Maggard MR8

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Aug 26, 2014.

1. fmckinney53

fmckinney53 New Member

Great job!!enjoy your MR8..What Fine scent do you own??

2. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

I got a sampler first that has 6 different scents, but I ordered full bottles of American Blend and Platinum

3. Razor Blade X

Razor Blade X Active Member

I'm late ... but just ordered mines...Will have it Tuesday (tomorrow)... what should I expect? Joelio how is it 2 months in?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  4. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's my favorite in my rotation. I use my cadet OC head with the handle and it's incredible. Super easy shave, the massive weight does all the work for you. Leaves me cleaner and smoother more quickly than anything else in my arsenal (including a Fat Boy, Black Beauty, Slim and New Short Comb).

Simply put, I love it.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Where does one find the Cadet?

6. cubancigar2000

7. Razor Blade X

Got my Maggard MR8 few hours ago. Will test it out tomorrow. Feels like I should paint it in "Hulk Smash" purple and green! Massive piece of art! It feels like a toil more than a razor. It's not unbearably heavy. It's just right. I'm no body builder... just feels substantial. Like it's ready to do the shaving for you. I just wish Maggard Razors sold other heads. I'd grab slant or open comb fort it.

Joelio likes this.
  8. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

You can get the Cadet OC head at shaveabuck.com

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

You can get Cadets as well as Sabi's and some others at shaveabuck.com. :)

10. 178-bplatoon

A Cadet OC from shaveabuck works VERY well with the MR8, as will a Weber and EJ shave head..:)

11. Razor Blade X

My ultra opinionated Maggard "Mr. 8" thoughts. You will not agree with me!

No other razor handle compares to a $25.00 all stainless steel handle in value. Comparable handles cost over $50 and are not ANY better unless they are 24k solid gold. The head is the standard Maggard Edwin Jagger clone head - mild enough and aggressive enough. Definately a winner! Those coming from cartridge shaves will laugh at all cartridge razors after touching this masterpiece! Among D.E. shaving the "MR. 8" (as I call it) commands respect. 5 Days shipping from click to purchase and me opening the box.

The Mr. 8's weight scares most people, but guess what the weight does? It keeps the blade properly anchored along the face for more efficient cutting! Now imagine that $35.00 April 2015 slant head on there? Effeciency at its max (will the 2 pass bbs be possible?). Your only work is to keep the angle steady while gravity just helps this Hulk: hack, mow, chop, and chip hair off. Take your time with this baby as its weight doesn't regard certain levels of skin imperfections (e.g. tall bumps). To combat this and not get a mole lopped off, use an ultra thick and slick shave soap like Stirling Soaps, HTGAM, Martin De Candre, or Maggards brand of super slick soaps.

I also suggest this not be your first D.E. razor as the weight has nothing else on the market to compare itself to. I'd recommend you grab a Maggard MR1 with it if you're new to D.E. shaving. The lighter weight one will teach you the angle with more accident forgiveness while this baby will help you master the 2 pass D.F.S. (damn fine shave) and B.B.S. (baby butt smooth). Ultimately, this is the absolute best and most value driven heavyweight D.E. razor ever made. I missed the first run, but I got it the second run! Haaah haaaaa - the second run has the cool Maggard Maple Leaf laser etched on the bottom that the 1rst run doesn't! Get one out your shave den will continue to suck! I wondered why I always saw people snapping up the Mr. 8 then using it as the missing component is their favorite FrankenRazor! Look yes it was very opinionated, but hey, $25, all SS, pretty, heavy. Can work with most other heads, why not gush all over this... D.E. shavers ate winning when stuff like this is on the market! It makes you wanna shave and scares you cartridge razor shaving friends into questioning their own manhood! Awesome! Good job +MaggardRazors.

Attached Files:

Joelio likes this.
  12. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

What $35 slant are you referring to? I've been looking to try a slant but can't find one for under $45! Spending more than that on a razor right now would probably cause me to be a divorced man!

13. Razor Blade X

I'll give you one hint... it'll be compatible with the Maggard Razors Mr.8.

14. Razor Blade X

They said it in a reddit q&a. It may come sooner if all goes well.

15. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Could Maggard be making their own slant? April would be just fine with me since it would fall right around my birthday!!!

16. cubancigar2000

Thank you, just what I was looking for

17. GeneralKinetics

The one problem with the Cadet OC head is that it has longer threads than every other head. Isn't that a problem in the MR8 handle?

18. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Not at all. The Maggard head has the same length threads as the cadet. They're probably made in the same factory! The cadet head its it like a glove!

The other thing that makes the MR8 a bit less universal is the size of the top of the receiver for the head. It's quite wide, but works very well with the Cadet head.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. GeneralKinetics

Nice. Sounds perfect :).

20. 178-bplatoon

I agree with all you say except for a few things.
    1) gold plating doesn't make a razor better, just more expensive.
    2) any decent shave soap will work, I use Arko.
    3)making this your first razor isn't a bad idea, it's a good idea, the weight is a plus for a newbie IMO.
    :)

Shotwell and Razor Blade X like this.