May 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix and Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What is your favorite memory of @Bama Samurai?

Poll closed May 30, 2016.
  1. When he started the 30 Day Thread

15.4%
  2. When he bought his Plisson Synthetic Brush and burned all of the others in disgust

7.7%
  3. When he purchased stock in La Toja and used his pictures here to drive the price higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. When he invented the phrase "all is quiet in Colorado"

23.1%
  5. When he started bringing cookies to the thread each month.

11.5%
  6. Who cares......as long as somebody remembers the freaking cookies!!!

42.3%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Mr. Freeze93

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great day!

Drygulch and Norcalnewb like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Route 66 ended SAD for me. I think it will remain top tier for you. Glad you like it so far!

3. Bama Samurai

A Tech and a TGN knot is a sweet kit! Ladas is as sharp as it gets. Very cool!

Chalk another up for the good guys!
    @clint64
    @NCoxSTL

4. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

Yes I am very fortunate that those 2 guys helped me out so much. I'm not sure if I can repay there kindness.

5. Bama Samurai

I used a straight today. Taking the party over to June, @RyX turned me on to a sample of vintage Williams Stick. It was cool.

I'll lock this thread in the morning so everybody can finish out.

Great Month, Everyone! Looking forward to Jolly June...

TTT

Drygulch, ob1page, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

You can't repay them. You repay by helping and teaching new guys. You now have knowledge to share. ☺

7. BearCWY

8. Bama Samurai

May 2016 Wrap

53.8% of TSD members who voted in Neal's poll will sell me out for cookies. Good times. :happy088:

:happy097::happy102::happy097:

Drygulch, ob1page, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  9. BearCWY

ROFL @Bama Samurai :happy102: :happy097: :happy102:

Drygulch, Norcalnewb and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. BearCWY

well the Russian PIF is over. and our Mr.Chick took first prize!

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks for a great month everybody! Great month for the 30 Day crew. 99 pages of posts, 1,970 total posts and that's a LOT of MAYhem! On to June to have another great month!

mrchick, Drygulch, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  12. BearCWY

Yea, I was hoping that we would reached 100 pages! And we might yet!

Drygulch and Norcalnewb like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Epilogue

June 1, 2016
    Razor: Thick Cap OT / German Vest Pocket Handle
    Blade: GSB(1)
    Brush: Noname Chinese Pure Badger
    Soap: Nutragena French Milled Soap

I'm in Aberdeen, MD today for day 2 of a 2-day trip for work. Stayed last night at a Hampton Inn which featured Nutragena personal care products. Looking at the "French Milled" soap and since my focus for May was soap/lather, I wondered how it would do as a shave soap. Treating it like a shave stick, I rubbed it on my wet face and worked it with the badger. The result was a respectable lather with little or no dissipation. We use the words slick and protective to describe a lather and, if I could fault this one, it was the almost too slick; indeed, I actually had to check to make sure that I had loaded the blade in the razor because I had no feel for it.

The shave was marvelous and the soap was definitely not Marvy.

ob1page, BearCWY, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I think the Marvy experience has created a culture of experimentation. What soaps can be used to lather that aren't really for shaving? And, rubbing it on your face then lathering.....just classic TSD and 30 day technique stuff. I love it!

ob1page, BearCWY, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Some of these razors were ground by Geo. W. Korn in Little Valley, NY. I just picked up a Queen, and am trying to get confirmation on that to determine if it will stay in my collection.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  16. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Final shave was yesterday, picture below. Another "shave ready" straight that wasn't. Had to clean up with the Mongoose. Got some cuts and irritation, but I found another soap I really, really like.
    image.jpeg
    My wrap up for Mayhem? I used a wide variety of razors, and didn't use any of them two days in a row. I like getting to learn a razor well, so this wasn't the best month of shaves for me. I did discover I like injectors and the Mongoose, but not so much on the old GEM. Straights need to be dialed in to get a good shave. Korn fixed blade straight is a whole new learning curve. I didn't do that this month. A DE can be used with no guard if you ride the cap, and gives as good of a shave as a straight if you do that. Looking forward to a relatively calm June focus of three razors.

ob1page, NCoxSTL, BearCWY and 4 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I do like the razor. I would recommend them to someone to try.

BearCWY and Drygulch like this.
  18. BearCWY

Well Mayhem is over, some of are going to be sad that it's over. It was a panic to read some of the posts in here. Well on to June let's see what happens this month.;)

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think that the strangest thing about the Marvy experience and the culture of experimentation is that, on one hand, you have so-called shaving soaps which completely underperform (fail miserably?) while you have other soaps which are not marketed as shaving soaps but are perfectly reasonable and usable (albeit with a bit of technique).

Makes one wonder what the Product Manager for Soap at the William Marvy Company is thinking...

mrchick, ob1page, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Apparently he's out golfing a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ob1page, Norcalnewb and Drygulch like this.