Mature, masculine, older scents?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by JesusIsLord, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

There has been no "Reformulated Clubman" or "Reformulated Mennen Skin-Bracer" or "Reformulated Aqua-Velva" to my knowledge. I mean, perhaps there have been ATTEMPTS, but the originals still sell well.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Yup Sterling Barbershop is my favorite Barber Shop scent.

Paul Turner likes this.
  3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Barbasol has a classic scent that has been around for a long time (since 1919). Also you can still get the "Original" Old Spice aftershave. Its made in India and it does smell like the original. What you see today on the shelf in this country is the "Classic" and it is not anything like the original. I recently got a bottle of Original Old Spice from West Coast Shaving.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

"Old man smell" refers to the unpleasat smell associated with some old men. It is, to the best of my understanding, it is something that smells like talcum powder and cheap drugstore fragrances. Some inexpensive aftershaves and colognes smell nice, but others not so much. Scent preferences are often highly subjective. If your significant other says "You smell nice" or "Phew, you smell like a skunk. Take a bath!", that will tell you whether you are on the right track or not.

How old is "old"? In times past, 60 was considered ancient, and people died in their 50s from what was considered old age. Now I would say old would be more like 70+. It is not an exact number, but a general category, just like young and middle-aged.

RetLEO-07 and RyX like this.
  5. Paul Turner

If someone criticizes me for having an "old-man smell", I just tell em my age and say "My young-man days are over".

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think most of the time, at least in the case of women, when she says a classic has an "old man smell", she is not trying to tell you that you smell bad, rather that you remind her too much of her dad, or her Uncle Einar, and that it doesn't exactly put her "in the mood". Scents are powerful things, and can trigger all sorts of responses in people.

RyX, MarshalArtist and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Paul Turner

I'd say that if the woman loves her dad, she might love the man wearing the scent that reminds her of her Dad.

RyX and Erik Redd like this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

That probably applies to Electra Shave.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Loving, and wanting to sleep with are two different things.

RyX likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

too-shay

11. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Aftershaves; Old Spice, British Sterling or Fine's line of products are all great. As far as colognes, Calvin Klein's Obsession and Eternity for men are nice...................

12. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

St James of London - Black pepper and Limes
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Ogallala Bay Rum

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

13. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

My favorite "mature" scents:
    -Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    -Pinaud Clubman (also SR, Classic Vanilla, Musk)
    -Florida Water
    -British Sterling

If you want truly classic scents, you should definitely try 4711 and Florida Water. They are about as old-school as you can get.

RyX likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have dozens of aftershaves, but 90% of the time I reach for Floid Blue in the Spring/Summer and Myrsol F/Extra in the Fall/Winter. Both, in my mind, old school masculine scents.

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hoyt's.

Florida Water (glass bottle if you can find it, has more clove?)

Dunno about "old man" but I have not seen anyone post Speick, so I will.

Paul Sebastian is good too, sort of Old Spice, maybe, but I don't like Old Spice, I do however like Paul Sebastian.

Skin Bracer Blue, if you can find it

Pretty much any Avon, as has been stated.

Tabac

16. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal, Clubman and Canoe are quite nice. And as mentioned "basenotes" is a great resource directory for reviews & scent descriptions etc.

RyX likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Yes, I do go by basenotes frequently.

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

wristwatchb and David W650 like this.
  19. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing that myself ya young whippersnappers!