Memories of old people (your memories)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I remember my mother telling me, "Don't drink out of that fountain. It's for coloreds." I had no idea.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'd buy one of those today!

Yup - although I did a bunch of research, and it appears that most of the ones that _looked_ like a continuous length actually were not. As they came off of one roller, they were rolled up on the pickup roller. It's just that the towels are so long that you wouldn't tend to see it. They'd then be unloaded and sent off for cleaning - just like uniforms. (possibly _with_ the uniforms)

Like the water would be any different.

Eeyore and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Bookworm

Just as a follow-up, there have apparently been two attempts to bring back a grated soap dispenser in the last 6 years or so. The only one I can find that appears to be a real product is $149 euros, and requires -square- bars of soap. (soap block in the top, and you push a bar at the front which grates some soap)

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Reminds me of a "poem" that an old (now deceased) Irish neighbor used to quote.

mild language warning (open)

When Adam was a little boy
    and paper not invented,
    he'd wipe his ass upon the grass
    and walk away contented.

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

This soap I mean:

[​IMG]

Keithmax likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Oh wow. I don't believe I've ever seen that, and I've seen a lot of weird bathrooms in 45 years.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  7. richgem

Some things are better left unposted. :eek:

:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. richgem

Ik heb het nooit gezien.
    (I have never seen it.)

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think these are typical European maybe?

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

They few I've seen here are puke green. I'll take a [pic the next time I see one.

RyX likes this.
  11. Bookworm

You mean you've never been in a Dairy Queen? I swear, of all the bathrooms of all the restaurants, those tend to be universally the _worst_.

(With family in Canada, and living in Texas, that makes for a lot of long road trips)

Keithmax likes this.
  12. richgem

I'm lactose intolerant so no. But at least now I know what I've been missing, I think.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Etch a sketch, silly putty, spirorgaph, erector sets, train sets, slot cars, slinkys, metal Tonka trucks.

RyX, Zykris, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I remember my dad taking me to a department store bathroom to wash my mouth out with that grated soap when I had said a bad word. I remember thinking I had the whole bar caked in there. I also remember thinking it didn't taste too well.

RyX, Zykris, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I remember being in a department store and needing to use the bathroom, only to get their and find they were pay toilets. At seven I had to find my mother to get change and go back ... quickly! :scared007:I always thought it was crazy to charge for a necessary bodily function. :angry032:

16. Bookworm

Frankly, I understood _public_ toilets being 'for pay'. Someone has to maintain them, and there are consumables. It's not like it's just a hole in the ground. Private pay toilets I thought as being like pay parking for a shopping centre. That's just greed, to try to get money two ways from the same person.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Bon Scott was still alive.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My father had a bunch of cans of this on the shelve. I use to pack bearing on my car and bicycles with it.
    [​IMG]

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

You may be amazed at how many of these things are still around. Maybe not the same quality, but still around. My kids, who are still in Elementary School, had had the following from your list- Etch a Sketch, Silly Putty, Metal Slinkies and Metal Tonka Trucks. Other 'older' toys that they have that we got new are Lincoln logs and Mechano.

RyX, Keithmax and AGHisBBS like this.
  20. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I guess there is some hope for the video game generation:D.

Keithmax and Zykris like this.