Memories of old people (your memories)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I think I and many would disagree with this statement but the powers that be have their own agendas.

There have also been a wave of plus size models recently also. Disclaimer... I am in no way saying 110 is plus sized.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Our first pc was an IMB compatible that was a 386 with a whopping 32MB hard drive and a 512k modem if I remember right.

I also remember my dad having a commodor 64? Looked like a briefcase with the keyboard that snapped off and was the yellow/green screen...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Zykris and Keithmax like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In 1980 there were no 300# players in the league. Over 350 players today.

Keithmax and BigMark83 like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

It's a little nuts, at 5-10, 110 is really small. Some of this is a change in the popular notion of feminine beauty. When looking at popular pinup gals from ww2 like Betty Grable, Jayne Mansfield and Rita Hayworth, it seems that the "ideal" was a little older and more realistic than the Jenner types of today. They actually looked like normal humans.

Then (1940s):

IMG_1439.JPG

From left: Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall and Betty Grable.

RyX, Zykris, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, that is precisely my point. I always thought the older curvier ideal was far more attractive.

RyX, Zykris, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

I've also always thought that women's fashion from the 40s-50s was superior to modern tastes. It exudes class and beauty, rather than simply advertising body shape. Those women could really wear the clothes well, and the clothes were beautiful.

7. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Well said!

Zykris likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

That's actually been changing in the last 10-15 years. Several of the modeling centres in Europe have passed BMI laws to stop the progression of 'skeletons with skin' as models, due to health risks. (5'8" and 110? That's pretty thin. I used to toss a fellow lifeguard into the pool who was around that weight. Light as a feather)

Keithmax, Sara-s and BigMark83 like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Contemporary female fashion models....
    skinny.jpg

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

We called my grandfather Dzia Dzia.

Don

Keithmax likes this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

^ which reminds me of a memory relevant to Gen X or whatever. We called our grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. None of this I'm too cool to be a grandparent nonsense, just call me meema or pop pop instead.

Ethnic equivalence of course would have applied as well had that been our family.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was trying to find my stash of thumb drives. I seem to have lost them. I ran across my 12 inch slide rule. How do you figure that?

I remember Saturday Night at the Movies on TV. That was cool. Now you can watch movies all day any day on TV.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Basic Mannheim or one of those fancy Log-Log DeciTrig ones?

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I thought the one in the purple was a mannequin.

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of these are like Andreja Pejić, and are either transgendered, or have chromosomal damage. (The more research I've done over the years on how easily that chromosomal pair can be mangled, the more I wonder about how we've survived as a species)

'meemaw' is from the French, 'Maman' (means 'mom') and is very common among Cajun, and was corrupted into 'meemaw'. Papa means 'father'. My father's side of the family is from New Brunswick, and my grandfather was 'Papa'. My father is 'Papa' to his grandchildren. I'll probably be 'Papa' to my grandchildren. My eldest uncle called my grandfather 'pops', and the rest of them called him 'Dad'. The _other_ grandparents were simply Grandma and Grandpa.

I will say that even though I don't like being "Mr.", I think it's sad how many people have lost the understanding that at first introduction, 'Mr.' and 'Missus' (or even 'Miss') are not insults!

RyX, sdguero and Keithmax like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Drugs

After 1995 (intro of www and Netscape) the homogenization of world cultures sped up.

monochrome green and orange text monitors.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RyX, Jayaruh, sdguero and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It's one of them there fancy Keuffel & Esser 4081-3 Log Log Decitrig Duplex Slide Rules with 26 scales.
    sliderule.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    RyX, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  18. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Dang! I don't think I could ever say that coorectly, let alone figure out how to use one.

RyX, Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Nice! Somewhere around here, I've got a couple of similar ones from Pickett.

The docs are interesting, BTW, in that they refer to a "computer" as someone who performs calculations rather than a calculating machine.

RyX, Keithmax and sdguero like this.
  20. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Being Israeli I call my Dad "Aba" and my Mom "Ima" which are Hebrew words for Dad and Mom. Yet I called my grandfather "Zaydeh" and my grandmother "Babeh" which are Yiddish words for grandpa and grandma.

RyX, Enrico, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.