May 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for MAYhem?

1. Gonna get crazy with the group using less than fine Japanese shavettes!

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Can you say blade on a finger? I'm in!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I have other ideas/plans that will definitely fall into the MAYhem category.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I'm sane. I'll be doing a rule or focus and loving every minute of it!

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. I'll be watching the MAYhem like watching a train wreck....is that all the blood you could manage?

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. Cookies. Where are the cookies?

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim and Doug. I hope you both have a great Monday.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0356.JPG
    1 May 2017 Menthol Monday
    MAYhem GEM Featherweight Focus Shave

My very minor MAYhem started yesterday with my first shave with the GEM Featherweight. Very close smooth shave. However as with any razor/blade combo it's how they perform during the week that makes or breaks 'em.
    Since it's Monday I broke out the C O Bigelow and my Omega 6212 Silvertip. A nice 2.5 pass DFS. The GEM with the Gem Stainless Steel blades is very smooth. I've heard that the PAL blades are even better. Later in the month I may put that to the test.
    Splashed on some Proraso Green A/S and my first official MAYhem shave is in the books.
    Have an outstanding Monday people!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful photo Jim.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and lineup Perry. What do you think of the Hawk?

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I like it a lot! Some people complain about the lightness of the handle but it doesn't bother me. You can always use whatever handle you'd like. I find it to be very smooth and efficient. It's a little interesting shaving in the upper lip area. I have to go sideways, like I do with a GEM razor, but that's not a problem. Overall it's a great razor, particularly for the price.

6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

May 1

Gillette Pre-War Fat Handled Tech w Voskhod (#?)
    Stirling Baker Street SS
    TGN Synthetic
    Thayers Unscented
    Barrister's Reserve Cool
    image.jpg
    First day of May and am already off focus. Will start my Injector focus in a day or two. I walked into an Antique store in a small town in Alberta on the weekend and walked out with this Pre-War (triangular holes) Canadian fat-handled Tech. Paid very little for it, and it has cleaned up very nicely. Will use it for a few days before getting 'focussed'. I think I'll make it my 'backup' on the Sayuri day(s).
    Loaded a Voskhod that I used a few months ago and I have no idea how many days are on it; I doubt it is more than 3 or I would have pitched it.
    Pressed a little Baker Street into a bowl and made a nice lather. 3+ passes later to a near BBS. Went ATG on my neck, which I'll do only rarely. Finished with some Cool and this was a great start to the week.
    Have a great day all!

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

An unfocused focus is my favorite focus, and as unfocused as it seems, it takes a great deal of focus to maintain this lack of focus. I find myself focusing on each shave as an individual experience. With the same setup everyday it becomes drudgery to me, and boredom begets a lack of focus. When I create variables, I have to focus on each shave more fully and that focus begets a deeper learning experience. So, to summarize, lack of focus leads to increased focus. My theory is that this paradox has created some type of wormhole in the time-space continuum. A Ground hog day effect, if you will. Each day is a shave all its own, and I get to fit more shave than most. 30 day focus? Pshhhh. I'm getting 90 days into every 30 thanks to my unfocused focus wormhole effect. That's three times the experience, and experience takes focus and grants advanced technique.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, Screwtape, RyX and 7 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

9. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Jason.

10. jtspartan

Thank you, Jim.

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That is one nice piece of Sheffield steel Jared! Congrats on the new job BTW!

12. Linuxguile

That monstrous brush dwarfs even the General! Very nice Clint!

13. Linuxguile

I'd be happy to send you a couple of the Prime's to check out.

SharptoothC, RyX, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Cool shot, Jim!
    Mmm I love pineapple, I gotta get me some of this. Is it worthy of a full tub ?

15. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Andrew!

16. Linuxguile

Beautiful new addition to your collection Jason!

17. jtspartan

Thanks, Andrew.

18. Linuxguile

As I mentioned in the April thread, my plan for MAYhem is to use blades in razors that were not designed to use them. First up a modified DE blade in my Schick E3 injector, after that a DE in the Shovelhead, and finally a Feather Pro in a Schick I1 injector. Not too hazardous, but should be fun!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  19. PLAla

I'm very interested in the modified DE blade in an injector. What are you going to do to it exactly to make it fit?

SharptoothC, Norcalnewb, RyX and 4 others like this.
  20. PLAla

I think it is. @PickledNorthern likes the Iced Pineapple as well. I tried a sample at first but would certainly consider a full tub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.