Merkur 37c Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Voltimax, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Voltimax

Voltimax New Member

Hello all

I have been DE shaving now for 7 months now. My primary razors are; A Merkur 34c HD and an Edwin Jagger DE89L. Both of these razors give me a BBS shave with 3 passes and a couple of touch ups and I can achieve this everyday with no irritation. My beard is reasonably thick and grows quite quickly, I don't consider my hair to be overly coarse though. I purchased the Merkur 37c slant razor about a couple of months ago. I thought it might be more efficient than my current razors. I've been using it on and off for the last couple of months, but I cannot get a good shave out of it. I have tried different blades, different angles, different soaps, different lather consistencies and yet still it isn't working for me.
    It's driving me mad, I just don't see how that thing is meant to 'slice' hairs. I've checked many forum postings elsewhere concerning blade alignment etc. I have tried using no pressure and literally holding the razor handle at the very end to ensure I won't bear down on it, but all that does is make the razor head skip and bounce about my face, when the blade meets my stubble it stops and skips.
    I don't consider my skin to be overly sensitive. I can pass the HD across my cheeks several times and never get the slightest irritation, but the slant irritates my cheeks after the second pass and ATG on my neck is just about impossible. I'm running out of ideas and I really want to master this thing. Anyone have any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Throw a feather blade in it.

burpsan likes this.
  3. Voltimax

Voltimax New Member

No chance, lol

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Perhaps you can put the slant away for a while and use your other shavers which are obviously serving you well. In time something might click and you can try it again. If it's still a no go then sell it off..no point flogging a dead horse. Sometimes the particulars of the head geometry of a shaver are just not compatible with a person's individual physiognomy...

Hanzo likes this.
  5. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I used to have both the 37c and 39c slants. Those two razors were the worst about giving me nicks and irritation. YMMV, there are others who love those slants. Mine were sold.

6. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

A slant is the only DE razor that can shave me. Perhaps since the regular DEs work for you there is no need to fiddle with the slant anymore. I only have a 39C, so you could always send it over to me to test & make sure it's not defective. Bear in mind I'm very thorough so testing may take a couple decades. ;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

I'll parrot the advice to come back to it later. What do you have to lose?

I found it to be more aggressive than anything else I've shaved with resulting in irritation if I use it too much.

Believe it or not, my two sharpest blades (Feather and Kai) are quite comfortable in it and provide a rather close and comfortable shave. It's worth a shot no matter the dire thoughts you may (or not) harbor toward Feather blades. You may be surprised.

8. steelheart1948

steelheart1948 New Member

You have found your shaving nirvana with not 1 but 2 razors - the DE 89 and the 34c. Shaving is a very personal journey. You have very successfully reached your destination. There is nothing wrong with your shaving technique. The 37C is just not the razor for you.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Unfortunately, the OP in search of shaving nirvana only posted twice hereā€”the last time was Sept, 2012. ;)

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have the hd and the slant.I suspect your problem is in the angles. if you look at the razors from the side you will see how the slant curves the blade more than the hd does.I think this directly equates into a different blade angle in relation to your face.
    I hope this helps, if this is something you have considered, just disregard my comment.
    good luck, keep at it, you'll figure it out

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

David, see my comment above your post. ;)

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

no I didn't notice the date. thanks for lookin out for me.

13. Voltimax

Voltimax New Member

Talk about necro posting, lol
    I had forgotten I was even a member here, that was until I was checking my emails this morning and I was notified of steelheart1948s reply.
    I still have that 37c and I'm able to use it fine now. I have to say though, it isn't my favourite razor, lol

14. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a trade.

Omelmad likes this.
  15. lancelot

lancelot New Member

My dad bought a Hoffritz, slant in the fifties. It was too tough for him. I have been trying to shave with it for 50 -60 years and it was too much for me. I started back DE shaving about 9 months ago, and have tried many razors, including an AS-D2. All gave me irritation. Something clicked about a week ago.

I tried the Hoffritz, slant and for some reason it is working. It works best with Voskhod, and Feather blades for me. I am cautious with it, but I am getting close & comfortable shaves. I don't understand it, but I love it.

Ron I

Adonis likes this.
  16. shmuel

shmuel Member

FWIW, I started with a 34C about a year and a half ago and got a 37C about 7 months ago. I had to go through a new blade sampler progression but now use the 37C pretty much every day, either with a Kai or Personna Lab. I think a lot has to do with your skin and beard type. Some just don't enjoy the slant but for many (most?) it is worth the learning curve, especially if your beard is on the coarse side. I have also heard good things about the Ikon slant and the new Razo Rock stealth which should be available in August. As with all things shaving, and especially blades and razors, YMMV.