March 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic-Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 27, 2015.

1. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

March 2015 ... 30 day rule ... technique, technique, (a couple of changes), and more technique

pre: dr.bronner's, PSO(diy)
    brush: EJ best badger medium
    lather: proraso green soap
    razor: EJ89lbl
    blade: derby extra

03/25/15 ... blade5(2) ... another pretty nice shave overall ... i completed a 2-pass with the second going in the opposite direction (W-E instead of E-W) than usual. i produced a couple of small nicks (chin and upper lip) - mostly due to opposite direction - that were relieved and stopped with the cold water rinse.

i did notice today that an hour-ish after the shave, when rubbing my hand over my face and neck, my skin didn't seem as smooth as normal - not smooth as in lack-of-stubble smooth but more like dry smooth. i'm not sure if it's residual from the PSO or maybe something in the WH that leaves a bit of a protective barrier. it's not a bad feeling just a different one. although, i can imagine it being a little annoying if i had to button my top button and/or wear a tie ...

2. gmaugie007

March 2015 ... 30 day rule ... technique, technique, (a couple of changes), and more technique

pre: PSO(diy)

03/26/15 ... blade5(3) ... wow, those first few minutes after a nice shave - ON TOP OF THE WORLD!

i was up a little late this morning, had to jump on some conf calls right away, and barely had time for a quick shower. therefore, there was no morning post-shower shave. but ... i made sure to find time early afternoon to 'practice my technique and perfect my performance'. so, i didn't have a shower and major hydration with this one ... just some warm water rinses and about a minute of hot towel ... followed by PSO.

not knowing how the different hydration might affect the shave, i completed a 2-pass ... both passes N-S. hmm, i might have to try this again!! i didn't have the first nick, weeper, or other blood-letting complication. while i did use the alum block after a cold rinse, i almost wondered if it had been deactivated ... !?! ... no feedback whatsoever from irritation or razor burn. i left the bathroom with a hot coffee in hand and VERY ready to tackle whatever the crazy IT world might throw at my afternoon.

"i never see failure as failure ... only as an opportunity to practice my technique and perfect my performance." - tom hopkins

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

March Injector Focus

image.jpg

Another great one!

Getting ready for Arko April!​

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Focus - Vintage and Carbon - COMPLETE
    March 26, 2015 - Week 4 Day 5
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - VDH Boar
    Soap - Arko
    Razor - Edwin Jagger 89l
    Blade - [​IMG](2)
    Post - Alum & Clubman

Another great shave today. I'm impressed with the Super-Max Platinum. Cheaper than the Super Platinum and seems to perform just as well for me. Very little irritation, great DFS in three quick passes. Perfect for my first long day of the week. I'll probably change out to a different blade tomorrow just to keep trying a few new ones before April starts.

I received my first Saint Charles Shave soap today in the mail. Kind of ironic that I mail order it from 20 miles away. LOL I got the Sandalwood in a wooden bowl and they sent a sample of Bay Rum soap. Both have great scents. The Bay Rum is strong! I'll be trying the Sandalwood tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

March 26 (late post)

Had another near-BBS 3 pass shave with the Merkur 37C, Omega boar brush, and Stirling unscented soap. I'm really glad I spent this past month learning how to get the most out of a boar brush and the Stirling soap. I could stick with this set-up indefinitely, but I'm going to experiment with Arko in April, mainly to satisfy my curiosity.

Have a blessed day, Gents!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

03/27/15
    Prep – MR GLO
    Razor – GEM Feather Weight
    Blade – CVS GEM
    Brush – Rudy Vey with Shavemac Finest
    Lather – MdC
    Post - Witch Hazel, Dove AS Balm and CC Sandalwood AS

[​IMG]

Pretty good DFS 3 pass shave this morning. Still trying to figure out the razor in my normal problem spots. Looking forward to getting the PETE coated blades in early next week. Happy Friday.

7. drjenkins

drjenkins Well-Known Member

March 26, 2015: Last nights shave

Pre- Face wash with warm water, Pacific PSO
    Brush Soak- Sriracha Mug of Doom™
    Razor- Ikon 102 Slant
    Blade- Personna (3)
    Soap- Dr. Jon's "Classic"
    Brush- Omega boar
    Post- Cold water rinse, Osma Alum, Thayers Witch Hazel
    Aftershave- The Cool Fix balm

Two and a half passes :WTG , XTG, cleanup w/ a little ATG

Got to use my new Omega 10066 that I got in the PIF from @RaZorBurn123! Defunked after three days of off and on soaking
    and drying. Caught a tiny whiff of wet dog last night. Just wasn't sure if it was the brush, or my actual wet dogs that I had to
    rush to bring in as the bottom fell out. Much better brush than my VDH that's been in rotation.

Still loving the Dr Jon's soaps. The ones I have are my favorite scents, hands down, of all that I've tried so far. The performance
    isn't as good for me as Mickey Lee, but it's still in my go-to pile. And to be fair, the ML stuff has just been so awesome for me,
    it's hard to contend with. I'm nowhere above saying that it can still be a learning curve with the DJ soaps. They tend to be
    more thirsty soaps, and the ML just lathers if you look at it hard.

I'm judging everything now on whether I'd buy more when I use up what I currently have and Dr Jon's and Mickey Lee are
    both definitely in the re-buy category.

