Made my first Safety Razor Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jostalli, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Well I finally took the plunge and made my first shave using a Safety Razor. I am now on the hunt for the right blade. I have a sample pack for sensitive skin from the Razor Emporium. I started with the Gillette Silver Blue. It seems to be a decent blade, I just don't have anything to compare it to as of yet.

I am also sticking to just a NS pass (did 3) for a few days to work on my technique. Need to work on the blade angle.

Over all it was not real close but a decent shave with only one small nick.

[​IMG]

2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Great! Take it slow. Looks like you have a good setup. Enjoy the ride.:happy069:

RaZorBurn123 and GDCarrington like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice set up. Glad you have found us. You should check in on the Newbie thread so you can get a proper welcome from our members. Many happy shaves.
    welcome.jpg

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

you'll get tons of good advice here.
    I'll just say, listen to the razor. it will tell you what it's doing.
    looks like you have a good starting point.
    good luck, let us know how it goes

Radiotube likes this.
  5. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Welcome to the Den!

6. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Congrats, well done. Enjoy your shave.

7. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Congrats on your first shave! Technique is the key... Enjoy your new adventure .....

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Very Good for you! After you settle on a blade (Silver Blue is a great one IMHO) consider doing a 30day rule and focus on your technique. So glad you are here and enjoying it so far. Once you really have it all down, DE Wet Shaving is a relaxing and fun thing to do!

9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

With the Tech I prefer a nice sharp blade. Labs are the sharpest I have used. I am actually growing tired of my Tech.

Herm2502 and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats and well done. Just take your time and work on your technique. You'll be pleased with the progress you make over the month or so.

Clint

11. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats. Looks like a great set up. Remember the 3 T's of shaving: technicque, technique, technique.

13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

That tech razor is a good starter choice, very mild. Happy shaving!

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome and well done! Nice set-up. Just take it slow and remember: no pressure (take that literally as wel as figuratively ;) ). Happy Shavings!

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to Traditional Shaving, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Gordy likes this.
  16. td11793

td11793 Active Member

Congrats on your first shave! Nice setup & happy shaving!

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Keep it up!

18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: on your first of many, many "traditional" shaves!! Your doing correctly, don't worry about a close shave at first, concentrate on proper technique and angle, gentle pressure and an irritation free shave. Closeness will come with time. ;)

19. Edwin_Hernandez

Edwin_Hernandez New Member

Oh man you did it this time.... There's no way out... You're a wet shaver! Congrats and enjoy. Being a man and shaving like a real man feels good.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Congrats! Nice setup you have! :happy088: