Mühle R41, so good it deserves its own thread!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Simon Smailus, Jun 9, 2015.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have an r41 with the rose gold handle. mine is the 2013 model. I like mine. it provides a great shave that lasts way into the late afternoon. I usually use persona labsor Ladas blades with it. the handle is beautiful, but not the grippiest. I've used the head with other handles, and while they work great I still tend to use it the way it came.
    I would like to try the 2011 model. it's said to be even more aggressive than the tamed down 2013.
    I'm happy you found love for the razor. several don't.

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

David

PM sent.

3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

If Kevin is going to loan you one, and you decide you like it, you could always consider a Spitfire Cap from Aimsport. It is supposed to turn your 2013 into a 2011.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'll keep that in mind, thank you

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Simon Smailus I don't own a Mühle R41 Grande and if you don't mind me asking IF I'm not mistaken, the R41 Open Comb safety razor is rather aggressive right, and is ideal for those with thick or coarse beards correct.

My question is this R41 is not ideal for beginners correct who doesn't have a thick or coarse beards shouldn't attempt to try the R41, am I not mistaken or is their no bloody difference for beginner to try this for a real closer shave without harming their skin if you fully understand what I'm saying here.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2016
  6. Mojorisin35

Mojorisin35 Active Member

The R41 is one of the most aggressive razors you can buy. If you are a beginner I would suggest finding an adjustable razor and work your way up the scale until you can handle it wide open without any irritation, then try the R41.

Robyflexx and gwsmallwood like this.
  7. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Same here Kevin. If I don't have time to use my straight, I nearly always go to my R41. I initially bought the Maggardrazors.com bamboo handle but found I prefer the long handle from my Merkur 180.

I will admit, I still struggle with finding the right angle. One time I feel like the "teeth" are scraping my face, the next time it's the blade. Despite not having mastered it yet, I still really love my R41 (2013). Like the straight razor, you do need to slow down with this razor. It's not a Super Speed, it demands a level of attention. Like others have said, it is one of those razors that requires ZERO pressure to work. It's all about the angle of the dangle and generally only 2 passes.

I have had good luck with most all blades, but, my tender mug tends to get a bit of irritation when using Russian blades in this lady.

Thanks @Simon Smailus for starting this thread.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I would not recommend the R41 for a wet-shaving beginner. Too many other fine razors out there that are more forgiving. With poor technique or inadequate prep, the R41 can give a very harsh shave. Even regular everyday wet-shavers find the R41 too harsh and prefer other tools to accomplish the task.
    I love the R41 and yet, I have a rather light beard. Two passes generally is all I need to get a near-BBS shave with this razor.

Robyflexx, Keithmax and SpeedyPC like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I paid in blood to use my 2011 R41, now it is the standard by which I compare all my razors and shaves too. I like the 2013 but love the 2011. Now I can get a long lasting BBS with no irritation at all with it.

As mentioned you can get a Spitfire cap to convert your 2013 into a 2011. Also it is not a razor for a beginner. It takes a little longer to master than a mild DE because it cuts at almost any angle, which is also it's strong point. It was ultimately the gateway drug to straights. With 2011 I can adjust the aggressiveness by changing the angle, with a mild razor that adjustment window is much smaller.

For me the R41 is very picky about what blade I use, my prep and what software I use. It does punish mistakes harshly.

SevenEighth, Robyflexx and TheFiveO like this.
  10. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Thank guys for explaining the R41 understood ;):)

David Green, Robyflexx and TheFiveO like this.
  11. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Love it Keith! Well said!

Yes....I agree.

JSBal, Keithmax and Robyflexx like this.
  12. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I love my R41, but is not a razor I would recommend to learn wet shaving with -- the Merkur 34C or 38C along with the 89s (either Edwin Jagger or Mühle) are much better candidates for those new to DE shaving. As mentioned earlier, the Mühle R41 will punish you for any mistakes -- this razor is not at all forgiving.

If you feel fairly confident with your technique, then the R41 is a wonderful razor -- a word to the wise, though; keep your 89 or 34 handy during your first shaves with the R41. You may find that using it to shave the easier bits (cheeks, for example) and then finishing with your milder razor will allow you to ease into a comfort zone with this lovely beast of a razor -- once you are comfortable shaving with a Mühle R41, any other DE razor is a piece of cake!

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

14. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

Too many words, not enough pics, here is mine:

IMG_20141116_225444_187.jpg

David Green likes this.
  15. Hi Guys, after 3 years absence from DE/SR shaving I'm back. Having not used the r41 in all that time I learnt a valuable lesson this morning:

Don't overshave in your enthusiasm with the r41. Pain and tears will result!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Herm2502 likes this.
  16. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Welcome back to the fold. I can’t imagine what three years away from this hobby would feel like................especially having to shave with an electric or something even worse! :eek:

17. Sshhhh...don't tell anyone I've been using an electric braun and Gillette cartridges.

18. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

No wonder your R41 was acting like a scorned fraulein!

GatorJoe and Herm2502 like this.
  19. I'm not sure I have the right head on my r41 as before I took a break from DE shaving I was messing with swapping razor parts.

Does anyone know if the r41 top plate locator pins either side of the threaded bolt have flat or angled ends? (2013 model)

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

How's this.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk