Mentholated shave soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I really don't know what to say HAHAHA! That's a lot of menthol! I admire that setup =)

What was most surprising was that TSD iced subzero is colder than glacial. I didn't know there was anything colder than glacial =P or did I misunderstand?

There is so many things I never heard of haha. How do you find these things. Your post can be used as an index haha =)

crackstar likes this.
  2. Omelmad

That is logical, it's to bad Williams didn't pack them in plastic bags =P it would be cool to know how mentholated they were. I don't think a lot

I have 2 Williams mug soap from the US. I haven't figured them out yet =) but I havent really given it effort

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I just tried The Stirling Frozen Tundra. That was my first menthol shave experience. I have to say, it was completely different. It took a few minutes, but it got cold. I keep my brush in a mug that sits in warm water and the warm lather that turned to ice was a new experience for me.

Porter, crackstar and Omelmad like this.
  4. Omelmad

Haha nice isnt it

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Which begs the question, is it "oxymoronic" to use a mentholated soap/cream and try to keep it warm? :p

David Green and crackstar like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

It's definitely a little fire and ice deal going on. I liked it. The "ice" won, though.

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ohhhhhhhhhh, Glacial is MUCH colder than Iced Subzero - take my word on that. The reason I put the Glacial farther down was because at that time I hadn't yet received the Glacial. Iced Subzero is indeed very cold, but not even close to Glacial. It's like comparing day to night. :)

8. Omelmad

I thought so =P it was suspicious

crackstar likes this.
  9. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

You are correct as usual sir.

10. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

crackstar likes this.
  11. crackstar

No I'm not - just a menthol lover! :)

David Green likes this.
  12. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Fellow menthol lover here. In the name of being helpful I'll share my experiences as far as menthol and rank my experiences starting with 1 being the most metholated:

Soaps:
    1. Queen Charlotte Soaps Vostok - This soap is great IMHO. It wasn't as cold as I thought it would be, but it is pretty cold, provides great lubrication, and smells pretty nice with a heavy Peppermint fragrance.
    2. Queen Charlotte Soaps Iced Key Lime - This is pretty much as cold as the Vostok but it smells a little bit better. The key lime scent is amazing.
    3. Mama Bear's Awakenings- I just got this and I do enjoy it, but it's not as cold as the Queen Charlotte Soaps. The smell is ok, kinda like loads of peppermint with a bit of citrus.
    4. Proraso Green: A classic and definitely a nice product. It lathers easily, smells nice, and has a good amount of menthol, even though it's not a "face freezer" like the above soaps.

Gels/Creams:
    1. Godrej Menthol Mist- Was plenty cold (though not on par with the QCS/Mama Bear soaps I tried), but I just didnt care for it. It didn't lather well for me and I disliked the scent.
    2. King of Shaves Alphagel Supercooling- I picked this up at Target and really like it for a quick shave. It's really slick and lubricates well, and the menthol seems nonexistent at first, but when you start shaving, it is quite pronounced.
    3. Proraso Green- Seemed similar to the soap version, but maybe a wee bit colder.
    4. Kiss My Face Cool Mint- Not as cold as the real face freezers and a more subtle cooling effect, similar to Proraso, but maybe slightly less cold. However, I love this stuff. $6.99 for an 11 oz bottle (with a pump) at Whole Foods. It smells awesome. When I first tried it, I just applied it straight to my face and head and it was hard to lather up. However, when I used with my brush, it only took a tiny bit for the brush to come alive with thick, foamy lather.
    5. Headslick- As a head shaver, this was first menthol product I used. Not bad, pretty good menthol tingle, but not worth the $8 a can when there are far better menthol products that provide better results.
    6. Bump Patrol- very little menthol, awful shave, and quite oily/messy unless shaving in the shower. Hated it.

Canned foams:
    1. Gillette Foamy Menthol- For $1.87 a can, it is a good bargain and nice to have for when I don't have time for a wet shave. It is typical canned goo, but it packs plenty of menthol punch, moreso than Proraso IMHO.
    2. Proraso Green- Best canned foam I've tried, but not worth $10 a can when you can get quality soaps/creams at the same price. Not as much menthol kick as the cream.
    3. Barbasol Arctic Chill- Decent cheapo canned goo. I got a decent shave, but there is not nearly enough menthol.

Aftershave Balms/Splashes:
    T1. Osage Rub- A classic. Hard to find around here, but a bottle lasts forever and it is very chilly. Not a lot of pleasant fragrance, but it's old school.
    T1. Queen Charlotte Soaps Vostok A/S Balm- LOVE IT!!!!! A little goes a long way. To me, it's just as cold as Osage Rub, but without the alcohol sting. The scent stays around a while and it makes my skin feel nice and moisturized.
    2. Barbasol Pacific Rush A/S- For $1.75 a bottle, it is a good bargain. Not as chilly as Osage Rub or Vostok, but it still has plenty of kick. I love the scent and it's easy to find at Dollar General.
    3. Barbasol Brisk- Almost as cold as their Pacific Rush A/S, but not quite. However, I don't like the scent.
    4. Dollar General version of Brut- Awful...I hated the smell and it just didn't provide enough of the menthol kick.

Next up, I've got the TSD Iced Subzero shave stick on order and I can't wait to try it out.

Omelmad and crackstar like this.
  13. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

I really over did it I used c.o. bigelow cream and sqeezed the m bomb a little to much on my brush. Eyes watering nose running. Then ran out to start my truck in 5 degree weather. Felt like my entire head was numb and shrinking. Very bad idea

crackstar and BigMark like this.
  14. Omelmad

One must not overdo the m-bomb. It's called, the M-bomb for a reason hahaha

15. crackstar

I have yet to try the M Bomb. For some reason I'm a bit nervous to.

16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Speaking of menthol, I bought some menthol crystals for a few aftershaves I have I think could benefit from a little kick. Let the experimentation commence.

17. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

The m bomb is great with like 2-3 drops on top of some cella. Like iced dr. Pepper lol

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

I also did this. It is nice for non menthol splashes. I add a small amount Iin a folded blade wrapper and smash it up. Let it dissolve about an hour.works great

crackstar likes this.
  19. Hersh

Hersh Well-Known Member

I think the Queen should file for a patent on mbomb before the word gets out!

crackstar and Omelmad like this.
  20. Omelmad

I think you should get it haha, as much as you like menthol I'm surprised you haven't asked JoAnna to sell it in 1 liter bottles yet =P

Tdmsu and crackstar like this.