March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I think the Feather DX are great looking shavettes. Excellent photo!

FaceScraper, sdguero, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Nice-looking razor with a pretty unique baseplate/top cap combo. Ditto to hearing how you enjoy it @GawainandtheGreenKnight.

FaceScraper, sdguero, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Well, everyone, I'm back from the land of Mickey Mouse. We had a great trip! Quite tired, and hopelessly behind on the thread. I'll just have to pick up where I am at this point.

The kids had a tremendous time and the weather was beautiful. Enjoy this little picture of us marching down Main Street in the Magic Kingdom!

IMG_2321.JPG

4. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Edwin Jagger DE89
    Gillette Silver Blue (3)
    Semogue 1305
    Proraso Red Preshave
    LEA Shave Stick grated into OS Mug
    Speick AS Splash
    Cremo AS Balm

I'm a forgiving man, perhaps to a fault. I decided to give the LEA one more more shot, after watching some YouTube videos. I loaded that sucker for at least a minute and half whipped up lather which looked looked pretty good. Shaped it on went to town, and immediately it began to breakdown and dry out. I proceeded to rush through the first pass, which went ok. Got a nice nick on my lip, which I wish I could blame on the soap, but alas it was my fault. I lost concentration when I heard my three year old coming bombing into the bathroom. I proceed to reload the brush for pass two and three same story with the lather. Felt like I was dry shaving at several points. Because my technique has improved so much, I was able to salvage a DFS+, all the trouble spots smooth, the upper lip looks like a war zone. As for the LEA, I removed it from the mug and pitched it in rubbish bin. I have a stick of Speick I will grate into the mug at a later date. Sorry, for the novel, have a nice evening and Monday everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Norcalnewb

Looks like a great trip, Perry! Welcome back.

sdguero, clint64, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  6. jtspartan

We all have a soap like that. One that folks seem to like that just doesn’t seem to work for you personally. Don’t feel bad about binning it!

FaceScraper, sdguero, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

Sounds and looks like a super trip, Perry.

sdguero, PLAla, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have just one question Neal. Regimental?

It can cost you nothing. Most folks list their items as (Asking Price ) + (Shipping cost).

Be aware that TSD Classifieds has Rules. One that will catch you right now is #2 - gotta be a member for 3 months. When or if you list items be aware that you may place one listing for as many items as you like each month.

No apologies needed! Be brief if you choose, or spin a tale. You may mention something that another 30 DC member has experienced and found solutions. If no one knows what's causing your issues we can't offer advice.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness!!!

March 18

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Stirling Ozark Mountain
    Brush - Stirling Synthetic Pro Type
    Post - Alum

Third and final shave with the Fatboy on 9 and Perma-Sharp. If I was going to buy a 100 pack of Russian Gillette made blades this is one I would seriously consider. This blade, along with the Gillette Silver Blue, are the best two blades from St. Petersburg, in my somewhat biased opinion. I was able to focus a bit better, remind myself it was on 9, and get a BBS with nearly silent alum tonight. Fine, fine shave and the scent of the Ozark Mountain soap just made it that much better.

With that shave the Fatboy is packed away waiting to move, along with the soap, and I'll be reverting to my "final razor" for this location. From here to the end of the move I'll be using my 1959 Super Speed, along with a few more Russian blades. I'm going to go with Arko and Proraso as my soaps for the next two weeks. Going old school and simple to keep getting things in boxes.

While packing stuff I ran onto a digital camera that I have no idea where it came from. My wife swears she's never seen it before, so somewhere along the line it somehow fell into our possession. Asked a couple of friends that I thought might have left it here but nobody seems to know anything about it. No battery, but it has a memory stick in it. I have ordered a batter and charging cable for it so I should be able to figure out where it came from once those arrive. If it's still a mystery I may have stumbled onto a better camera for taking pictures. Not sure I can still use a real camera as opposed to a phone!

Hope your week starts out great tomorrow! It's hump day for me so my weekend is closer than yours. Yeah, I know, don't rub it in.

March 18.jpg

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well, as they say, it isn't a skirt. It's a kilt. :eatdrink047:

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I borrowed a kilt since I don't own one. An interesting experience but not enough that I want to buy. Out in public the question happens more often that expected. Somehow it's OK to ask a guy if he is or isn't, but quizzing a woman on her decision is not an option.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes I have had a lot of questions as well. I wore mine when SWMBO and I were married and have worn it on a number of other occasions. I've never worn it to work but have threatened a number of times. There is a large population of Scottish and Irish descendants in this area so seeing someone in a kilt isn't all that shocking.

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 8 others like this.
  13. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I was going to list over on the Bay, but didn't know how much to list for shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, Drygulch, RyX and 5 others like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

So was I until I found these this morning.[​IMG]

FaceScraper, MR41, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

WOW!!! Something about those jumps out. The one on the right the most.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Going to pull my my trailer right into the middle of the Country Club. Great shave today from a Flying Wing with a CVS blade. The lather from the well broke in VDH boar and VDH soap was outstanding! Kinda feel sorry for folks who are not me tonight. Still feeling the love!
    [​IMG]

FaceScraper, MR41, mrchick and 12 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It costs 7.20 for a Priority Mail, Small Flat Rate Box. You can save a buck or two with your own box and go first class sometimes. Sometimes it comes out exactly the same as priority and priority includes $50 insurance. So to completely cover yourself, and let fellow razor idiots they will soon have their product in hand, tell them: Shipped well packaged, tracked and insured, Priority Two Day f9r $7.20.

If it is a lower priced item, your cheapest way would be to box/wrap and stuff into a padded mailer.

18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Life is too short to waste on mediocre soap. If it doesn't work for you -- and others work very well -- get rid of it.

N.B.: Ditto for blades, brushes, razors and aftershaves...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  19. Norcalnewb

2F6F938F-953B-4C4C-BD27-119635F0D09E.jpeg

March 19 SOTD:

Razor: Razorock Hawk V2
    Blade: Feather AC Professional Super
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Lather: Arko Cool
    Aftershave: Fine Platinum
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

I went with a new blade sent to me by @wristwatchb this morning. It was maybe not quite as smooth as the Kai I had been using, but I ended with a high grade DFS after two passes, so it is hard to argue with the results. I want to see how the next few shaves go with this one. I hope everyone has a great day!

MR41, Keithmax, mrchick and 10 others like this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Micromatic Day 117

Gem ClogPruf
    Gem PTFE
    Semogue BC Mistura
    CTAPT SC
    Superior 70

My lather was a bit off, not the smoothest shave, but not bad...

FaceScraper, MR41, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.