Maggard's!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by battle.munky, May 31, 2017.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I receive Maggard's newsletter and last week or so they had an offer I chose not to refuse. I needed a few knots for some handles I'm getting made and I've been wanting a stainless razor. I grabbed a 30mm and 22mm synthetic knot each and also a slant head and normal aggression head, both gray, and the blue anodized MR17 handle.

I've only used the slant head and the handle so far but I'm digging it. Their quality seems to be ok on the handle and the heads both seem perfect. The anodizing on the head is a little purplish in the grooving on half of the razor and there are a few scratches from handling. Its a chunk of steel so I'm not overly upset with the "ok" quality. Still, I'd love to have had it perfect but it'll do and I don't feel ripped off.

Shipping was quick @ 4 days from order to door.

I've ordered from them before and I'd order from them again.

I'm super lazy but I'll try to get a SOTD pic or two and post it.

BamaT, RyX, Demidog and 7 others like this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Love Maggard's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Maggards is great. Their customer service is excellent.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, they are great. Good stuff, good service.

5. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I have zero experience ordering from them and I have never used one of their razors, but I have heard very good things about them. I do have one of their 24mm synths in my Jayaruh and it feels very nice for a synth.

6. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Agree
    I bought an aftershave that had the oddest sunburn warning based on some ingredient that covered a week after using the product. After checking the sure and product description again they took it right back and I bought something else and paid the difference. Stand up folks.

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Douglas Carey and battle.munky like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yeesh. I wonder what that ingredient might have been. It's something my family would need to watch out for. (three redheads with white skin)

BamaT, Douglas Carey and battle.munky like this.
  9. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

It specified it in the warning but sorry I don't remember. Honesty had never seen a warning like that before.

Douglas Carey and battle.munky like this.
  10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Great people in a great store. Always my first choice.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll be getting back to them again. Only product I have from them thus far is the Local Gent Shaving Co. Fields & Streams.

battle.munky likes this.
  12. battle.munky

Getting a cocobolo and some really cool looking black and silver acrylic handles made. A friend of mine has a lathe and makes pens and wanted to give it a shot. He makes really pretty pens and I'm hoping the handles will come out the same. All I really know so far is that 30mm is friggin huge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like the stuff so far. If it weren't for the different coloring in the grooves on the handle I'd have nothing to complain about and it doesn't warrant me contacting Maggard's even.

Look at the twist on the slant, it looks quite evil. Shaves nice!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice Bob. Biggest brush I used was a Chubby 2 and that was too big for me. Not sure how the 30mm synth will compare, but it's big...

Enjoy. Post a couple pics when you get the handles.

battle.munky likes this.
  14. battle.munky

I plan on it. I'm hoping they are going to be amazing.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Here is a quick little story from Rod at Stirling Soap that sort of sums it all up about them:

[Questioner on a Reddit Forum]:

"You shared a pretty touching story with the mods a few months ago that exemplified both yours and Maggard's approach to business. It centered around why they had only started carrying Stirling products at that point and not sooner.

Maybe now is a good time to share? I'm sure others would like reading it."

[Stirling Soap]: (Rod)

"I had previously had a few short conversations on reddit with Casie, and I knew from that and from how they treat their customers that Brad and Casie were good people. However, Mandy and I had always wondered why they had never approached us about carrying our soaps. We weren't sure if it was because of the lower margins because of our prices, or if perhaps we'd done something wrong along the way and they didn't want to be associated with us. Brad did reach out to us last summer about carrying Stirling at Maggard Razors, and I asked him if there was a reason why they hadn't carried us, when it seemed like they were snatching up soap from every new artisan.

His response, to be frank, floored me. They didn't want to hurt our business. Because we are not just artisans, but also vendors (albeit on a much smaller scale than they), they feared that them carrying us would cut down on our own website traffic and sales. We talked about that, and they were completely understanding that if that situation did present itself, we would simply end the wholesale relationship. So far, that hasn't been the case. The best case scenario was that Stirling would sell well for them, and bring in new customers for us. That seems to be what has happened for the most part. They have resisted requests from customers to carry our samples and our seasonals, instead telling customers that we deserve those sales.

The fact of the matter is that you don't see that kind of stuff very often. There are examples aplenty just in the wetshaving world of vendors or artisans that are greedy and dishonest, or just plain scammers. To have a company legitimately care about your business, even though you've never even met, is the definition of "above and beyond" in my book. Maggard Razors is a titan in wetshaving, and deservedly so."

Both of these vendors epitomize class to me, and are why they get most of my business.

17. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Mine as well.
    I find maggards to be everything one would want.
    I've never had a problem, and would expect they'd take of it if i did.

18. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, but those heads aren't stainless. They are plated Zinc alloys. Still good razors for the prices, just don't drop them.

battle.munky likes this.
  19. battle.munky

Yep @gwsmallwood , I knew that going into the purchase. Thanks for mentioning that in case anyone thinking of buying one or more of the heads sees this and didn't know. Its actually a bit reckless of me not to have clarified that.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  20. battle.munky

That's a great little read man, thanks for dropping it in here.

PickledNorthern likes this.