Merkur Barberpole or Long Progress... any users out there?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NoahG, Apr 21, 2011.

1. NoahG

NoahG Member

So this morning, I went back to my Parker 22R for no apparent reason, and like slipping into bed with a long lost lover, it just felt right. the long heavy handle slipped right into my grip and I was able to shave without any extra pressure, and I was even in a hurry this morning. Now, the Parker treated me right for my first year or so of hap hazard wet shaving, and since I really wasn't after the ultra shave the little idiosyncrasies didn't bother me too terribly much. It's a little too aggressive after the first pass, the blade doesn't always align just right, and (worst of all) the butterfly doors start to loosen as I twist and turn through the contours of my face. My EJ DE86, I think may be a bit short and a bit mild, causing me to use far too much pressure, especially along the rough patches. So, I'm thinking of trying out either the Merkur 38c or the long handled Progress as these seem to fit my needs of a semi aggressive long heavy razor with out butterfly/silo style doors. Am I correct in these as choices? are there others I should be considering?
    PS If someone was to give me a Mergress XL, I'd offer my eternal gratitude. :D

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I haven't used either, but I did have a regular progress. It wasn't my thing and it might have been hot rodded and enjoyed by someone here.

Another couple options of large heavy razors are the Merkur Futur or one of Cooncat Bobs Bull Mastiff handles.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have been favoring the straights lately, and the SE's and injectors too.

However, now that I have been at this for a year I can say without a doubt that I prefer a 3-piece over a TTO.

4. NoahG

NoahG Member

I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on on the long Progress. I can keep the aggressive first pass and then dial it down to finish off the rough bits.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I don't have a Mergrees, they never appealed to me but I have had a Progress for years and its aggressive adjusted upwards. The Merkur barberpole is nice and hefty , its head is standard Merkur which to me is middle of the road aggressive.

If you want a big handle for a little coin try the Sabi 3 piece as sold by Shaveabuck, its worth the $14 for the handle alone.The handle is actually larger than a Merkur Barberpole handle and it takes the head of many different razors . So if you marry the handle to say a Gillette Old Type head or a Gillette New head etc., you would have a aggressive long handled hefty razor .

6. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I have and love both. Make the 38c your next razor, it's different from the Progress and worth having. That said enjoy the Progress, it's a lot of fun to shave with. I think you're like me in liking big beefy heavy razors. Wait till you get into straights-you're gonna love choppers.

7. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

I own a Progress XL and it's a fine razor. I know you weren't considering a Futur, but I also own one of those and like it even better than the Progress XL. You might want to consider the Futur--easy blade changing, despite comments to the contrary on some of the forums, no problem with blade alignment, and the Futur seems to bring out the best in many blades. Just a thought...

-Vance

8. NoahG

NoahG Member

total RAD :sad038 lets see if I try and limit my self to one shaving related purchase per month, I'll have a complete and total breakdown withing the next 3 to 4 pay checks. :shocked029 I guess I'm just going to have to try them all :D thanks everybody!

9. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I've got the 38c and it's a beast. Love it.

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

+1

I think I just may use it today

11. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

DO EEEHT!

I'm trying to talk myself into a 39c barberpole slant...we'll see :cool:

12. NoahG

NoahG Member

The long progress should be here by Wednesday! I'm too much of a noob to even consider the vorschlaghammer slant though.

13. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Give it a few months...I started this whole wet-shaving thing in November and I'm totally ready for it :D

14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I'm enjoying my recently acquired (2 months ago) Mergress XL. Hopefully you'll get one of the good Progress' that doesn't have any of the Merkur quality control issues... but if you have any problems with it, you can always send it to Mer later on and for $30 + postage, he'll fine tune it and turn it into a Mergress XL.

15. NoahG

NoahG Member

I definitely plan on it at some point. I think its about the only way to get one any more.

16. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

DO EEEHT!

Mine is pretty friggin good. I think I like it the best, but I think that about half of my stuff.....It is a good and efficient razor.

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I DEEEHD!

First time I've used it in a quite some time, and the first time I've paired it with a Bolzano blade, darn great shave it was

I almost pulled the trigger on a 39C myself awhile back, but still haven't done so. Probably should have then, because I won't be having any available funds to do it for a quite some time