May 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for MAYhem?

1. Gonna get crazy with the group using less than fine Japanese shavettes!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Can you say blade on a finger? I'm in!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I have other ideas/plans that will definitely fall into the MAYhem category.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm sane. I'll be doing a rule or focus and loving every minute of it!

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I'll be watching the MAYhem like watching a train wreck....is that all the blood you could manage?

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Cookies. Where are the cookies?

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I believe even Ray Charles can see where Frank's ADs are going to start.

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

My wife want buy herself nice stuff but she uses the logic to buy the girls nice stuff all the time. I really appreciate that she is so caring and giving but I do wish she would put herself in line as well.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

This razor tore me up the last time I used it. On today's rematch, I focused on angle and pressure, and got a great shave. Only on knick this time. I held the razor like a pain stick or kamisori rather than an unbalanced straight, and it worked. Very slick and thick lather. Loved the scent. It's botanical and floral, without being sweet. Love this scent. Three passes and a high grade DFS. Mayhem win!
    IMG_6332.jpg

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:D Yes indeed. I can see boxes of soap arriving in his future.

5. PickledNorthern

Nope, my wife buys NOTHING. I am even kind of an old curmudgeon and I have to justify why we are paying for stuff. In her defense, thank God or I'd probably be broke like a cocaine addict.

Good thing I make all the money, or I sure wouldn't be hanging out here. Okay, that's not really true either. She makes just enough money that I know she could afford to divorce me. Which gives me hope that she might be sticking around for the Jared factor.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll look for him on Golf Channel.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Are you doing skin stretching g on the first pass? It made a night and day difference for me.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

That sounds like another Shavy Nomination.;)

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thanks, Jared. I spent a lot of time know the Koraat page before finally ordering this razor.

British Leather isn't my favorite Stirling scent, but it isn't bad either. Every now and then, I have the urge to use it, but you are right, it isn't a very light scent.

40+ hours in the car...exhausting. 2600 miles...back wrenching. Spending $300 on fuel to save $150 buying a desk...priceless. :)

11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

May 26,27

I've had an odd couple of days shaving-wise the last few days. I have developed a neck rash on my lower neck down to the top of my collarbone. I don't believe it is shaving related, but shaving doesn't do it any favours. I've had to shave for work, though, so I couldn't just leave it alone. Suit and Tie function this afternoon for work as well...

Yesterday

Gillette '59 Flare Tip w Sharp Star (3)
    Tabac
    TGN Sythetic
    Thayers Unscented
    Barrister's Reserve Spice

Sorry, no pic. Was just trying for a routine shave due to my neck issues, and got one. First use of Tabac (thanks @BaylorGator !) and got a great lather.

Today

Schick G w Vintage PAL
    Stirling Gentleman SS & Balm
    TGN Finest Fan
    Thayers Unscented
    image.jpg
    Back on focus. Am getting really nice shaves with the G/PAL everytime out. Need to spend more time with the E3 to get it dialed in a little better as well.
    Too bad SWMBO still doesn't dig the Gentleman...
    If it wasn't for this itchy neck, I'd be loving these shaves. No shave tomorrow.
    Have a great weekend all!

12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

May 27 (Saturday ) - respecting my limitations

Supply Provision Single Edge on One-Dot (Mild) plate/ Personna (3)
    Supply Provision synthetic brush
    The Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap
    Alum and Supply Provision Arenella Coast Healing Balm (bergamot, oakmoss, cedar)

I gripped the razor lightly with two fingers today to ensure even lighter pressure. More important, I dropped back down one plate. The result was an excellent near BBS with no cuts, nicks or irritation. One tiny fleck of blood from yesterday's weeper on my lower lip.

I guess I either need to move slower in increasing the aggression on this razor or else simply stay shaving at a level where I get an excellent comfortable shave with no issues and don't try to push it higher just for the sake of going higher with no actual shaving benefit being reaped. As one of our great Western sages once said: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Anyway, it was an excellent pick-me-up shave today. The Arenella Coast scent is a sort of spicy countryside scent. Very pleasant.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I would think just spend time with the one dot plate and then revisit the other plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

What, 45 different soaps that will take me about 5 years to use up( I'm Italian you know) is too much???

Besides, the wife requires me smooth so in the end I am just satisfying her!;):angelic007::D:rolleyes:

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  16. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

That reminds me, I haven't Shave yet today. Better go use up some of my soaps.

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD May 27, 2017

Blade: GEM carbon
    Razor: Ever Ready 1912
    Brush: Omega Hi synthetic
    Lather: TSD Barber Shoppe
    WTG, touch-up

Just when I thought I would use an injector today I was thwarted by the arrival of a package in the mail. It was three Ever Ready SE razors from @twhite by way of @Zykris. I chose the 1912 and a carbon blade and commenced. Really a nice shave! Terrific lather from the TSD Barber Shoppe and smooth strokes with the razor. No complaints at all. WTG and touch-up led to a smooth ride.

Have a great weekend!

SOTD 5-27-17.JPG

SharptoothC, RyX, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

Very cool. What do you think of the knot in the Hi-Brush?

19. PickledNorthern

That is a great looking setup. I think it was a great move for Stan to start making razors in aluminum. I haven't been following closely, but I would be curious to know what percentage of his sales are aluminum now, and if he thinks it has widened his customer base. They are great razors.

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

It's good. Really soft knot but I like that at times. I had to glue it back in because it popped out one time when drying it on a towel. The handle has a small crack. It's my main travel brush.

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.