Mach 3 shaving tips needed

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Leo K., Feb 21, 2017.

1. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I adore the Mach 3 design and style. I collect vintage handles of it too. But I'm having problems shaving around the side of my mouth. I always get weepers or cuts there.

How do you Mach 3 fans shave where the stubble is thick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I don't have any problems, but maybe try changing grains around the mouth?

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Fresh cartridge, wet the areas with water and build a better lather, possibly change the direction you shave.

Sometimes dry skin is the culprit. Consider moisturizing.

crackstar likes this.
  4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I wish I could give you some advice but I'm not a Mach 3 man. :)

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I've never used a Mach 3 cartridge, so I cannot give you specific advice. But don't modern cartridges have a single blade at the other side for detailed shaping?

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Try stretching the skin and using less pressure in your trouble spots. For my tough areas I do a WTG pass then XTG then XTG the other direction and final ATG. My theorem is for tough stubble use gradual reduction.

7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I shave WTG, relather and shave XTG around my mouth, never had a problem.

8. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thank you all! There's some good stuff here I'm trying in the morning. Aces!

9. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I had a wonderful shave with my Mach 3 this morning. I watched the pressure and the area around my mouth was just fine. What a sweet DFS in one pass with touch-ups. Aces!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's been years since I used a cartridge razor, but the Mach 3 was my cartridge of choice. My advice would be to use your tongue to push and stretch the sides of you mouth out, one side at a time(both would just look silly). Then, shave lightly towards the lips. If you get the irritation while going against the grain, then either stop doing it, or just use more soap. Oh, forgot to add. If you use canned goo, stop. Use a good quality soap, and brush. Your shaves will improve dramatically.

11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

^ use your tongue to push and stretch the areas around your mouth that needs more attention. You may be able to achieve the same thing by bulging your cheek with air.

I notice that a 3 blade cartridge is where it starts to get challenging to get into the tight places. Sometimes the shave head is just too wide to fit.

None the less, the Mach 3 is a very capable platform. You'll no doubt figure out what works for you.

12. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I've been enjoying my Mach 3 shaves. I've been lighter on pressure and doing a touch-up with new lather rather than trying to finish in one pass only. I use brush/soap and/or Barbasol depending on my mood.