March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Adam. I find I have to change out brushes and soaps at least weekly to stay interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Jason!
    I don't have much experience with different blades. I have used Derby, Voskhod, Personna Lab Blues and The Astras. The Astras being my favorite so far. They are very smooth in my other razors but pull more in the S1. My sampler pack has most of the usual suspects except for Kais. I was going to ask you guys for suggestions on the next blade to try. Not sure if Feather would be the best choice or if I should sneak up on those.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think I’m interested, and I know it’s a first world problem, but dealing with half blades (storage and disposal) on the road is a hassle sometimes, compared to my other traveling options. One that takes a full blade is a thought.

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Neal, it's taking all the strength I can must not to post any funny salesman-wearing-kilt photos. I hope the thread moves past this topic quickly, or else I might buckle under pressure. :D

5. wristwatchb

Newbies, please pay attention...here are the first two steps to enlarge your collection of shave gear:

1. Google a new shaving item that you've seen in someone's SOTD photo. Check.
    2 Go back to the user and ask more questions about it. Check.

6. wristwatchb

Shave gear accumulation step 3. Check.

7. PickledNorthern

Don’t have to worry about me, I’m on a NB.

FaceScraper, sdguero, mrchick and 8 others like this.
  8. wristwatchb

Shave gear accumulation step 4. Check. Note: this is the point of no return!

9. wristwatchb

Not sure what you're talking about. Absolutely no worries here. :rofl:

Here is the user review on the Vanta from the Maggards website:

"The Best, got one from a vender in Italy and the tax and shipping was almost as much as the shavette What makes this one so good the ends of the blade are protected so no protruding blade ends and this model will take a half DE blade or a full DE blade Have other more expensive shavettes but this is my #1 :) Good price here made this a no brainier."

And oh my goodness, you can load a whole DE blade and it looks so easy. Start vid at 3:00. Please don't look at the other shavettes in the video. You're on a NB, and it would be too tempting. I can look at them, though, as I'm on a Buy 2018.

10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

My first lather bowl was a Jays Clays that I got from Amazon. Beautiful bowl but I felt it was too small. I decided on a large Captains Choice. Love it. I have no urge for another lather bowl. That may change because I'm seeing some beauties being posted.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. PickledNorthern

My NB ends at midnight, so I can look.

12. wristwatchb

Adam, I'm glad to see you hanging in there with the Leopard shavette. Good idea to mute the tips on the blades. My experience is similar to yours. If I perform a multi-pass shave with my shavette, I don't need to shave a for at least two days. So that I can shave each day, I'm just doing a simple, one-pass WTG shave with a few touch ups around my mouth and chin area. This has eliminated most of the potential for irritation and lets me play with my shaving toys every day. I also had trouble at first with letting the blade tips irritate my neck area. I really had to back off on the pressure and watch the blade angle closely to keep this from happening.

I hope everything is going well on your home construction project. :)

13. PickledNorthern

@Norcalnewb -Does the whole blade being fully recessed like that make it hard to use? The dead space on the ends looks maybe cumbersome?

14. wristwatchb

Absolutely no harm in looking as many times as you want.

Shave gear accumulation step 5.

Letting nature take its course from here on out... :D

15. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well it might bring too much sexy to the thread too. So it's nice you resisted.

FaceScraper, sdguero, RyX and 9 others like this.
  17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sunday March 18 - sampling onwards

Gillette Fatboy on 5 / Gillette 7 O'clock (Russian) (1)
    JR #267 boar brush
    The Dry Dock shave bowl
    B+M Latha Sandalwood soap
    Alum and TSD Milk Aftershave Sandalwood
    IMG_00000201.jpg

A good dollop of soap in The Dry Dock was easily whipped into copious lather by the new boar brush. Absolutely no trouble with this brush loading or dispensing lather. Compared to the creams I just used, the Latha Sandalwood has a light scent, although that may be because the sample is getting old. Performance is okay but nothing that would make me rush out to buy a tub. (Fortunately because the entire Latha line is now discontinued.)

The 7 O'clock blade is both sharp and very smooth when compared even to the better Lord Super Chrome blades. (The Super Stainless weren't even in the same league.)

Two passes to an almost perfectly smooth face. One small weeper on my goatee area where I nicked a pimple needed a touch of the styptic pencil to disappear. Other than that, a great shave.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Lots of good blades. If you like Astras, you’d probably enjoy many of the Russian Gillettes. Many have been listed recently on the thread.

FaceScraper, sdguero, NCoxSTL and 8 others like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Jason. I have the Silver Blues and Platinum. Decisions decisions. Probably Feather.

Maybe...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

March 18, 2018

Razor: Pre-War Gillette Tech
    Blade: Nacet Stainless (3)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: Williams

Another crazy last few days, so this is the first shave since Wednesday. I was feeling in a pre-War Tech mood, so I risked moving the Nacet from the post-War Tech. No problems with that, though, and I ended up with a comfortable BBS. The VdH Boar continues to hang onto its bristles now that I know to soak it before use.

A great shave for a quiet Sunday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.