May 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What is your favorite memory of @Bama Samurai?

Poll closed May 30, 2016.
  1. When he started the 30 Day Thread

15.4%
  2. When he bought his Plisson Synthetic Brush and burned all of the others in disgust

7.7%
  3. When he purchased stock in La Toja and used his pictures here to drive the price higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. When he invented the phrase "all is quiet in Colorado"

23.1%
  5. When he started bringing cookies to the thread each month.

11.5%
  6. Who cares......as long as somebody remembers the freaking cookies!!!

42.3%
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Greetings Denizens..

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the May 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus thread. This is a momentous day for this thread because, for the very first time in its history, it is no longer under the care and control if its creator, the highly esteemed and newly crowned Moderator here at TSD, the honorable @Bama Samurai. Nay, it has found itself, at the most revered request of the most high @Bama Samurai under the daily care and control of a somewhat less esteemed and worthy author.......me. A day of mourning may be required. Chris will still be active and around, but with his new responsibilities from on high he felt it best to hand off the day to day duties.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. May you never give in to the pain and suffering of the less recommended route, unless, of course you are really ready for some MAYhem!!!!

Having said all of that, I want to thank @Bama Samurai for this thread, for his leadership and for his trust in me and the boys to keep it going. And, of course, for being a really cool guy to hang with.

Now, on to the facts in his own words.......

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out...especially one as much fun as MAYhem.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Member always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Respect everyone
    3. Follow the rules of the forum
    4. All razor types and styles welcome
    5. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening.

(Ok, so maybe not number 5)

It's time for MAYhem people!!! Who's bold and who's cautious?? Who is going to mix things up totally and completely and who is going to remain sane and watch the rest with a big bag of popcorn? Group hug everyone......and away we go!!!
    30 day crew portrait.jpg

PLANofMAN, BigMike, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I think I just shed a tear.... Thanks Neil.

Now, as promised, nothing changes. Let the games begin!

PLANofMAN, BigMike, Drygulch and 9 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Don't tell anybody else about that La Toja thing....

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Don't worry. Yuri can "take care" of any loose lips.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I'm looking forward to my first MAYhem! I will be using my R41, mostly my Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol soap and my Razorock Plissoft brush. Other constants will be Thayers, my own PSO blend and a lather bowl. My prep and lather routine will be the same day to day to make the results the most consistent.

I'm working on "riding the cap" for the month but, thanks to @Bama Samurai's and @Mr. Freeze93's generous blade donations, I'll be changing up blades every other shave at the most. If the blade works, it gets 2 shaves, if it doesn't, I'll finish the shave and switch to another brand the next day and revisit the "bad" blade later in the month. All blades will get two shots to prove their worth and topple the mighty GSB.

To paraphrase Mr. Tolkien; "One Blade to rule them all, One Blade to find them, One Blade to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them" or something...

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That blade's name is Voskhod.....oh wait, too soon? Great looking month ahead for you. Great idea to revisit the blades later when technique has improved. And, I'm eagerly awaiting your results!

7. ob1page

It's in the mix for sure. I've had a couple tucks sitting in the cabinet just waiting to be used for something as momentous as this

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll be posting my full month plan in a bit. It's gonna be long so I apologize in advance. However, the first thing I need to advance is our first "Chosen Chooser" on my list to choose some numbers.

@ob1page , come on down. I need you to choose four numbers. There are 15 blades involved, so you'll choose from 1 through 15. Also 15 razors so the second number again between 1 and 15. Six soaps on the list, so choose a number between 1 and 6. And finally, seven soaps, so a number between 1 and 7.

Everyone else on my list...I'll call for your numbers a couple of days ahead of each shave you are choosing. The numbers @ob1page chooses will be for Monday's shave, actually, May 2, as I have May 1 scheduled for a special holiday affair. Any questions? Let me know. For now, @ob1page when you're ready sir.

9. Bama Samurai

Each month, since January 2015, I have taken inspiration from another member of the group, and this month it I'll be @ob1page. My focus, posted here daily like usual, will be running in a parallel vein:

May "Ride the Cap" Mystery Blade Focus

5 razors, one single GSB, one tuck of (TBA May 30, mystery blade), Route 66 Lumberjack, Plisson, and a rotation of the classic USA drugstore aftershaves.

Shave one will be a benchmark on GSB with the FB on 9. Then I will change to the mystery blade for a five day test in each razor. I will have a couple extra days (may be traveling) at the end, and I will do Sunday afternoons with @Douglas Carey and his "Shave Den Sunday" Thread with stuff from the TSD Exclusive Collection.

The technique I am focusing upon is "Riding the cap," and I will be using a mix of TTO and three piece razors, in pursuit of angular perfection!

As always, I look forward to a great month!

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's MAYhem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I recall, last year's MAYhem, the first of its kind, involved me using a lot of horrid blades and razors to try and see what was the worst possible combo out there. Trust me, there were a lot. You may want to refer back to that thread for your entertainment and enlightenment. Now, while MAYhem does carry the idea of uncontrolled results and danger, it also has to involve absolutely out of control and random chaos. I have designed my month for just that. It's a bit complicated, but I think in the end it's a great way to totally randomize my gear and allow for possibilities from the most magnificent shave possible to the most horrid, bloody, deadly and ridiculous mess we can find. Here's how it goes. (You'll want popcorn for this, and maybe a stiff drink. Or two.)

