Massdrop; Oristo Razor

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Queen of Blades, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I used mine today for the first time and got a nice shave. I used a new Astra SP, a blade that hasn't given me my best results, but not the worst either. In the Oristo it was better than it has been in my other razors. I had only used them a couple of times before, maybe I had a couple of bad ones or maybe it is the Oristo. The razor is milder than my ATT R2 and Timeless .95 SB. Those are my two favorite razors. The Oristo is not any milder to my face than any of the other razors I have used and sold: Gillette Old and New Types, and Merkur 34 C. It is of course, much milder than the R41, another razor that I used and liked, but eventually sold. I would say I can get as good a shave from the Oristo as I get from the ATT and Timeless, but it takes a little more work: two passes, with an extra pass for my tougher areas, which are the neck just under the jaw, and the goatee area. Plus a little touch up for some of those areas, mainly the neck, in between the second and third passes. The ATT and Timeless are two passes and some touch up (a little less than the Oristo). I could have gotten away without the third pass today, but I had the lather. So I think the Oristo is almost as good as the ATT and Timeless after the two passes, but with a little more touch up.

Some other qualities would be finish, styling, feel, packaging: The finish is nice. I have the polished finish. It isn't as shiny and clear as the Timeless, but for $95 as opposed to $175 it is good. The ATT's brushed finish is too different to compare to the others. I don't think S&F should be charging $150. The styling is subjective, but I like it. It has soft curves to it on the head and handle. I think the handle matches the head well. At first it looked small to me, but it is about as long as my ATT with the Kronos handle, but noticeably smaller than the Timeless. It is also the lightest of the three. A little lighter than the ATT with the smaller Atlas handle. The Timeless is noticeably heavier than the others. The Oristo feels milder than the others, but not as much as I expected. There was some blade feel, but not as much as I am used to. Again, the results were excellent. Packaging is the least important, but the paper insert did not hold up well in shipping. It had ripped where the head sits and the razor was under the insert. The other razors mentioned had stronger boxes with foam inserts. In summation, quality is very good, maybe a step below ATT and Timeless, maybe only a half step, the shave is excellent in both feel and result, and the finish is good, maybe a little above average (on par with Ikon maybe). Photo below: Timeless left, ATT Kronos center, Oristo right. There is dried soap film on the Oristo from the shave, so trust that the finish is better than it looks.
    DSCN1255[1].JPG

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Today I splashed on some Executive Man with menthol after using the Oristo and there was no burn and no cooling effect from the menthol. It was like I was using water as an aftershave. This is a very gentle razor, yet I can get a great shave. I have found that I can get BBS with a variety of razors and the Oristo is no exception. Most of my razors are more aggressive, but I do like this Oristo, even though it is different from my normal preference. I don't have sensitive skin, but anyone that does should probably try to get one of these. There may also be a new Mamba coming out for about $50 (it's on the IB website, but not yet available). If it is anything like the old Black Mamba or the Oristo it should also be a mild but effective shaver, at less than half the price of the other two.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
  4. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I already swore off anymore purchases for the rest of the year. Probably NB 2018 , if I can.