Merkur 38c

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sparky5693, Dec 28, 2007.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    My HD is my favorite safety razor, but I keep looking at the stunning good looks of the 38c. From what I read, it has the same head as all the fixed head merkur razors, and that sounds great. How about the long handle though? Is it long enough to be obnoxious?

Attached Files:

• 38C.jpg
      38C.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I had the 12C version (Open Comb) and loved the weight and handle. It is around the same length as the Long Handled Merkurs. I would have kept it if the performance was up to par with my Fat Boy.. and if I were not moving into straights.

Honestly it was a very nice razor.. the weight and length being SUPER pluses in my book.

3. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

Sparky, I've had the same concern about the extra length of the 38C since I also love my HD. However, I have all the other fixed head Merkurs, so I guess I need to add this one to the collection.

I shave exclusively with Merkur razors. I've tried Super Speeds, Fat Boys, Slims, Wilkinsons, Schick Injectors, Techs and many others...I always go back to the Merkurs. They just seem to work for me.

My favorites are the HD, 1904 and Classic.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Bobby, my favorite razor is my TESC Chatsworth. It's handle is about 4 3/8" long! Same head as the HD. According to Classicshaving, the 38C handle is only 3 3/4". The Slant and HD have identical 3" handles. The SS (also 3") seems like a toy!!

I love the extra length and weight! Plus, I can use it when pounding meat in the kitchen! :cool:

Attached Files:

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

To each his own, for me I do not like something heavy in my hands. But variety is the spice of life.

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

The 38C, one of my favorite razors. I like the feel of it and the weight and longer handle give me good control. It felt really strange at first but now I pick it up without a thought. It grows on ya. :D

7. Padron

Padron Active Member

I've got a 38C and really like it, the weight and longer handle are a nice change from my slant and other DE's...works great when I'm pressed for time :D

8. sparky5693

Administrator
    I have carpal tunnel, and for some reason the angle of the merkur razors is less of a problem.

9. sparky5693

Administrator
    Wow... I've never seen that beast before. It looks like it would have some serious weight to it.

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Just weighed them...
    HD (not the Slant) is 2.5 oz
    TESC is 3.6
    '49 SS is about 1.8

11. sparky5693

Administrator
  12. PottyDoctor

Maybe I missed it earlier or something, but what is the weight of the 38C?

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Sorry, Ron, I don't have one or I'd go weigh it for ya. I have those three plus the slant - which I photo'd, but didn't weigh.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ok...Slant's 2.5 oz., same as the HD.

Classicshaving says the 38C is "over 4 oz"

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

The 38c is 3.8 ounces.

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Interesting. See my edit above..."over 4". Hmmm.

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Well I have one, and weighed it.. hehe.. so Classic Shaving is off the mark on this one. :D

18. PottyDoctor

Wow...50% heavier than the HD or Slant! That's one heavy hitter! ;)

19. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yeah, you have to use lighter blades. :cool:

20. PottyDoctor

38C...The Body Building Razor! Body by Merkur! :D