Merkur 33C overlooked

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Frankrw, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Frankrw

Frankrw New Member

When doing searches for best beginner razors Merkur and Edwin Jagger come up most of the time. Usually the Merkur 34C gets all the press, as I understand it is very popular. However the 33C gets overlooked and it is basically the same as the 34C excepts for it being a 3 piece instead of 2 piece (34C). Edwin Jagger
    Makes 3 piece razors so the 33C should with more reason be compared to the Jagger's. It has the same head as the 34C , a bit slimmer but bit longer handle. It is truly a classic, so why is so little is heard or written about it? Who here likes the 33C?

2. Frankrw

Frankrw New Member

No feedback on this guys?

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Lack of Merkur marketing, EJ popularity, and and ocean of choices are likely why the 33C toils in obscurity.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I overlooked the 33.
    I went directly to the 37, 38 and 39.
    ;)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm with HR on this one and went directly to the 37c & 39c far to many good vintage brass and brass variant out there.

6. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I have a Merkur 33C and I freakin love it! I don't know why it doesn't get mentioned more because in my opinion, it's much better than the EJ DE89.

Frankrw likes this.
  7. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

The 33 was my first DE razor. I enjoyed it, but sold it to get an iKon SC101

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Frankrw

Frankrw New Member

Have you noticed the razor loosing its chrome shine? Is it normal for it not to be as shiny?

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Is it actually loosing its plating, or just looking dull? If it is just dull, it can be polished up with Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner. That will take the soap scum off and give it back its shine,

10. Frankrw

Frankrw New Member

Thanks for your question, it's just dull the finish is still intact. After seen its getting dull I washed it and oiled it but it has not returned to the original shine.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just needs a good polishing.

12. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I have not notice any change in the finish yet.

13. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

The Edwin Jagger razors are E- chromed after regular plating. The 33 is a great razor. Did you try the aluminum foil trick for polishing ?

14. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I am loving the shave from my 33c. It is my first 'modern' razor, my others are all vintage. My only wish is that the cap unscrewed from the bottom of the handle. I find this much easier and I like to loosen the cap slightly when rinsing the blade. It is a really terrific shave and is fast becoming my 'go to' razor.

Christopher Powell likes this.
  15. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

The Merkur 1904 was my first DE razor, and it was a great, affordable way to give retro wet shaving a try. If I had it to do over again, I would probably start with something like the Feather Popular, or maybe the Wilkinson plastic double edge, but I still have and use my original Merkur.

I think that if I'd bought a Mühle R41 for my first DE razor, I doubt that I'd still be using an old-style double edge to shave with -- I might be using a Braun electric shaver or a Schick disposable.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Perfect YMMV example. If I had made the R41 my first DE purchase I wouldn't have so many DE razors, it solved all my problems. :D

opsimath and dangermouse like this.
  17. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

The 33c was my first de. It is a fine razor.

dangermouse likes this.