Maggard MR13

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Robust Rob, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

I recently purchased a Maggard MR13. I really like this razor. More aggressive than my 1962 slim adjustable. I did notice that I had to hold the blade centered in the razor while I tightes the head. If I wasn't carefully I could have considerable more blade exposed on one side vs the other. Is this something thats common among three piece razors?
    The plating is pretty good for the price ( under $16). I got a close comfortable shave with wilkinson blades. I was careful to rinse off my hand as the smooth handle could be slippery with soapy fingers. All in all very happy with this razor. Has any one compared this razor to the Edwin Jagger DE89bl it's similar to? image.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. Zereoue20

Zereoue20 Active Member

I have the de89bl and haven't notice any aligment issues. I just toss it on there and it's good. It has some posts that go into the blade that line it up though. Haven't had the pleasure of trying the MR13, so I couldn't compare, though.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Alignment problems are not the norm with any of the 3 piece razors I've used(EJ89,Cadet OC,Vintage Gillette's, Weber)..I haven't used a Maggard MR13 yet,but I have used my EJ89 for two years without any blade alignment problems and I get "EXCELLENT" shaves..Of course the EJ,while "NOT" expensive, is about 3 times the price of the MR13. Where is the Maggard made? :)

Addendum: I did a little research. I'm still not sure where the MR13 is made, but the MR13 is pretty much an EJ89 clone. The handle (the ad claims) is plated brass, but the head is zamac(pot metal)..As are many new razors EJ included..From what I've read the plating and finish are very important on the heads of zamac razors for longevity...Apparently zamac will degrade if not properly plated or the plating is damaged...At any rate I think for the price it's a good starter razor,although I would contact Maggard about the blade alignment issues your having...

FYI if you enjoy the MR13 shave head,but find the smooth handle overly slippery with wet/soapy hands as I did on my EJ, you can change them with other handles(Weber,Vintage Gillette,Griest shaving,Durham Duplex,Sabi,Cadet,Parker) with better knurling at least I could on my EJ89..You can many times find Gillette 3 piece Tech's( I prefer the "Fat Handle Tech") on ebay for a decent price and they are all brass.:)

4. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

Could you post a picture of the inside of the head of your DE89 so I can compare image.jpg

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

These razors are made in either Pakistan or India and is a knockoff of the R89/EJ89 Muhle/Edwin Jagger design. Many of these come to the market under different names. They are not made to tight tolerances as you picture shows. I purchased a Maggard razor not for the head, but for the knurled handle that resembled a Weber handle. The head had the same alignment issues and was not used.

Here is a photo of an EJ89. This one aligns perfectly and I have had no issues with it.

[​IMG]

Good fortune to you.

Robust Rob likes this.
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I recently purchased an Maggard MR-1 razor that had a head alignment problem. This was quickly resolved with the vendor and the replacement is just fine. Getting great shaves and like it a lot

Robust Rob likes this.
  7. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

Thanks for the info guys

8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I was lucky. I got a Maggard MR1. It aligns perfectly and shaves great. The owners are also great to deal with. These are not "cadets", etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Azarius likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is the same one that I have. The two raised "bars" in the center outside of the holes and the alignment pins are straight and true. Hence a correct alignment.