MAYhem 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Apr 30, 2018.

?

What's your MAYhem look like?

1. Gonna use some brand new gear that I've never tried and just have FUN with it!

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I'm thinking of pairing some gear together I've never paired before.

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Time to go full dark side and learn straights - this is the month to bleed after all.

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. A total bloody mess may be in my future - stand by!

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  5. I'm playing it safe and eating as many cookies as I can.

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

The War of the Acronyms:. TSD 30DC SOTD meets LSD

9nein9, Keithmax, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That sounds delicious. I have 2 racks of ribs for the Big Green Egg on Monday.

9nein9, Screwtape, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Be safe Perry. Hopefully Alberto will roll through quickly and not wash out the entire weekend.

9nein9, PLAla, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Even though I like menthol, I am sure the Stirling Glacial soaps are too much for me.

9nein9, Screwtape, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

doing nothing.jpeg

9nein9, Keithmax, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD MAYhem 26th
    [​IMG]

Gem G-Bar
    RiteAid CS
    Ever-Ready 200T
    Stirling Iced Pineapple
    Drydock lather bowl

I normally don't shave over the weekend but there were a couple reasons I did today. First off over the last few months I've noticed my beard has been coming back quicker and by Sunday I look like a Sasquatch. Secondly it's going to be really warm here and Ice pineapple sounded delightful. Lastly I need a control shave so that I can tell how the industrial Gem CS blade that I stropped worked. First pass with the Rite Aid carbon steel blade was pretty smooth and sharp better than I experienced with the industrial gem blade I tried a few months ago. Across the grain was kind of rough and I'm not sure I'm sold on the CS blades.

On a side note the knot in this brush and I are not getting along. It does not have enough backbone for me and it still stinks of badger despite multiple attempts to clean it and using it a dozen or so times.

To end on a positive note the ice pineapple was fantastic. I love the scent and the Menthol hit. have a great weekend my friends!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, 9nein9, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I had the same experience the first time with a Glacial. Your skin or menthol tolerance or something adapts and gets used to it where it becomes more enjoyable. Kind of like the spice level of Thai food or setting on an adjustable razor. Over time they start to feel a lot milder.

Coo coo cachoo, Clint! I’m a long standing egg man myself. Nothing better!

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Love the photo Andrew. What kind of knot did use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9nein9, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree Randy. My Egg is 23 years old and going strong. The Egg makes a even a bad cook into a good cook.

10. Linuxguile

Thank you Clint! It's a 24mm TGN finest.

9nein9, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  11. BaylorGator

You win Clint. I gave my 20 year old egg to my father in law when I won a new one in our church men’s night raffle last year. Pretty sure neither of us will ever have to buy another one.

People think I’m a BBQ genius, when really it’s a lot more about having the best tools than having the best skills. This is one place where tools trump technique. (Apologies to the Samurai).

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    FaceScraper, 9nein9, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

This is the exact reason I didn't have a problem purchasing a Kamado Joe about 5 years ago. I am hoping it is the last grill I ever have to buy.

My brother is still using the Imperial Kamado that my parents received as wedding gift in 1961.

FaceScraper, 9nein9, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sometimes TGN is hit and miss. I’ve had good ones and some not so good.

9nein9, Keithmax, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They last forever. I’ve had to replace certain parts over the years like dampers, grated and the rings that attach the top and bottom pieces. Mine has outlasted a number of gas grills that I keep around for grilling something quick.

I’ve cooked everything from pies to pizza on the thing. Single best purchase I’ve made for the home.

9nein9, Keithmax, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Hmmm, is that one of the stainless kitty bowls from WallyWorld that you're using as a soap dish? I recognize it because I'm using the same thing for my Stirling sample pucks. They're a perfect size for soap dishes, and flare out just enough for easy loading. Oh yeah - and they're cheap.

Yeah, I know this post was a little ways back. I'm a little ways back in catching up with this thread.

16. BaylorGator

I’d like to remind everyone, that there is less than one week left in MAYhem, and several Shavey categories remain unpopulated. Now is the time to get your stunt shave on, or nominate your friends for an award. Also don’t forget to nominate yourself for one of the PIF’s if you’re a newbie, watching from the sidelines or whatever. Make sure you get your Shavey on before the award show starts!

9nein9, Keithmax, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Andrew!

9nein9, clint64, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Thank you, Jim!

9nein9, clint64, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My shoulder just came off along with a Fatty (a roll of sausage with some cheese and New Mexico green chile inside). I have some chicken legs to go on next. I love the Egg as it is so versatile. Mine is only about 5 years old, though.

9nein9, Keithmax, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Little One walked today. I cried. All my kids are grown up now.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.