March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

On the scent descriptions page on the Stirling website they list all the menthol products on a scale of 1-10, with Glacial being a 10.

2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Wednesday March 21 - catching up (and no pic)

Gillette Fatboy on 4 / Gillette 7 O'clock (3)
    JR #267 boar brush
    The Dry Dock shave bowl
    B+M Latha Sandalwood soap
    Alum and Jeeves Cherry Blossom splash

I last shaved and checked the thread on Monday. Was 120 posts behind today... I finished off the Latha Sandalwood sample tub today. I dropped the Fatboy back down to 4 on the dial and the result was a great shave -- from 2 day stubble to smooth skin in two passes with absolutely no cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. I guess that's where the razor setting stays again...

I think tomorrow I will try another Trumper cream sample, this one a citrus called GFT.

Hope everybody has had a good week so far!

3. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Hello everyone sorry been gone so long broke my phone and haven’t been able to get on. So to update on my focus on the shavette. It is going great better every shave I am now using silver blue blades. I did slice my face 3 days ago not paying attention and it taught me to never do that again lol.

4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

SOTD 3.21.2018
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH boar
    Soap: Williams
    Razor: CJB pain stick
    Blade: Feather Professional (3)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Aqua Velva 5 in 1 Sensitive AS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

Back to a face shave with the CJB after a couple of days. As you may recall I succeeded in achieving a CFS on Monday without spilling any blood. I can't say that today. In fact, my confidence in using the pain stick plummeted after the first stroke with the CJB. As usual, I started with the right cheek near the temple. I stretched the skin. I focused on getting the right angle. As I was about to start the downward stroke I noticed some longer whiskers near the point where the ear meets the temple. I moved the razor ever so slightly to trim those whiskers and began the downward stroke. $&%*!!! I hit the top of the ear where it meets with the temple with the end of the razor... I adjusted too much. Cut myself pretty good and it took a long time to stop the bleeding. Nevertheless, I continued with the shave, keeping it to only one pass on the face and neck, and it resulted in a CFS. But my confidence in using the pain stick fell, and my pride is bruised. I'll wait a couple of days for another face shave and I'll see how I feel about it then.

Everything else worked perfectly! Even the razor worked perfectly. I can't say the same about the user, though.

Happy shaves everyone!
    sotd 3.21.2018.jpg

5. sdguero

Thanks, Andrew!

Careful what you say.... you talk about girls coming to visit, shy or not, my wife will kill me! :cool:

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Back to trying to finish the Tabac, I think it will finally give it up in the next 2 weeks.

Irritation A+ Closeness A- Smoothness A Sharpness A

Razor: Hart Steel
    Strop: Dry Gulch black latigo
    Brush: Omega boar
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Speick AS, L’ Occitane ASB
    Scent: Dior Cuir Cannage

IMG_2228.jpg

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I will plod my tired ass straight into Hell and crawl my way back out again in order to feed/clothe and educate her. Wedding? I’m putting on supper.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Glad to hear from you.

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

March 21
    Cold water
    WTG, XTG
    ATT S1
    Astra SP (2)
    SOC boar
    B&M Soap
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    B&M Reserve AS

Good evening all! Rough day at work. It was good to get home. Long hot shower, relaxing uneventful shave. BBS face, DFS neck. Mild sting from the alum on my neck. Crazy how I used to hate shaving and now I look forward to it. I'm really enjoying the B&M Reserve soaps and aftershaves. Tonight was spice, love the scent.
    Happy shaves all!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Dan. I hope the cut isn't too bad.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Jim! Tomorrow is a new day!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Jim!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  13. sdguero

That's Jim. It stings some. I wear eyeglasses so it's right where they rest on my ear.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness!!!

March 21

Razor - 1959 (E1) Gillette Super Speed
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Stirling Two Band Synthetic
    Post - Alum

My weekend has arrived! My plans? Pack, haul stuff to storage, pack, haul stuff to storage, you know....all that fun stuff you live for on the weekend. I bet you all wish you were me right now. Admit it.

The shave tonight was the best of the three with the Rapira Swede. The Proraso was just the right consistency, meaning I'm getting it dialed back in after not using it for a very long time. The Swede is still nice and sharp and the synthetic brush laid down a perfect lather. The baby showed up in two passes and some neck touch up and my wife is enjoying the scent of Proraso again. She always did like that eucamenthol thing it has going for it.

Tomorrow will be a switch to a different blade for 3 days and just enjoying the simplicity of these shaves. Have a great night and a better tomorrow!

March 21.JPG

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

MARCHing along, still without a Focus...

TOBS Eton College SC sample
    SP2 VS Black badger brush
    Suribachi bowl & cool water
    Gillette New Long Comb
    Personna Super Lab blade
    Tom's Bound & Shagged lotion
    SOTD 03212018 Eton College Tom's B&S.gif
    Shuffled through my storage cabinet and spotted several samples of shave cream. Sniffing brought me to the citrus, floral, & patchouli of Taylor's. Didn't have enough for two lathers so I stirred up one luxurious batch. Soft soap deserves a badgering and the asymmetric cypress needed attention. Seen a couple of these old toothy DEs making the rounds so I gave mine duty for this shave. The blade may have been in since October, but it delivered. No rhyme, but plenty of reasons for it all to come together. It did in three full passes, and with all that lather a bunch of buffing. Not a BBS, but well into DFS. Couldn't quite get under my chin. Didn't feel like spilling blood just to summon babies.
    Rinsed, and finished with a couple spritzes of a blend including Everclear, WH, vitamin E, and scent oil.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

one of my favorite movies.
    [​IMG]

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ok 175 post behind....nope. If I do not log in every day there will be gaps in my reading.
    If anyone is interested there is a early model E2 pif across the street.
    If you said something I missed send the cliff notes please.

FaceScraper, NCoxSTL, RyX and 9 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Sounds like you’ve got that Fatboy dialed in well, John. I enjoyed the Trumper cream I used this week and will be interested to see what you think of the GFT.
    Sorry about the cut, Dan. Sounds like you’re doing well with the pain stick on face and neck, though.
    Finishing off Tabac...that is a focus, Keith.
    Beautiful scales on that razor!
    Agree with you on the Reserve Spice scent and performance. A very nice AS.
    I don’t envy you the packing, Neal. Sounds like a nice shave, though.
    Awesome gear, pic and write up, Rick!

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shaves, photos and write-ups Gentlemen.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks Clint!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

RyX, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.