Merkur 37 vs ikon slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ceferguson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

if anyone has both of these razors can you tell me if the merkur slant is more aggressive or are these two pretty equal. I have the ikon slant and it is fairly mild. Not nearly as aggressive as my fatip

Thanks

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You don't hear that much about the Merkur 37C for some reason. Not sure why - I find it to be a very attractive razor myself and with a head that looks like it could kick your butt.

Photos from the interweb:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ceferguson likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I found both razors comparable on the aggressiveness scale. I actually prefer the merkur head over the large ikon. Were I to get another slant, I would get a merkur 39c...again. Same head as the 37c, just larger handle.

Ceferguson and Darkbulb like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I had the Ikon and a 39c. Those two razors do feel different. I wouldn't say the Merkur feels a lot more aggressive though. The blade exposure seemed similar to me and a large blade exposure is the main thing that makes a razor feel aggressive to me.

Ceferguson likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have the 37C, and it is a very smooth and efficient razor. I consider the fit and finish to be average - and nowhere near my Muhle R89. I find the short handle to be just the right length for me. I'd recommend this razor to anyone considering a slant. :happy088:

SOTD_030915.jpg SOTD_032115.jpg

Ceferguson likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What are you trying to achieve? An aggressive slant? You mention your Fatip, if you want aggressive go with an R41. I've had three slants, 37c, iKon SC102 and ATT S1. While all three delivery a smooth shave none of them are aggressive in the true meaning of aggressive, the ATT S1 would be the most efficient IMO of the three I've used. But not by enough to warrant a difference in being called aggressive.

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

HEY, is that why you sold your merkur to me? because it sucks? :angry019:

Just kidding :bounce015: Im having probably the best shaves of my life with it, fits me perfectly as I dont shave everyday. PLUS the head it narrow so I can clean out my chin dimple better than I have ever been able. Love the blade exposure. I can't compare, but I do like this razor vert much.:signs001: Kerry for the awesome addition to my Den

BigMark likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

No. It's a very good razor, all three of the ones I've had are, including the 37c ;) I'm a shaver not a collector :p

Omelmad likes this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

looking in my drawer I'm starting to look like a collector hehe =P

Ceferguson and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I was just looking for a more aggressive slant hoping it would be agressive and smooth. I use the muhle r41 and it is good I just wanted something similar to the fatip that is smoother than the fatip. Since I made this post I got a cadet oc and it is smoother but not as aggressive as the fatip

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

Gotcha! The ATT S1 is a sweet slant.