Mass market bar soaps that are actually soap?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by PLAla, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Yes, it is as actual soap. From the FAQ on the website:
    upload_2017-11-14_11-20-18.png

From wikipedia:
    Antibacterial soap is a soap which contains chemical ingredients that purportedly assist in killing bacteria

So Coast doesn't contain any chemicals to assist in the killing of bacteria. However we know from chemistry and biology that prolonged exposure to an alkaline environment (soap) will break down most cellular walls and kill most microorganisms. This is why it is recommended that you wash your hands for 30 seconds before rinsing.

Keithmax and PLAla like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Well, yanno, but yeah.

PLAla likes this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Here are the ingredients for Dove's white beauty bar:
    Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate Or Sodium Palmitate, Lauric Acid, Sodium Isethionate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoate Or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Edta, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891).

I think by calling itself a beauty bar then it's not purporting to be soap? Is that correct?

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Linuxguile

It looks like it has some soap in it, but its main ingredient is a detergent. I'm guessing its a beauty bar because its more detergent then soap.

5. PLAla

Pardon my ignorance about all of this! Would a beauty bar clean less effectively than a bar soap?

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm a Coast guy....I guess it's unisex, due to the TV ads where we see both men and women using it, but it does smell good, and it does say Deodorant soap(the latter of which we don't see much of these days).

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Possibly, depending on what's in it in that (for ex.) added moisturizers might leave an oily or heavy feeling. Possibly not since they tend to be loaded with artificial surfactants (detergents). The "beauty bar" category is pretty broad, and at least in my mind, should be interpreted as "a cleansing bar that's can't legally be called soap." "Legally soap" = composed primarily of saponified fats (or oils) with possibly other additives for fragrance or other purposes, so long as those additives are not artificial detergents/surfactants.

Keithmax, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Palmolive of course.

But looks like it contains more than it really should:

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Oleate, Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Pentasodium Pentetate, PPentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Sine Adipe Lac, Olea Europaea Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, CI 77891, CI 47005, CI 61570

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Keithmax, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Linuxguile

I'm not sure we can get Palmolive bar soap in the US anymore. Only the dish soap

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know either ... I'm not in the US ...

Here it is commonly available.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

PLAla likes this.
  11. PLAla

I think you're right. The shaving soap and stick and cream are also not available here (at least from what I can find).

Linuxguile likes this.