Menthol Mondays!! WooHoo!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Dridecker, Mar 7, 2010.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette WWII Tech Razor
    Bic Chrome Platinum Blade
    Barbershop Boar Brush (modified)
    Proraso Green Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Aqua Velva After Shave

20170911_141752.jpg

RyX, Jayaruh, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_0681.JPG

SEptember 11 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Stirling Frozen Tundra
    Gem Junior
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Mickey Lee Soap Works Colonia di Agrumi AS

RyX, Jayaruh, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

9.11.17.jpg SOTD 9.11.2017

Preshave: shower, Shave Secret (not pictured)
    Soap: Williams + Cremo Cooling Shave Cream
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Razor: Vintage OCMM
    Blade: Gem Stainless SE
    Post Shave: Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Cooling balm, Barbasol Brisk AS

I finally remembered it was Menthol Monday! Today was the first time I took out the Gem Open Comb Micro to use. I acquired it a month or so ago. I haven't shaved for 3 days so I could put this to the test. It's only the 2nd Micromatic razor I've used (besides the Clog-Pruf). Initially I put in a used blade which had 2 or 3 previous uses, I couldn't remember. Starting out the shave felt rough so I didn't waste anymore time and put in a new blade. So much better! It was a smooth, 2 pass shave. I didn't even have to go over my trouble spots a 3rd or 4th time. It was a CCS!

Have a great week everyone!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    jimjo1031, RyX, Jayaruh and 3 others like this.
  4. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Started with SV Stella Alpina, no menthol, but damned good soap. The ATT R2 with a Kronos handle to remove the stubble. THEN some Stirling Executive Man with menthol.

jimjo1031, RyX, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

IMG_0701.JPG

SEptember 18 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    Stirling Frozen Tundra
    Gem Featherweight
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    County Club 1837 AS

jimjo1031, RyX, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Menthol Monday's SE Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    TSD Iced Lime
    Jayaruh #216
    Gem Push-Button
    CVS SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Vegetal

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The TSD Iced Lime Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #216 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gem Push-Button razor and a CVS blade. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Clubman Vegetal AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Primotenore, jimjo1031, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. sdguero

SOTD 9.18.17

Pre-shave: Hot Shower then Shave Secret (not pictured)
    Brush: Omega Hi-Brush
    Cream: CO Bigelow
    Razor: Gem Micromatic bullet-tip
    Blade: Gem Stainless (2)
    Post Shave: Dickenson's Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Shave Balm, Brut AS

This was my first shave since last Friday so it gave me a good opportunity to try out the vintage bullet-tip Micromatic which I picked up last month. After my first pass I had so much stubble remaining on the neck I thought there was a problem with the razor or the blade or my technique. That first pass was very comfortable but maybe I had too much slick going on between the lather and the Shave Secret. I re-lathered and my second pass was equally comfortable but this time I could hear the blade as it cut through the remaining stubble. I had to do a third, clean-up pass on my throat which is normal and I achieved a CCS. I then moved on to a head shave and it was outstanding! Gotta love these SE Gems!

Have a great week of shaves, my friends!

IMG_1125.JPG

Primotenore, jimjo1031, RyX and 4 others like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like the cooling from Cremo, but haven't tried Modern Williams. How's the lather when mixed? I'm fine with molesting The Williams having done it a couple time with a vintage stick.

Edit; I found your review...humm.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 09182017.gif
    Triple menthol shave for a Monday!

10. sdguero

I really like the lather when combining Williams with a shaving cream like Cremo. You'll still feel that Cooling effect in spite of the mixture. As far as the "lubricant" smell I got? Well, I find I get that same odor whenever I use something with menthol or Eucalyptus Oil... I don't know for sure. I used CO Bigelow yesterday and when I was initially mixing it in the bowl I got that same smell of "lubricant." That odor went away very quickly as I continued to work the lather. For most of my life, I've never been a fan of menthol in anything but I find I do like the cooling effect.

jimjo1031 and RyX like this.
  11. Norcalnewb

9B05B191-D778-40BE-BD4E-7643C6CB3E10.jpeg

SEptember 25 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    CO Bigelow SC
    Ever-Ready 1914
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso Green AS

Primotenore, jimjo1031, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  12. jimjo1031

Gillette Black Handle Flair Tip (Y4) Razor
    Wilkinson Classic Blade
    DIY Boar/Flashlight Handle Brush
    Proraso Green Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Barbasol Brisk After Shave

20170925_123542.jpg

RyX, Primotenore, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  13. sdguero

SOTD 9.25.2017

Pre-shave: Several cups of black coffee (like most mornings) then a hot shower
    Cream: Head Slick Mentholated Shave Cream
    Razor: Eversharp I2 injector razor (just acquired on Saturday)
    Blade: Schick (1)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's witch hazel, Nivea Cooling Shave Balm, Aqua Velva AS

