May 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What is your favorite memory of @Bama Samurai?

Poll closed May 30, 2016.
  1. When he started the 30 Day Thread

15.4%
  2. When he bought his Plisson Synthetic Brush and burned all of the others in disgust

7.7%
  3. When he purchased stock in La Toja and used his pictures here to drive the price higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. When he invented the phrase "all is quiet in Colorado"

23.1%
  5. When he started bringing cookies to the thread each month.

11.5%
  6. Who cares......as long as somebody remembers the freaking cookies!!!

42.3%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's the rednecks who are not holding drinks that pose the most danger.

Ponder that...

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

So sorry to hear that!

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

True that. But mostly because they've already consumed mass quantities.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Cookie!

5. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

My fault... SWMBO kept saying while I was messing around with it... "Blades are sharp, babe.... Your going to cut yourself!!!" and I kept telling her I wouldn't...just as I was saying that I tapped the blade and slide my index finger over it and got the "I told you so" look right away..

Drygulch, Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nice looking razor. Any clue as to why you had the difficulty honing it?

Drygulch, Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Cartel approval granted. Shave on comrade!

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh, grasshopper, you must learn the first lesson of Zen painsticks. Never, ever load the razor or otherwise handle the blades in the view of SWMBO. It never ends well.

Drygulch, Bill_F, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  9. Mr. Freeze93

20160430_185937-01.jpeg

MAYhem 1st, 2016

1:15 A.M.

Nearly 2 am and here I sit holding the styptic pen to my face and every few seconds going over my face with a wet face cloth to wipe away the blood, hopes, and dreams I had before todays shave and wondering what I have ever done to deserve this. I now know why they are called pain sticks...

I got home a little after midnight and was feeling quite stubbly so I decided to kick off MAYhem bright and early as I don't have to be into work to tomorrow afternoon. I hopped in the shower after setting up my soap and brush to soak in some cold water. After washing away the grit and grime from work and doing my best impression of Billy Joel's "Piano Man" I hopped out of the shower and started loading my RR 24mm Finest Badger with RR SMDF Shaving Soap. 15 seconds of loading and I had a fairly decent load. I wet my face again and work up an acceptable lather on the beautiful mug of mine. I say my prayers and grab the pain stick loading with a fresh Feather Pro and start on my right cheek. As soon as it touches my skin I realized I have made a horrible mistake. I put it up against my face at what I now know is the wrong angle and boom....my first cut.... Adjust the angle and finally found the at the moment sweet spot and start my first pass. Work my way down my right cheek and besides the initial gash all is going perfect. I rinse the Pain Stick off and go to work on the upper jawline. I manage to screw up on the angle again and nearly fillet my jaw. I finish up my first pass and along the way earn myself two more gashes/nicks. I relather for my XTG pass and have to rinse it off and pull out the styptic as the lather was mainly red. Finally stop the bleeding enough and lather. XTG pass goes somewhat smoothly with no nicks or cuts but it doesn't really reduce any stubble. At this point I am bleeding pretty good and should just call it quits for the night.

So I smartly lather up for my ATG pass and this is were things get downright ugly. In this pass I manage to absolutely butcher my neck, lower lip/chin area, and slice my moustache area and manage to gash my nose. I fight tooth and nail through the blood and pain because if I am going to lose the fight against this CJB I am at least walking away BBS even if it kills me. I manage to get the Baby and quickly chuck this tool of torture down and begin washing my face with cold water while franticly grabbing the Alum and Styptic pen. 2 minutes of cold water couldn't get the blood to stop so I grab the alum with one hand and the styptic with the other and begin trying to close cuts all over whilst also trying to keep my girlie screams low. It slows down but doesn't fully come to a stop. I splash on some witch hazel, follow that with another cold water rinse and throw on some Brut AS and almost woke up my entire street with the yelp I let out.

It is now 2 A.M. and the last gash has stopped bleeding... My face is irritated, somewhat puffy, sore to the touch, and I look like Freddy Kruger went to give me a high five and missed my hand and nailed me in the face. A shave this bad means I normally need to take a few days off to let my face heal before I punish it again but I am going to give it another go tomorrow.

Pre shave: Hot shower and Prayers

Shave-

Razor-CJB Pain Stick
    Blade- Feather Pro
    Brush-Razorock Finest Badger 24mm 2 Band
    Soap-Razorock SMDF

Post Shave-

Cold Water Rinse 1000x
    Alum
    Styptic
    Witch Hazel
    Brut Aftershave
    Curse words that would make a trucker blush followed by uncontrollable weeping....

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Perhaps a steely eyed idiot?

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Put the blade between your lips and push it in with your tongue.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

When I tried to home the edge kept chipping, when I would check the loupe I could see lots of small chips. Glen had the same issue until he added to layers of tape. I assume it's the geometry of the blade and adding the tape made the angle just right.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I was just thinking I'd head to bed but decided to check in one more time. And boy am I glad I did. Now, don't take that wrong. I'm not enjoying your suffering. Much. Wow. That is one rough first run with a pain stick. I think you are the official winner of the worst first pain stick shave! So congrats on that!

As you found out, unfortunately the hard way, angle is everything with these things. One tip I'll pass on is it is sometimes easier to set down too flat and adjust the angle on the pass, at least for me. That way you aren't really in position to cut yourself at first, and once it starts working you know when to stop adding angle. Enough times of that and eventually the muscle memory works for the set down. Most of the time anyway.

The blades on the AC razors are no joke, and you did start of MAYhem in a most appropriate MAYhem way....with the sharpest and baddest blade you had. Kudos for that. That wins another award that is yet to be named. Good work making it through the entire shave. I salute you. I wouldn't have worried about the baby so, in some small way, you've out crazied the crazy dude on the board! Another award. I see a potential Lifetime Achievement award in your future!

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

:signs011::happy097::happy102:

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Gotcha. That makes sense.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That one goes in the book for future reference.

17. Keithmax

Shavettes are most unforgiving razors I've ever used. I'll give similar advise I give with straights' when it doesn't feel right put it down and pick up a DE. If you are tired put the straight razor down and pick up a DE. The angle doesn't feel right put down the straight razor, bad cut, put it down, does not feel comfortable put down the straight razor..... And finish with a DE.

I had a scar for a month after my first shave with a shavette. You will master it.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A wise man speaks. I always have a DE loaded and ready when using a straight type, either traditional or stick. I will say that once you have mastered the CJB, or any other pain stick, you will find an amazing sense of accomplishment. For me it is still the best thing I ever did, as far as confidence building and just feeling good about sticking a razor out goes.

19. Mr. Freeze93

tisbutascratch.png

Me after todays shave ^^

20. Keithmax

But just think of the respect you will get at the gym if you shave there with a straight.