Meet JR #262

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Mar 2, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks to Jim, @Jayaruh , I have obtained the brush handle I've been looking for. I received the handle, and was wanting to set the knot a little deeper, but was unable to, for fear of breaking something. In the process, the finish was marred slightly. So, I stripped it down, and put a very light Walnut stain on, to bring out the patterns in the wood. I also stripped the Ebony to its natural colors, streaks and all. I sanded it down, to 2000 grit paper, buffing it out with 000-0000 steel wool. These are some very hard woods, with tight grains, that sand out very smooth. I then put several layers of Tru-Oil finish on it, buffing out with steel wool, between coatings. This was very time consuming, because it took a day, between each coat of finish. I then put a light coating of Carnuba Wax on the outside.
    I set the knot in 100% Silicon, now waiting a good 1 1/2 days to set.

J.R.#262- Birds Eye Maple and Ebony Wood.
    Whipped Dog Silvertip Badger knot.

P3020032.JPG

Spyder, Briscoe, Redfisher and 17 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Jayaruh Approved
    Very nice.

Redfisher, jimjo1031, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

That there is one fine looking brush. I don't care what anyone says, that there is seeeeexxxxyyyyy!

Sent from some cell phone using some app

Edit: Nice work. Now I know where to send mine. :signs107: :happy096:

Redfisher and DaltonGang like this.
  4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yuh dun gud.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It’s gorgeous!

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks great!

7. DaltonGang

Tic Toc, Tic Toc. It's been about 1 1/2 days, and the knot still hasn't completely set up. This is painful.

8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lovely brush!!

I waited a week after Jim sent mine and recently the knot fell out. The silicone was very sticky and seemed it didn’t set.

9. DaltonGang

I guess I will give it a few more days, and if it doesn't set, then I'm going to use the trusty epoxy.

Enrico likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've thought about using silicone, but to this time have only used epoxy.

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

I just read up on set up times for silicone. They say at least 3-4 days, for 100% silicone, possibly more.

Redfisher likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

Well, verdict in. The silicone doesn't appear to be setting up, even after 4 full days. So, I cleaned it all out, and what a PITA. I finally was able to clean the entire inside and the end of the knot, plus clean it with alcohol. I roughed the surfaces up, to aide in adhesion.
    So, I ended up using the trusty 5 minute Gorilla Glue Epoxy. After 10 minutes, it was very snug. More so than 4 days of the silicone.
    After a few hours, it was tight as a rock, and I felt safe to use it. It is a wonderfully shaped handle, but it will take a few lathers to get the Badger Butt smell out of the knot. Peeeyewweeeee!!!! It does lather well and fits the hand nicely.
    Thanks again @Jayaruh .

Redfisher likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Maybe you are using a different silicone than I do or not as much or too little. I just reknotted my son's brush and used silicone. I began using it after 24 hours and used it for a week then sent it off to him. Most of the badger butt smell was gone by then. Epoxy is the way to go if you really want to keep that knot in the handle.
    Anyhow, I am glad you got it to the point where you like it.

14. DaltonGang

I plan on keeping the knot in the handle. It looks and feels too good, to make a switch.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Redfisher likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It does look good.

DaltonGang and Redfisher like this.
  16. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Very nice brush!

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. blitz

blitz Member

fine work. what did you end up setting at?

DaltonGang likes this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice job, Scott! I just hope you realize that Badger butt smell rubs off on yer face :eek:

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

I don't know, whatever @Jayaruh set it at.

Tell me about it. I had to wash my face good, after using it for the first time. Since then, I've lathered and soaked it in lather at least 8 times. It's just barely noticeable now.

Spyder likes this.