Maggard Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Maggard slant.jpg
    I sold my Merkur 37C slant years ago. I have since gotten a PAA Bakelite Slant, but I have had my eye on the Maggard slant head for a while now. When ordering some knots from Maggards Razors, I decided to go ahead and include the Maggard slant. Well, today, I had my first shave with it. I put it on a stainless fatty handle by Maggard, and I was blown away. I used one of my Rockwell Swedish Stainless blades in the razor. This combination was awesome. I got a BBS shave in just two passes with no irritation. It was so smooth. I had no problem finding the ideal angle. The extra weight of the handle made it feel like I was actually shaving with a substantial tool. I would highly recommend the Maggard slant head to anyone who has not used a slant. It is an easy and safe shaving tool. It also looks cool.

Edit: Here are some more pictures.
    The head is wide enough that the blade does not stick out on the sides.
    Maggard slant_05.JPG
    Maggard slant_02.JPG

Maggard slant_01.JPG Maggard slant_02.JPG Maggard slant_03.JPG Maggard slant_05.JPG Maggard slant_07.JPG Maggard slant_08.JPG Maggard slant_09.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor! I rather like the black & stainless look. Maybe someday I'll get a slant, after I nail down the "normal" DE first. How do you like the PAA Bakelite Slant?

Tdmsu, Jayaruh and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Wonderful Jim!! Very solid setup.

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    For me the PAA Bakelite Slant is more of a novelty. It is a little tricky to load, and it is very light. I got it because the price was right at the time, and I did not have a slant. The Maggard slant is way better.
    paa slant04.jpg

5. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I think they're neat, just being made of Bakelite. I somehow didn't imagine that it would rival the Maggard, but was curious what your thoughts on it were. From what I read so far, and confirmed by your review on the Maggard, that's probably the route I'd take - if and when I decide to try a slant. There seems to be a lot of favorable things said about the Maggard Slant - and Maggard's in general. I doubt I'd get the PAA Bakelite, even though I like the looks/concept of it....unless, of course, I run out of other stuff to buy! ;)

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Just curious... have you tried the Fine slant?

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Are the blade alignment pins big enough to align the blade perfectly?

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have not.

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I went back and took a look. The pins seem to taper, so as you tighten the head the blade aligns very well. I checked with several blades. It is pretty close to perfect.

FaceScraper and Engblom like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Maggard Slant head for newsletter subscribers available through labor day weekend for $13 delivered ($11+shipping). Check your email. I bought one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    FaceScraper likes this.
  11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

That sure is a beautiful razor. I'm sure I've missed many pics in posts of all Bakelite razors, but that just happens to be the first one that's caught my eye. It's really a sharp looking piece.

FaceScraper and Jayaruh like this.