The Pacific PSO just doesn't work well for me for some reason, so it'll be PIF'd for sure. My Mickey Lee order should be here
    today, and I've got some of their Pre Shave Butter in there to try out. Anxious to check out the other soap scents too!

[​IMG]

Troy M, Spud, GDCarrington and 5 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Arko you say?

wristwatchb likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice! The 10066 is a favorite of mine. :)

10. drjenkins

drjenkins Well-Known Member

:happy088:

Now I can't wait to try out the Russian blades when this 30 Day Focus is over...

Drygulch and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Kerry- very nice. :happy088: Super cool of you.

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

13. Bama Samurai

March Injector Focus

image.jpg

Automatic 2pass smoothness! Even with Blue mystery soap!

Happy Friday!
    :)

Troy M, clint64, GDCarrington and 2 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

March 27

Stirling Sheep bath/face soap
    Merkur 37C slant bar razor
    Feather blade (day 2)
    Kent BK8 silvertip badger brush
    MdC scented shaving soap
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, & unrefined shea butter

I had a great shave before heading off to work this morning. I plan to enjoy MdC for a few days before embarking on Arko April. Happy Friday!

SOTD_032715.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Troy M, Spud, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

That's right! I estimate my out-of-pocket cost for shave soap in April to be 39 cents. :D

clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Big Spender! :D

clint64 and wristwatchb like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Focus - Vintage and Carbon - COMPLETE
    March 27, 2015 - Week 4 Day 6
    Prep - Hot shower and towel
    Brush - Omega Pro 48
    Soap - Saint Charles Shave Sandalwood
    Razor - Edwin Jagger 89l
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg (1)
    Post - Alum & Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Decided to load up a Sharp Star Platinum today. The wrapper looks like something third graders might create but the blade was surprisingly sharp, smooth and really produced a great shave. This blade is from Mostochlegmash in Moscow, the company that produces the entire Rapira line including Voskhod. So, another Russian blade that I am happy to recommend. Although, finding them seems impossible. I got a couple of them from www.tryablade.com and have not been able to locate any other source for these blades. I'm extremely curious about them and won't stop digging until I get some answers.

On the soap side of the equation, I tried Saint Charles Shave soap for the first time today, the Sandalwood in the wooden bowl. The scent is subtle but very nice. The lather, well, I'm not going to judge until I play with it a bit more. It was slick but dissipated very quickly. As in Williams quickly. I face lathered the first pass and had to add more after half of the pass. I took the time to bowl lather for the second pass and it made only a slight difference. I will be playing with the water etc. for a couple of days to see if I can dial it in. I really want this soap to work as it is made locally and has a good reputation. Would love to help a local out!

There is a much knowledge about Sharp Star blades in this picture of the Russian plains as I have been able to find. Maybe they drop off of the exploding meteors that frequent the country?
    Russian plains.jpg in-soviet-russia-space-explore-you.jpg

Troy M, wristwatchb and clint64 like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

03/28/2015
    Prep – MR GLO
    Razor – Mongoose B2 with Jürgen Hempel Ti
    Blade –Feather Pro (3)
    Brush –Rudy Vey with TGN Finest
    Lather – MdC
    Post - Witch Hazel and Dove AS Balm

[​IMG]

Fantastic 3 pass shave this morning. Up for tomorrow's shave is a GEM 1924 on loan from JR. At the start of the month, this brush would have been one of my least favorite. Now after using it so much this month, I have come to really like it and look forward to using it in the rotation. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Troy M, Spud and wristwatchb like this.
  19. gmaugie007

March 2015 ... 30 day rule ... technique, technique, technique

pre: dr.bronner's, PSO(diy)

03/28/15 ... blade6(1)

another ... ON TOP OF THE WORLD ... shave today ... probably THE best shave of my whole two months of DE wet shaving!

two days growth, 2-pass ... the only slight change was the addition of avocado oil to the PSO. while i can't imagine that making much difference, this morning's shave was FANTASTIC! it's not necessarily the closest; there are still a couple of patches that i can feel some stubble ATG. however, i had absolutely no nicks, irritation, or feedback of any kind ... from the rinse, alum, or WH.

the first pass was nice and smooth ... all N-S. during the second pass, i wondered at times if i was at the right angle as i couldn't feel or hear anything. i even checked twice to make sure the blade didn't dissolve or something ... and once i checked the blade to make sure it was a derby.

absolutely no changes for tomorrow morning ... let's see if we can duplicate

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Troy M, clint64 and wristwatchb like this.
  20. wristwatchb

March 28

Stirling Sheep bath/face soap
    Merkur 37C slant bar razor
    Feather blade (day 1)
    Kent BK8 silvertip badger brush
    Arko shaving soap
    Three passes
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, & Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I had a super shave today. Whiskers versus Arko -- Arko wins! My shave stick of lemony goodness has been uncapped for a week. Either the scent has mellowed, or my olfactory nerve took the weekend off. It was the first time I've used my Kent brush with the Arko, and I enjoyed mountains of Turkish lather.

The weather is beautiful and sunny, and I had a nice Saturday with my family. Enjoy your weekend!

SOTD_032815.jpg

Troy M and clint64 like this.