Mentholated shave soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Frozen Tundra is probably my favourite scent in wet-shaving so far. It really does make me think of standing outside in the snow on top of frozen earth.

crackstar and David Green like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Two that come to mind are Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    and
    Krampert's Finest Frostbite (soap AND Splash!) :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Both are great...and COLD!

crackstar, Tdmsu and Omelmad like this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I just got Krampert's Frostbite soap! It smells great! I'm using it tomorrow with the AS

4. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I seen someone mention that they dont use Arko during the winter months. Is there something else that should be used during the winter season? Is something like C.O. Bigelow better to use during that time?

Thx.

crackstar likes this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    sir_mike,
    There are guys that like a cooling sensation in the warm months, menthol, eucalyptus, etc. and guys that like the warming feeling in the cold months, herbal, clove, vetiver, (I am no scent expert). However, my best advice to you is try a bunch of different soaps, pick out the ones that please you, give you a smooth shave and leave your skin feeling great. And use them whenever you want. It's your face, spoil it!
    Have a great shave!

David Green likes this.
  6. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I heard that so I wondered what the logic was and being a noob, I did not know or thought maybe I was missing something! I am perfectly happy with my Arko and C.O. Bigelow and dont want a bunch of different soaps sitting around here! I see folks selling a bunch of soaps all the time and that part doesnt do anything for me! I might try a couple out here and there just for the fun of it but only if I can get them in a sample. I wont buy a big tub just to try something and most scents bug my nose and my wife's. I guess we have sensitive noses.

Thx.

crackstar likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Shaving culture is all about what you want. Not others. We others just like to make suggestions!

8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Chilly smooth
    My first impression of Krampert's Frostbite soap is very favorable. The scent reminds me of a clean snow in a pine forest. Refreshing and calming in a way. It's not as cold as FrostByte, but it lathers just as well if not better. It matches perfectly with the Frostbite aftershave. My shave was smooth and easy. The cool sensation lasted almost an hour. I could see using Proraso Green pre with this combination and not being over chilled.

crackstar and Omelmad like this.
  9. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Frostbite sequel
    My shave yesterday was so nice that I decided to use the same set up. Same excellent results. Krampert's soap and aftershave work together to make my face feel cool and comfortable.

crackstar and Omelmad like this.
  10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Sound like a good soap =)

Tdmsu and crackstar like this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Tomorrow morning I'm using a soap which I'm sure has more menthol than Krampert's Frostbite and Synergy Frost_byte combined. That soap is Stirling Glacial Obsidian. The lather of that stuff feels like liquid nitrogen on your face. :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

Tdmsu, Hodge and Omelmad like this.
  12. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

My M bomb sample arrived Saturday. Haven't got around to trying it yet. I think my Kiss My Face Cool Mint could use a few drops though

Queen of Blades likes this.
  13. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

I HAVE GOT to try that one. Hope their Glacials are back in stock soon

crackstar likes this.
  14. crackstar

If you enjoy strong menthol, this is your ticket. The Glacials should be back in March. :)

David Green likes this.
  15. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

awesome......and I will be placing an order as soon as they are back in for the coldest glacial shave soap and the coldest bath bar soap :) Menthol lover + Florida weather= lots of menthol products needed for spring/summer

crackstar likes this.
  16. crackstar

All the Glacial soaps are equally frigid. I LOVE each and every one of them! :) They'll some in handy when Florida becomes hot and humid during summer.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Definitely. KMF Cool Mint smells good and lathers well, but certainly lacks in the "Cool" department.

18. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

@crackstar any idea what the scents for the Glacials will be? I'm trying to stretch out my Wintergreen.

19. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

One thing about the KMF Cool Mint is that it seems to clog the bejeezus out of my blades (Still using cartridge razors -Schick Hydro 5). Same for the Alba Botanica Aloe Mint (which I otherwise like)...

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Gotta go DE. I don't have any problems. Until then, try just a tad more water (not too much!) to thin out the lather ever so slightly. See if that helps.