March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Sounds exciting. We are doing our 2nd bathroom ‘next’ and it will be a similar gut job to yours. SWMBO has already bought the antique claw foot and hardware. Unlike you, and Adam, and Clint, I haven’t yet figured out how to contract these projects out.
    Full disclosure, though- As much as I joke about my wife asking for all these renos, I enjoy the finishing work and do consider it a hobby. You mentioned crown moulding- to me, that along with baseboards and door/window trim can really make a room.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Agreed. Just be up front about the shipping cost, and which method you are going to use. A buyer might contact you and ask to ship a cheaper method. Up to you. Personally, I would rather pay a couple/few extra dollars to have the package properly packed, and shipped boxed.

3. PickledNorthern

Absolutely. I am honestly always a little [cringey] disappointed/nervous when I see an item show up that way, even if it ends up okay.

4. PickledNorthern

Personally, that makes me look elsewhere.

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice picture, Andrew!

6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Jim!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Agreed. I taught my children to pick TV commercials apart.

"Order before midnight and get the second one free!
    Just pay separate shipping and handling charge..."

Televisions have gotten larger and gone high def but the fine print continues to be so tiny you can't read it when it's flashed across the screen. Fortunately there's enough stupid shoppers to keep the hits coming. Sauna Pants anyone?

8. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Been away last couple days and well over 100 posts behind. Think I'll wait till morning for a shave and finish off the copper hat soap . I'm going to finish out the month with the Colgate puck Fuzzy sent me . I kinda missed the Luxor last 2 days . Lol Have a great night everyone.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

March - I found my green shave!

Proraso Green SS
    B-400 Tuxedo synthetic
    Suribachi bowl & cool water
    Schick Golden 500 Hydromagic
    Osage Rub, Proraso Green lotion
    SOTD 03192018.gif Spring is in the air and the menthol felt good today. I haven't found a Proraso product that I don't like. Need to get the Sandalwood scented post shave liquid so the Red gets more face time. I enjoy using a Hydromagic for the gimmicky flip lever that allows better rinsing. Otherwise it's a mild shave as the later injectors tend towards. I did my plenty of passes plus a couple and scored between CCS & DFS. Splash of Osage followed by the minty Green for a nice finish.
    Did anyone enjoy a McDonalds Green Shake this year? Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi didn't get the option.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

FaceScraper, MR41, Drygulch and 14 others like this.
  11. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 3.19.2018
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VHD Badger
    Cream: KMF Cool Mint Moisture Shave
    Razor: CJB pain stick
    Blade: Feather Professional (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Original WH, Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer AS

The self-induced slice on my left jaw has healed nicely, so I returned to the CJB focus today. The KMF Cool Mint provided a slick, protective barrier. I took my time, used careful strokes and focused on the angle. I'm pleased to announce I succeeded in completing a DFS without spilling any blood. I did a single pass, with some minor clean-up on the neck and I was done.

Have a great week everyone!
    sotd 3.19.2018.jpg

FaceScraper, MR41, Drygulch and 14 others like this.
  12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I threw caution to the wind and did a 1 passer with the Luxor. Not something Sinatra would approve of but it's better than the scratchy feeling and still better than the first few shaves when I started with the shavette. That shows improvement. Have a good evening gentlemen.

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

300 posts behind, but who's counting?

CRSW Barbiere Sapone
    Maggard Plissoft
    Weck Sextoblade
    TSD Barbershop AS

Two passes to glory.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, MR41, Drygulch and 15 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness!!!

March 19

Razor - 1959 (E1) Gillette Super Speed
    Blade - rapira-swedish-supersteel.jpg (1)
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Stirling Two Band Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Well, as the packing has picked up the pace I've got things in my den pretty well ready to go. I have my '59 Flare Super Speed left out along with the Stirling Two Band Synthetic brush, Proraso Green and Arko in a mug, and a few blades. I also have the Merkur 23C still out for my head shave this week. Tonight I loaded the SS with a Rapira Swede, broke out the Proraso and went to work. Proraso was my first soap when I started and it doesn't get much attention from me anymore. Kind of a shame since all it does is produce great lather and slickness and the menthol/eucalyptus is a nice touch.

Three passes to a near-BBS and I'm going to do well for the next week and a half or so with this razor. It's foolproof so if my mind is wandering on other things I shouldn't cut my throat.

I mentioned the mystery camera the other night. Lo and behold, my wife found the battery and charger and data cable for it while clearing out the top of the closet in our office. Naturally she'd find them today since I ordered them already and they're on their way. Oh well, two sets is better than one. The memory card on the camera is blank. So no clues as to where it came from. Today's picture is one I took with the camera just to try it out. I'm seeing possibilities.

March 19.JPG

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

March 19
    Cold water
    WTG, XTG
    ATT S1
    Astra SP (fresh)
    SOC boar
    B&M Soap
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    B&M Reserve AS

Good evening one and all. Some nice shave reports coming in tonight!
    Hot shower, cold shave. Wonderful combination! I wasn't sure about cold water shaving but I'm really enjoying it. Two pass shave with touch up. A little more touching up than I usually do. BBS face DFS neck. Alum barely noticeable. A fine shave!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, MR41, Drygulch and 15 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Pain stick success. Love it! :happy096:

FaceScraper, Drygulch, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

try something different.jpg
    And just imagine the money you'll save using cool tap water! I still have a hot lather on cold days, but cool is refreshing. If it reduces irritation for you it's another small incremental improvement. Glad it works for you.

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Rick! Cold water shaving is something I started for this rule. I'll probably stick with it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

19. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

For those who promote Cold Water Shaving...

I’m reminded of this scene from The Dirty Dozen.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Classic movie!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, 9nein9, PLAla and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.