gain while eating almost no carbs, no energy, bad mood...everything I'd read a LC diet is NOT supposed to do. But I was basically starving myself of fuel (fat) while not letting my body get fully into ketosis.

richgem likes this.
  13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I used to eat a semi-low-carb diet, low-fat, low-salt back when I was in my 20s. Actually, the goal was to eat a high-protein diet, but I also ate plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. I did eat potatoes, though, and often oatmeal for breakfast. And lean red meat, yogurt (unsweetened of course) and skim milk. Sugar and processed foods were completely out. My goal was to gain strength when working out in the gym, not to lose excess weight. Exercise is every bit as important as a good diet. One is not nearly as effective without the other, and both are necessary for good health.

The best foods come in their own wrapper.