Merkur 11 C Mini Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by scott wein, Jan 18, 2012.

1. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

As u might now, this is what I decided upon as a less aggressive brother for my 37 C Slanty.

Sometimes u have a day shave after a night shave, sometimes the face doesn't want to shave but duty calls. Sometimes u just want something a little milder, and different.

So the Merkur 11 C Open Comb was picked to join my 37 C Slanty.

I have shaved with it twice, and each time had a three pass shave with lite touch up's that yielded back to back BBS's.

The balance is good, the weight solid, and I love that it has the same handle as my 37 C, which will make for easy change off's.

This is the best finished Merkur that I have ever seen, and is about a 4.5 on an aggression scale where the Jagger is a 2-2.5 and Slanty is a 6.5-7.

If u r looking for a moderately aggressive Open Comb, this just may be it.

I paired it with a Gillette Dark Blue, but I may smooth it out a notch and try a Gillette Black next.

Yesterday I face lathered Cella, today I face lathered MWF. 1-18 shave.jpg

It's a nice razor.

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very nice Scott, It takes a nice photo I'll say that for starters

scott wein likes this.
  3. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Can you share a picture of the blade gap? I recently used a vintage French OC where the blade sits directly on the teeth. This delivered such a mild shave that areas were missed that I don't normally miss.

scott wein likes this.
  4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I really like open comb razors, the vintages ones are great. This Merkur 11c looks very enticing.

Bird Lives and scott wein like this.
  5. scott wein

You r all too kind. I am trying to get a gap pic with my phone cam for the chiro

6. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I'm new to all this. Does an open comb provide a more aggressive shave compared to a closed comb?

scott wein likes this.
  7. scott wein

about the best I can do with my phone

ocw.jpg

SharpSpine likes this.
  8. scott wein

It exposes more blade to the face so it will be a tad more aggressive. This model I find moderately aggressive

BossManBill likes this.
  9. scott wein

yep, it's a beaut mang.

10. scott wein

It delivers a smooth shave. With the slanty, and the o.c, I feel covered

11. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

very nice review, thanks for sharing this

scott wein likes this.
  12. scott wein

My pleasure, I am glad you liked it. Today's shave was just as smooth.

13. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

:bounce015: swmbo said she thought i had too many brushes............didn't mention anything about razors. i've been wanting to try another razor not as aggressive as th r41. thanks for your review scott

scott wein likes this.
  14. SharpSpine

Thanks, it definitely looks pretty mild. Would you say it's more aggressive than your previous EJ, about the same, or more mild?

scott wein likes this.
  15. scott wein

That's solid thinking. I'm divorced but I think I'm done shopping for a while myself. Time to enjoy my den, built by TSD. Heck, I just got to the RazoRock today.

It's a nice, well made razor.

16. scott wein

Hey Brian:

I achieved exactly what I'm looking for. If we set the Jagger on one end of the spectrum, and the Slant on the other, this, for me, falls exactly in the middle. Hope this helps, it really is a nice razor.

SharpSpine likes this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

This Christmas I got a vintage OC razor that made a believer out of me. I'm now a blade carrying member of the "Loving OC's" club....I know they are all a little different just like all safety bar razors have their own personalities...But the Gillette Senator OC gives me the best shave I've ever gotten from a DE razor. Makes me think OC's ROCK !! Thanks for the review Scott...I know that 11C is a vintage design aswell. I bet it is a very fine shaver...;)

scott wein likes this.
  18. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Why is it when I read reviews like this I feel a RAD coming?!
    Nice pics.

scott wein likes this.
  19. SharpSpine

I too get my best shaves from an open comb, the OCMM. I like the extra control I get for different parts of my face that need a wider degree of angles to be used for optimum results. So far though I've only used a very mild open comb DE so eventually I'm sure I'll try a more aggressive one. Not quite sure if the '11 R41 qualifies as OC or not, but that will most likely be my next DE purchase.

CyanideMetal and scott wein like this.
  20. scott wein

Thanx. Your Senator is gorgeous. And yep, something about an Open Comb