March '16 - 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 28, 2016.

?

Do you chase the baby?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2016.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Sometimes

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Almost never

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. Baby? I thought you said cookies

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

A great wrap-up Bama, I'm in awe of you and all the straight/pain-stick users who have multiplied here sooo quickly. It's great to see such a great mix of shavers helping each other out.
    :smiley respect:

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Thank you, kind Sir! I am nominating you as CIO (Chief Injector Operator) for the 30DC. You've really hit a groove on the Schick and Eversharp style injectors! I really enjoyed using the G, I can now say from experience that a good G shave is on par with straights in terms of closeness.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd like to congratulate @waffen and all of our March Newbies!
    Thank you @Boojum1 @PickledNorthern @LuvWetShavin and @Linuxguile for your generous donations, it's your support that makes TSD the best shaving forum on the web and beyond.
    Sincerely
    Kerry

5. Bama Samurai

6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Ha, I still feel like I'm wearing my newbie beanie!

Sooo intense was the RAD for both DEs and injectors that I'll need almost two years of 30 Day Foci to give them all adequate attention. Not being able to do straights (due to a medical condition) is almost a blessing- a natural thinning of my options and one less RAD.

The best part of all, is the depth of appreciation of turning this routine chore into daily gleeful anticipation.

Cheers!
    RT

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

My first time to join the group and I do think I achieved my Focus,

"If I had one thing I'd consider focus worthy I'd lay my DE's aside and spend more time with a straight razor."

Kicking off the training wheels by not using a DE to touch up enlightened me to where I really am skill wise.
    I fizzled during the last few days. Some times real life and the needs of others takes precedence.
    Rather than make a commitment to the next month I shall be revisiting my FatBoy, and spending time learning the intricacies of SE razors. The Bunny will be in my den one day. I also expect a Rocnel to show up. I'll be using mine, not even tempted to Ebay it.

Thank you @Bama Samurai for providing this Safe Place for us to learn and share!

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

For my focus this month, I was going for two pass and touch up. I got at least a DFS on every shave, but some were better than others. Limiting the number of passes forces you to focus on making sure you get the parts you want to shave on the first go. My normal N/S then S/N, then XTG pattern has shifted some to accommodate this. I do the N/S pass, then XTG on the chin, jaw, and neck, and S/N above the jaw. Touch ups on the jaw line will get almost everything after that. My other focus for this month was using a lot of the razors I have had out to have work done on them. I discovered I really, really, really, really like the edge from a Sharpton 30k ceramic on New York/ Pennsylvania steel. I then looked up the cost on a series of these hones, to go up to 30k. It would be over 1200 bucks. I really like them, but I don't see that going over well with SWMBO. I will stick with my three Waterstones, and the few naturals I do have. I am getting better with them. I have also found a few pastes that do really well to fine tune an edge and refine it further. I have enjoyed watching everyone's adventures this month. I even went out and bought some SE and injector blades, I just haven't put the straights down long enough to try them. This closes out 15 consecutive 30 day focuses for me. See everyone in April's!

9. Bama Samurai

Thanks for the kind words!

In the mood for "Attack Angle April"?

(find optimal angles on your FB and SE?)

Interesting point about adjustable razors: Adjusting the dial setting causes a corresponding marginal change in optimal attack angle in relation to the handle position while shaving.

10. Bama Samurai

I liked that you did the two pass focus. It's a great exercise to increase precision and reinforce routine. Good month!

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Excellent write up. I great intro for anyone interested in starting to shave with a straight razor. My path and experience was very similar. If it is possible this would make a great sticky for the Straight Razor sub forum.

12. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Well, my 30-day focus has come to an end and I can say this was a very beneficial experience for me. With that having been said, I'm happy I can get back to doing some experimenting with some of my other shave gear. I won't be doing a 30-day focus for April, because I'll stop shaving in two weeks. But for now, I'm very pleased with the results of March's 30-day focus. And as of now, I've enjoyed my first shave of the month with my Rolls Razor Imperial No. 2.

Thanks for doing this 30-day rule/focus, @Bama Samurai. This was a lot of fun for me and quite the learning experience!

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Chris, this is a fantastic summary. You have made tremendous progress over the past three months with straight razor shaving! :eatdrink047:

I got busy this month with some other things, so the March focus took a backseat. I hope to be more active in April with my straight razor and my beautiful Red Tip gifted to me by Douglas Carey. :)

14. Bama Samurai

Glad to hear it Charlie, and thank you!

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Refrigerator passes away last night. Back tomorrow.

clint64 likes this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Good luck Doug.

Douglas Carey likes this.