Mama Bear Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by matteob, Jun 26, 2017.

1. matteob

matteob Active Member

Hi guys I have been meaning to try Mrs Bear's soaps as, unlike a lot of US vendors, her postal charges internationally are not extortionate. Can anyone share their experiences of her soaps? I am tempted by the Brute. How close to the original are her scents? She has some iconic ones listed.

2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I used to use her soaps and its a quality product. The scents that she offers arent quite the same as the ones she compares them to but theyre pretty close. I used to use her Aged Spice and its pretty close to Old Spice but not exactly the same.

matteob likes this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have tried a few of Mama Bear's and have found them to be good quality. Interesting variety of scents.

matteob likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I too had a few Mama Bear's soaps in my den. I found them to be underwhelming. I have moved on. However, they might work really well for you.

Yehuda D, Spyder and matteob like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I really like Mama Bears... and I helped design the Czar's Choice (lime-cilantro) sent. :drool: Available with or without menthol added. The hard part will be deciding which scent(s) you want to purchase.

Just note that the first several lathers with MB soaps can be suboptimal as glycerine-based soaps (like hers) tend to form a skin on top as they cool down. Once you break through this skin (hot water soak and a finger nail scrape usually works well), you can get at all the soapy goodness beneath.

Yehuda D, matteob and mrchick like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Mama bear soaps work well, but like others...I have moved on to better products. Her thing is that she has a full body care/skin care line...WAY more than just soaps.
    She also has an incredible amount of scents, many if which are dead on to the originals.

I actually have a review thread on mama bear soaps if you care to look it up in here.

matteob likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is, they seem to be nothing better than melt and pour soap with better scents.

Primotenore and Yehuda D like this.
  8. matteob

matteob Active Member

Hmmmm some mixed responses...
    Thanks guys we will see.

Spyder likes this.
  9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Id agree that theres better options out there. I think that if scent is your primary concern, her soaps are a very good option but if cushion and slickness are what youre after, theres better options.
    I also found that theres many other soaps that perform just as well and last much longer. I normally could use up a puck of her soap in about 2 months. With most other hard soaps, I can easily get twice as much use out of them.

Spyder likes this.
  10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I've tried several Mama Bear soaps which I really didn't like and several others which I thought were pretty good. The ones I liked very the most were Cilantro Iced Lime and Lemon Ice, as well as the Old Spice.

Spyder likes this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

According to this thread at Damn Fine Shave, Mama Bear Soaps is closing at the end of the year. This has been announced in years past, but never came to pass. Maybe it is just a way to move inventory? Or perhaps this time it is for real?

Spyder likes this.
  12. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

I own the fragrance Royal Water from Creed. Her "Bounty" version shave soap is a perfect match IMO. It's the only soap I will use for Royal Water from now on. If I'm going for more than 1-pass+minor-cleanup (ie, if I am going to do 2 full passes or more) then I use pre-shave oil with Mama Bear Soap. A full second lathering after a first pass has a 'chance' to give a little burning sensation, but if I apply pre-shave oil before the shave this doesn't happen. Most people don't report any irritation with her soaps though. They are good shave soaps.

Spyder likes this.
  13. matteob

matteob Active Member

No harm in trying her stuff. I'll place an order.It is sad people have abandoned her so much so that she has to close. Anyone calling herself Mama Bear gets a smile and goodwill from me. looking at her sit though she has a massive range and quite a nice shop and caters for women as well as men so it is odd. I think it is sad ahe does not experiment though. Her English equivalent Sharon at Nanny's Silly Soaps experiments a lot: two ranges of vegetable based shave soaps and a recently introduced tallow. It's surprizing as Mama Bear seems to work the forums like Sharon.

Spyder likes this.