Menthol Crystals

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by jimjo1031, Jul 27, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A friend of mine who has a lot of menthol crystals is giving me some and I was wondering if it can be made into liquid by adding it into something.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Grain alcohol.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Or water. But, I would keep them in Crystal form until ready to use. Oh, keep them in an airtight baggie, until ready to use. Preferably with a packet of descicant, to keep moisture out.

jimjo1031 and ob1page like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

You can add the crystals to glycerin and a bit of alcohol to make menthol glycerin. Great way to mentholate any lather you choose. It can also be added aftershaves, just be careful and add a little bit at a time. It is very easy to overdo it.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For some reason I'm afraid to experiment with menthol crystals.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Really?? I would never have thought that. You are the Menthol King around here.

jimjo1031 and crackstar like this.
  7. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Be really careful with them. I sprinkled a few in my rinse water, to create a refreshing end to my shave routine and to make my facecloth smell nice. My hand slipped and only a few more than I expected fell into the water. After an hour the menthol smell on my skin and in my hair line was still increasing. It was so bad I had to strip, wash my clothes and get in the shower. It was a very overwhelming sensation and I have not used them since!

jimjo1031 and barbersurgeon like this.
  8. jimjo1031

yeah, exactly what I wanted it for

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

got some latex gloves for that

dangermouse likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They can also be dissolved into a carrier oil, under low heat. No more than 10% concentration by weight.

dangermouse and jimjo1031 like this.
  11. jimjo1031

I took some of the menthol liquid I made and added it to the rest of my orange soaps after melting them to create a large tub of orange freeze shaving soap. About 12.5 oz. worth, yeah it's a big one. Also made up some Menthol PSO and then heated up a little Grape Seed oil and added menthol crystals to dissolve , yeah I was bored, then combined it to some Avon Black Suede after shave balm. Everything seemed to go ok and will find out when I use them..................... IMG_0633.jpg

NTR likes this.
  12. dangermouse

Orange freeze, now that sounds good. I shaved with your Orange soap last night. Is there any way to make the colour of your Orange soap, Orange? Have you tried making a Lime soap, Jim? Cheers

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

I think the bentonite clay made it that color. May have used a bit more than supposed to, just a guess. Lemon and lime are ones I have thought about, or just a lemon-lime. Also toying around with an orange sandlewood, lots of possibilities.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    dangermouse likes this.
  14. dangermouse

They all sound terrific!

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You can buy colorants that are made for soap. But orange oil is naturally orange in color anyway.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Don't be scared brother! I love playing chemist and messing around with menthol crystals. Just made up some iced Thayers and iced Veg.

:Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:

Robyflexx, crackstar and jimjo1031 like this.