March 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Feb 28, 2017.

?

Rule or Focus this month?

1. Rule! It's all about solid technique!

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Focus on soaps/creams

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Focus on blades

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Focus on a razor or razors

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  5. Focus on brushes

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Cleaning house baby - stuff's gonna PIF!

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Shenanigans

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. Focus? On cookies!

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have a question for the brush guys. My Bride and I visited the Louisville Slugger Museum this past weekend. We toured the bat production line, and the CNC lathe was turning out bats at 2 per minute. I have two bat "nubs" cut off after the lathing step. Are they large enough to hold a decent commercially available knot? Approximate dimensions are 1.25" (top) x 1.5" (bottom) x 2.5" (high). I thought it would be kinda cool to have a Slugger brush.

Bat nubs.jpg

The museum displays signatures of every professional baseball player who has ever had a Slugger contract.

Pee Wee Reese.jpg Babe Ruth.jpg Players.jpg

And, for some reason, I thought of our Insane Shaving Dude when I saw this quote. :happy097:

Wagner Quote.jpg

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think if you can get the hole drilled without splitting it, you could fit a 20 or 22 mm knot in it with enough to spare for sanding it up. 1.25" is 31mm, so that would leave a little space.

@Jayaruh would be the one to know for sure.

3. wristwatchb

[​IMG]

Yes, I'm envious. :)

SharptoothC, ob1page, NCoxSTL and 4 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

1.jpg

5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The way I convert the numbers 1.25"= 31.75 mm, 1.50" = 38.1 mm, and 2.5" = 63.5 mm.
    I agree that a 24 mm hole for a 22 mm knot should work. The other dimensions should be good. You will have to go light on the sanding IMO. Certainly @Jayaruh and @clint64 may have a better idea than I.
    BTW, very impressive photographs.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Jedi? We're listening. :happy088:

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hi Mark! Welcome aboard.

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

My first shave for the month won't be until tonight or tomorrow morning, but I'm in for another month.

This will probably be another no-focus Focus or a series of mini-foci. I've got a couple of razors from @Morman Bridge's PIF that I haven't tried plus at least one that I want to go back and take another swing with. I also have a couple of blades I want to take another look at and I have at least another couple of weeks without wife or daughter around so I can play a bit with soaps and things that smell funny. :)

That should be enough to keep me busy for March.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jared and Doug are spot on. A 22 mm plug should work which would be 24mm as it exits. That is certainly large as you could go. It might be better to go 22mm hole for a 20mm plug.

SharptoothC, mrchick, NCoxSTL and 5 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A 20 mm flattop might be a really awesome look in there for badger, and would feel like a bigger knot. You can get a lot of shaving done with a 20 mm boar if you like the idea of that look better.

11. wristwatchb

Thanks, guys, for the feedback!

What do you think about a 18 mm TGN Finest or 19 mm TGN High Mountain White? Is there another natural hair knot you might consider?

12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Im in. I will be alternating between Gem Micromatics and Shick Repeaters this month.

13. wristwatchb

Welcome Gents! :happy088:

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_5099.JPG

March 1 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Dettol Fresh SC
    Gillette Fatboy
    Gillette Platinum Plus blade
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman AS

Day one of my March Madness No Focus Focus. I went with a cream that has seen very little action since I acquired some. The performance is actually pretty good, but I am not a huge fan of the house hold cleaner type scent. It isn't bad, but it isn't too pleasant either. I did whip up a nice lather, though. It was also nice to get back to a DE after the couple of disposable shaves. Man, was the Fatboy ever comfy this morning. All in all, this was a good start to my months of shaves. I hope everyone has a great day!

15. wristwatchb

Jim, I really like the colors and perspective in your photo. That would make a fantastic shave den print! Travel safely this week!

16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive used both of those knots in restorations and have been extermely happy.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Either one will work the HMW should have a softer face feel

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Charlie! I appreciate your kind words!

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Lovely filter effect and a great start to March.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That makes more sense to me Clint. :happy088: Good idea!