Merkur Defective?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Scout, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Scout

Scout New Member

My once used Merkur 23C is defective:mad: The head or convex top is not square. Looking down from the top the blade is square with the bars on both side, but the head is square with the blade on one side only. In other words the edge of the head is not parallel with the edge of the blade on one of the sides. I assume this is a problem? I noticed one side seemed more tame than the other. I've used it once and Royalshave.com will not take a used razor. So I guess I am stuck with a SE DE razor:mad: Quality control of the Merkur 23C is crap. I found burrs on one of the edges of the bar that contacts your face and had to remove them with a leather strope and now this:mad:Merkur will never get another cent of my money period. It is so agrivating to spend the money they want for their "razor" and them not even check them before they leave the plant. I know it wasn't a top end razor but still. I haven't tried it again since I found the burrs and defect, will this defect be a problem??? If so I will save up for an Ikon, I like the looks and reviews they've gotten, unless ya'll no better.
    Sorry for the rant, It's just that my bubble popped, extreme high to extreme low.
    Any help or advice?

James

2. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

no you are not stuck with it. I got my futur from them about a year ago. I took pictures, called them and Emailed them they gave me a refund. call your credit card company tell them you had a defective product. they will handle it if the vendor does not.

3. Scout

Scout New Member

Mynorx,
    Did you have to spring for the return postage?

4. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I did pay to send it to them. I thought they where going to send me another one but they just refunded my money. I would go with and EJ89L

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I've never dealt with Royalshave myself, but I would be shocked if they didn't do a return on the razor.

If Royalshave doesn't take care of the problem, try contacting Merkur direct, I've read of them making good on defective razors.

As I mentioned earlier, I have read that Merkur's QC does seem to be slipping some, but like any large manufacturer sometimes defective merchandise will make it out the door, but I know that doesn't make you feel any better about your purchase.

Like Mynorx recommends, I have read nothing but stellar things about the fit and finish on the EJ/Muhle twins.

6. Scout

Scout New Member

I think I will contact Merkur direct (I like that idea, Thanks). Meanwhile I will look at the EJ89L:sad023

7. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Merkur will probably take for ever to ship one out to you. you may have to ship them the defective one to start. send it back to royal.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    If you received a defective product, you should not have to pay for return shipping. Whomever you ship it to, make sure they know you are sending it and make sure they have agreed they will handle the shipping costs.

Do let us know the outcome.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I prefer the EJDE89L and Muhle R-106 to the Merkur 23C. I have all three.

10. Scout

Scout New Member

Well, here is the skinny. Contacted Royal about the defect. I was honest and told them I had used the razor. They were very nice and understanding. They were willing to send me a prepaid label to send it back for replacement. I believe the terms we worked out were pleasing to both parties. Nothing but good things to say about Royalshave. Merkur, however, the jury is still out.

James

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Good to hear Royalshave is working with you. I will keep this in mind.

12. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've bought from Royalshave before and their customer service was very good.

13. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

glad it worked out for you.

14. bordeaaj

bordeaaj New Member

I've heard about the quality concerns with Merkur products but never experienced any myself. I have a couple of their Slants, a couple HDs, an Open-Comb, and a Travel Razor and they all seem perfect and give me great shaves. I get very good BBS shaves with all the dozen or so popular Gillettes in my collection but I still find almost any Merkur razor gives a more effortless, comfortable shave for me. My dad prefers Merkur over Gillette as well and his base for comparison is larger than mine. Too bad...it's sad to hear negative things about your favorite razors. I hope your replacement Merkur is as good as all mine have been. :D

As for iKon razors, I've heard great things about them, as well. However, there have been a few defects discussed in the shaving forums (for example: http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=358197.)

Maybe that's just the nature of machined products...for every bad experience there are thousands of good ones...you just don't have those thousands all shouting from the rooftops about their good experiences...they just get about the business of using the product day in and day out. But every now and then a slight, not-so-obvious flaw gets through the quality screening process, someone raises holy hell about it, and that ends up being all we remember about the entire brand. The real question seems to be how quickly and politely the company or distributor makes things right when such a problem is brought to their attention...and it seems that both Merkur and iKon generally get the highest marks there.

15. tomjl12

tomjl12 New Member

I see a few people mention the EJ89L as a good razor and I purchased the EJ89, which I'm happy with. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 89 vs. 89L but I think it's just the finish and the texture of the handle.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

It is just the texture of the handle one has embossed lines the other is smooth.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy023:happy023:bounce:bounce:happy023:happy023:happy108:happy108:happy108

(that's just me yelling from the rooftop :happy102)

I have a Futur, two 34C and an 11C - all great razors, excellent finish, no quality issues, and give me some of the best shaves of all my razors.

I did snip a lot from bordeaaj's post, but he was right on with all he had to say.