I just got this razor on a trip out-of-town on Saturday so I cleaned it up over the weekend to try it today. This was my first shave since last Thursday. Initially, I was just going to apply the shave cream by hand as I always have with this shave cream. I don't think this cream is meant to be "brushed" into a lather. At the last moment, I decided to experiment. A few days ago I bought a bottle of Glycerin to try using with soap pucks, but I didn't want to wait another day or two to use it and I thought, "What the heck? Let's try a few drops with this cream." I'm glad I did. Using my Marvy boar brush, I was able to build a fine, creamy lather with just a few drops and a quarter size amount of cream (see photo attached). When I applied it to my face it was soft, and slick and thick. I don't know if it was because of the Glycerin or simply brushing the lather on, this time I could really feel the menthol in this cream. In the past, when I've used it, applying by hand only I couldn't feel any menthol. Anyway, I also did a head shave today as well. While I had enough creamy lather for 3 passes on my face shave.... by the time I was finished with my face what was left in the bowl had dissipated so much, I had to add more cream and Glycerin to make another batch of lather. Overall, it was a great shave! I hope the same for all of you this week!

Dan

IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1189.JPG

RyX, PLAla, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    sod170925.JPG
    Menthol Monday's SE Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Proraso Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #206
    AutoStrop VB1
    Feather Stainless SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Proraso Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #206 badger brush. I did two passes with the AutoStrop VB1 razor and a Feather Stainless SE blade. I ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

jimjo1031, sdguero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD October 2, 2017

Prep: Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Schick
    Razor: Schick J1 injector
    Brush: Omega Hi synthetic
    Lather: C.O. Bigelow cream
    WTG, touch up

Enjoyable Menthol Monday edition today with C.O. Bigelow cream. Used Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap as well. The Barbasol Brisk is also pretty chilly. Nice way to begin the work week.

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 10-2-17.JPG

16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Menthol Monday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    C.O. Bigelow
    Jayaruh #224
    AutoStrop VB1
    Feather SE
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #224 synthetic brush. I did the two passes with the AutoStrop VB1 and Feather SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

17. Norcalnewb

947ACE41-7493-46B2-A325-ADE3B0C2C89A.jpeg

OCtober 2 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    CO Bigelow SC
    Gillette Old Type
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Proraso Green AS

Jayaruh, RyX, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  18. jimjo1031

Schick G8 Razor
    Personna Injector Blade
    Made Rite #15 Boar Brush
    Love My Skin Spearmint Soap
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Lucky Tiger Aspen After Shave

20171002_153543.jpg

Jayaruh, RyX, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  19. sdguero

SOTD 10.2.2017

Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Soap: CO Bigelow
    Razors: Merkur 1904 OC (loaded with a new German made Wilkinson-Sword blade)
    "Pacific" TTO razor (loaded with a new "Pacific" DE blade)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive Cooling Balm, Skin Bracer

This was my first shave since Friday and I was looking forward to it as well because I used SE razors all last month. I found I missed the DE razors. While I want to participate in the OC focus in October, I'm not going to use them every day. There are several razors I want to use this month and they're not all OC. For years, I promised my wife that I would grow a beard after I retired. Although the rules for facial hair at my place of work had relaxed over the last few years, I was still "old-school" and made sure I was clean shaven except for my mustache. When I retired this summer she reminded me of that promise for a beard and I convinced her to wait until no-shave November. Summer time was too hot for a beard in July. :cool:

Anyway, I was torn between this morning between using an OC razor or trying out the inexpensive $1 DE TTO razor and blades from Dollar Tree reported by @gzp last week in the following thread: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dollar-tree-1-safety-razor.57499/

So I decided to compromise. I planned on both a face shave and a head shave today and elected to try the "Pacific" razor on my face, and use the Merkur for my head shave. I lathered up the CO Bigelow into a creamy, protective lather and began the shave. I was very careful because I noticed the blade gap was more than in other TTO razors I have. I also had 72 hours of stubble to plow through. I did find a safe angle for the shave but it was uncomfortable and rough feeling. I shaved both cheeks and then removed the Wilkinson blade from the Merkur and replaced the Pacific blade in the cheap razor. The cutting through the stubble was easier but it was still an uncomfortable shave as I went over the neck to finish up the first pass. So I replaced the Wilkinson blade in the Merkur, set the cheap razor aside, and finished the face shave with the Merkur OC. What a difference.... extremely smooth and comfortable and a CCS. I then moved on to do a head shave with the Merkur again an excellent result.

In fairness, the cheap Pacific razor did give me a DFS in that it was close. But my face was burning after that first pass with it. So much so, I had to switch to the Merkur.

Have a great week everyone!

IMG_1243.JPG

Jayaruh, EnglishChannel, RyX and 3 others like this.
  20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD October 9, 2017

Prep: Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Feather Pro
    Razor: RazoRock Black Hawk
    Brush: Jayaruh boar
    Lather: C.O. Bigelow shave cream
    WTG, touch up

Nice little menthol Monday edition with no complaints.

SOTD 10-9-17.JPG

Jayaruh, EnglishChannel, RyX and 3 others like this.