Mellon Razor any info?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Etoyoc, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I picked up a Mellon Razor head yesterday (it was frankenrazored to a tech so I don't have the original handle). Pat #2374612 is all that it was marked with.

Here is the patent information. http://www.google.com/patents?id=3x...612&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1#PPA1,M1

According to the patent, it is supposed to store water and release as you shave. Surprisingly, it did appear to do this.

At first glance, I thought this razor had a very large blade gap and would tear my flesh off of my face. However, on close examination, the blade isn't exposed that much. Between the water retention and the low blade exposure, this was an extremely mild razor.

It left plenty of lather behind with each stroke and it was a very slick shave. However, it wasn't that close of a shave. I used 7 O'Clock Sharp in the test shave, so I don't think a dull blade is to blame for the results.

Anybody else have or try one of these? I am interested to see what other information is out there on them.

The head:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blade Exposure:
    [​IMG]

Chimes13 replied in my "Haul" post with the following pic and information...

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yep, the head looks like that of a "Shave King Self Lubricating Razor" Supposed to be a very nice shave, I have been looking for one, two sold within an hour of eachother about a month ago and I forgot to bid. :o

[​IMG]
    image credits to mojo88