Mühle R41, so good it deserves its own thread!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Simon Smailus, Jun 9, 2015.

1. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Simon Smailus you are one brave man. An R41 with a Feather blade? I'd end up in the emergency room at the hopital. I have sensitive skin - so I'm a mild razor sort of guy. Even at that, I once tried a Feather in one of my milder razors and ended up a bloody mess. I don't see 10 minute shaves in my future. Congratulations on your achievement I wouldn't/couldn't even try to go there.

2. Thanks for the photo.

I still cannot figure which is the r41. You'll notice the angle on one.

Does yours have the slope?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  3. One more photo from the end[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I think the one on the left is for an R89. I you put it on an R89 baseplate the posts should match the angle of the bottom as it slopes to the center pin.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Thank you soo much! The R89 top plate reveals more blade on the R41, this may well explain a rather rough and painful shave this morning! It's probably not a good idea to expose more blade on the R41!

Keithmax likes this.
  6. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on the Spitfire. I am tempted... Oops... Ordered... :)

Keithmax likes this.
  7. Hi John,

I also have sensitive skin, but it gets used to certain shaving methods over time. I find the sharper blades make for a smoother cut. Duller blades cause me skin problems.

Also, I add no pressure and only shave the foam. As the R41 is aggressive, this gets me a good close shave. I only do two passes and touch up.

Keithmax, Herm2502 and john zeiger like this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response. I respect your fortitude but think that I will stay with my mildish razors which is what I am comfortable with. Have a great day.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. SFTrooper

SFTrooper Active Member

I have been using the R41 (2013 version) as my daily driver for the past couple of years. I love how close it shaves, and with proper technique doing so without tearing up my face. I have learned to use a shallow angle (ride the cap) which allows me to get a DFS - BBS in two passes. My go to soaps are MWF and Tabac although I do mix in a Stirling soap or Proraso soap on occasion. I have been sticking with these soaps long enough to know how to build a proper lather that works for me. My favorite blades are Personna Lab Blues, Feathers, Polsilver Super IR, and Astra's. Any of these blades will last me a week of shaves (5-6). They all work for my face.

I have found that technique is at least 80 percent of the battle with the Muehle R41. Yes the blade probably makes a difference, but as long as my blade is sharp it seems to work fine when I use proper technique.

When starting out with an aggressive razor it is important to start slowly and figure out the technique that works best for your face. Proper pre-shave, lather, etc... is a given, but once you tame your aggressive razor by using proper technique, you will not hardly notice the aggressiveness any more.

Keithmax and SevenEighth like this.
  10. Does anyone else find that the R41 retires blades rather quickly? I get 1 to 4 shaves out of a blade depending on brand.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use the 2011 R41 and it does shorten blade life compared to other razors. But now I tosss all blades after 2 shaves regardless of razor. I’m a 4 pass shaver.

12. 4 Pass, please explain, I'm intrigued!

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a tough beard and if I don’t reduce it enough before the ATG pass I would get irritation. In order to get enough reduction in 2 passes I had to be too aggressive and ended up with irritation. So now I do WTG, XTG, XTG opposite direction and finally ATG. Now I get close irritation free shaves. Once I got my technique down I can do multiple passes without irritation.

Simon Smailus likes this.