I will use the following razors this month.
    1. The Soyuz 1
    2. 1918 Old Style
    3. Rapira
    4. Edwin Jagger DE89l
    5. Van der Hagen (Weishi)
    6. 1947 Super Speed
    7. Soviet Mladost II
    8. 1959 Super Speed
    9. Long Feng
    10. 1959 Ball End Tech
    11. RazoRock TTO
    12. 1949 Super Speed
    13. Rimei
    14. Aristocrat
    15. New LC

And, the following blades.
    1. Voskhod
    2. Dorco 300
    3. Ladas
    4. Laser Ultra
    5. Bic CP
    6. Shark
    7. Dorco Prime
    8. Kai
    9. Baili Green
    10.Big Ben Blue
    11. Treet New Steel
    12. Baili Blue
    13. 7am High Platinum
    14. Gillette Rubie
    15. WILDCARD SHAVE

And, the following soaps.
    1. Proraso Green Tub
    2. Tabac
    3. Mitchell's Wool Fat
    4. Arko
    5. Williams (mosquito repellent version)
    6. Marvy

And, the following brushes.
    1. Omega 10060 (BoS)
    2. Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    3. Vie Long 12601
    4. Vie Long 12705
    5. Tweezerman Super Shedder
    6. VdH Boar
    7. Marvy

Every day a lucky "chosen chooser" from my list will get to pick numbers from each list, without knowing what number goes with what product. In fact, I will randomize the list everyday at random.org so that even I have no idea what will be picked. Total random chaos in selection. So, I may have a shave with the Mladost II, a Baili Blue using Marvy soap and Vdh Brush. Wouldn't THAT be a treat. (I shudder). I could also have a magnificently good setup. I won't know until it's randomized and matched to the numbers.

Notice the "WILDCARD" blade? If that blade is chosen then the soap and brush will be selected at random, but I will then also have to randomize four "wildcard shaves". They are as follows.....

1. The Rabbit straight razor
    2. The Gold Dollar 800 (as yet untried)
    3. Feather SS w/ Kamisori blade (sucks)
    4. The Gem 1912 SE with whatever blade I may have on hand for it.
    5. The 1918 Old Style Gillette with a TIGER blade.

Yeah, now you're seeing the fun, right?

Those who have volunteered as Chosen Choosers...watch for my call for your numbers. If you haven't already volunteered and want to, then let me know! Right now the volunteers will be choosing two days each, and I'll choose by random the final ones on the list to pick the last days of the month.

It's MAYhem!!!!!!! And if you didn't think it could get worse than last year.....you're glad you waited, aren't you!!!!

11. Bama Samurai

I look forward to the most glorious spectacle with all our comrades on May Day!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  12. ob1page

I choose 11, 7, 4 and 1

BigMike, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  13. ob1page

I am looking forward to this. Thank you for the honor

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Your selections have been entered. And by the way, it's 7 brushes, not soaps. I think you had that figured out though. Can't type tonight.

Drygulch, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  15. ob1page

I assumed one or the other, I picked before I saw the lists but I am happy with the results. Good luck!!!

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks! I may need it this month. The beauty is that you pick the numbers but I randomize the list before applying the numbers. So, you may be picking the Baili Green, but the randomization turns it into a Voskhod. Or vice versa. In fact, I just ran your numbers against the randomization and have my first shave built for the 2nd. I'm not giving it away just yet though. :innocent

17. ob1page

Ahhhh, that is a smart way to do it. If it always randomizes as an Voskhod I will cry foul though :rofl:

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Hey, stop peeking. I"ll send Ivan over if I have to. While I won't give anything away yet, Voskhod was not the chosen blade for the 2nd. So there.....fair and square. :eatdrink047:

19. ob1page

As long as he brings the vodka all will be good.

20. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

My plans for MAYhem...

I will be using to razor for MAYhem and alternate them each day.

Razors : Gillette Old Type (AKA Dracula) and the blade for May will be Bali Greens (The blades that Chuck Norris checks under his bed for before he goes to bed :scared007:) and a CJB Pain Stick (@NCoxSTL was kind enough to send me 3 blades and he arranged them in the order to use from less likely to slice an artery to most likely and because it is MAYhem I will start with the most likely one to kill me first) with Kai Captian Mild, Dorco, and Feather blades.

Brush: I don't have any bad brushes although I will more then likely use one with what soap or cream I normally wouldn't pair it with (Example: Williams with a big floppy badger)

Soaps/Creams: Again nothing in this department gives me a hard time as I know how to get each thing to lather how I want it but to keep things interesting I am going to instate a rule... Hard soaps I only get 15 seconds to load or no more then 5-10 swirls on the puck (will change this around some as well as I use different soaps/creams each day.... Williams should be interesting when it comes up as I can get a great stable lather from it but it involves a lot of prep and 2 minutes of loading the thing like I despise it...when Williams comes up with these rules I will pretty much be shaving with water as the lather pulls a Houdini and disappears).

Aftershaves- I will stick to my normal Alum and Witch Hazel follow up but I am also sticking to only Alcohol Based Aftershave so I can light my face on fire after each shave.

So far this is what my tired brain has come up with.. I am sure I will find more ways to hurt myself keep things interesting before May 1st begins.

:sick013::sick013::sick013::sick013::sick013::sick002::sick002::sick002::sick002::sick002: