Merkur Futur and Merkur Brush Question.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fairlite, Dec 17, 2007.

1. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Hi all,

I am still waiting on my Razor and brush, my question is did I make a mistake in getting the Futur for my first DE? I have never used a DE in my life and I just want to really give this a chance and not give up because I bought the wrong first razor. Also I got a Merkur Silver Tip brush, are they any good or should I have went with a different brand on that? I a just looking for peoples opinions and advise incase I did make a blunder with my purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

2. Will

Will Nevermind

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I know nothing about the Merkur brush, however the Futur is probably not the first choice for many beginners. It is not to say it is a bad razor because that isn't true, but you will have a lot more to think about with it then say.. a HD or other fixed head razors.

There are always better choices for razors but really you can learn on just about anything if you take it slow and don't throw changes into the mix until you are ready for them. As long as you are consistent in your attempts you will learn.

Hope that helps.

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Come to think of it, the two above items should be in everyone’s medicine cabinet.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

NOT AT ALL! This was the first DE I got, and it gave me much pleasure (still does!). It's very good quality and is heavy.

I would recommend you to start at #1 setting and DON'T APPLY PRESSURE the first time you use it! In my [humble] opinion it's an excellent DE.

I have been bitten by the DE bug and have recently acquired a few, inexpensive, vintage DE's and have found that there are many good choices out there.

So, in my opinion, the Futur is by no means a "mistake" or a poor choice, but there are several options that would have been just as good!

Welcome to the wonderful world of DE! Let us know how it goes!

EDIT: And remember, the DE shaving experience has more components than just the razor! The soap/cream/lather, the blade, the brush, the mood, AS (After Shave) etc etc... So if you don't get the perfect result the first time, don't hesitate to change blade, or cream... or technique! Here on "The Shave Den" you have a wealth of experience to ask for more advice! I doubt the razor itself will dissapoint you!

6. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. I am going to give this one a go first since I spend a bit on it already. (I know this is the tip of the iceberg). I hope I learn a technique that works. I am so used to using a Mach 3 and a fusion and rushing through my shaves only to be disapointed. I am hoping that taking my time and using this razor I will be much happier with the results and I don't destroy my neck in the learning process. My neck has always been the worst area for me to shave, as well as along my jaw. Everytime with out fail I will get all kinds of nicks and irritation.

Tonight or tomorrow will be my first night to try this out. My Razor and brush showed up this morning. I will keep you posted on my results.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Baby steps, laddie.
    I agree to go slowly with the Futur and on "1" only for awhile.
    I'll also add to work on your WTG passes at first and then XTG passes after you become a bit more comfortable with the beast.
    AVOID ATG passes for now.
    Good luck.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I started with a Futur. It's doable. Set at one and go light. Very light. The razor is heavy enough to do all the work if the blade is sharp enough. If you find your blade skips a lot, shorten up your stroke. Jumping a blade with the heavy Futur can ding you in a hurry. A challenge, yes. Mistake? No.

9. Hi Pete,
    I've never used a Futur, but I have to say that I DO like the way those things look. I've also never used that model brush either, but it should be fine.
    I wanted to mention the importance of making sure your lather is 'right'. I don't believe you've had very much experience in knowing how proper lather will look and feel. In addition, you may not have a handle on how 'slick' and 'cushioning' good lather can be. That was a problem of mine early on.........not understanding exactly what I should be looking for. I got some fairly mediocre shaves till I figured it out.
    All I'm saying is that you'll need to realize that the Futur is well liked by many members, but creating the right environment ( good lather) for it is also very important if you want an irritation free shave. You need both pieces of the puzzle to fit together.
    Good luck on your journey.........plenty of us are along for the ride as well,
    Martin

Oh....did I say 'both' pieces of the puzzle? Hehe, I'll add technique to that list as well. You're gonna need to pay attention when shaving with that razor.

10. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Well I tried lastnight and it was so so for my first attempt.

I have very little trouble making a decent lather for my first time. I used Proraso and in a very shor time I had a nice full soft lather. There is sonething to be said about applying shaving cream with a brush. I don't know why I haven't try this sooner.

As far as the shaving went that is another story:

I am having a tough time with the holding the razor at the correct angle. When I did wow real nice. When I didn't I either got irritation or nothing just a metal swishing cream around. I did have a very difficult time doing my neck and at one point I accidently went ATG it didn't hurt but I had all little spots bleeding on my neck. I am not going to give up but I really hope I can get the hang of this. I like the razor and heft to it and what it was able to do in one pass just on my cheeks is amazing. It may very well be the Merkur SS Platinum blades that came with it. I have Walmarts, CVS's Walgreens, Rite Aid near me. Any one have a suggestion on a blade from one of these places that I could try that may be batter than the Merkur's. Or should I just keep working with those.

Thanks for listening to my babbling. Looking forward to my next attempt.

Pete

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

change blades!!!!!

Walgreens or CVS blades will do in a pinch. Someone send him some blades Pronto!!!!!!!!!

Raf

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Good first go!

Didn't Will(Mottern Man) offer to send you a blade sampler? Take him up on it!

13. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Yes he did and I am very appreciative of this.

I still wanted to try with these blades since I paid for them. I have a full 10PK plus 9 from another that came with my set. I still will try again since I pretty much do not have a technique yet. Did learn one thing last night, these things cut!!!:rofl

Pete

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I hear you. Plus, you are still learning technique, so these blades might work for you once you have the technique down. But don't hesitate to change blade brands when you get the sampler. You may find a better blade to learn with, then you can return to the Merkurs at some point.

15. Will

Will Nevermind

Merkur blades are not bad but IMHO their are far better on the market.

I am sorry I haven't got to the post office yet but some blades are headed your way.

16. fairlite

fairlite New Member

Not a problem. I understand with the holiday's and all. Again I think you so much for this and I hope I can repay with something in the future.

Pete

17. Will

Will Nevermind

I wish it was just the holidays. :p

18. Hi Pete,
    Your first shave coulda been worse..........no gushers at least.....heh. Next time you shave, try whatever you'd been using before the Futur, just for a little bit. See how that lather feels using something familiar. If there's sticking or pulling, it's possible you haven't quite got the soap/water ratio down.
    Anyway Pete, here's the deal with DE shaving and one reason why so many people use cartridges instead. One thing about DE shaving is that you have to pay your dues. It's not something most people just pick up in a week or two. It's a 'hobby' for many of us here, but it's also a skill that has to be learned. There's a technique that has to be perfected in order to achieve painless, bloodless, irritation free, slick BBS shaves. You have to be motivated to stick with it.
    Now, there's many reasons to continue using a DE. Of course the blades are cheap as hell, with many popular brands selling for 50 cents or less. There's also the feeling of something solid and substantial being used to carefully remove all stubble in a very satisfying way. Plus, there's so many other things to try that are DE related. Different wonderful looking razors......extremely smooth blades.....they're all out there for you to try.
    Pete? It's probably gonna take you a few months for this all to come together for you. I think most members would agree on that time frame...........give or take a little bit. Each shave is a learning experience for your body AND brain. You need to repeat the shaving action, and in that way your technique will improve. There's a learning curve that won't be denied......that's how things are.
    When shaving with your Futur, you MUST go slow and pay attention to the feedback your razors's giving you. Unfortunately, you won't know what to look for until you find it, if that makes sense. For most people, DE shaving takes a lot of trial and error when first starting out. Hehe, did I mention paying your dues?
    Anyway, as you can see, there's many members willing to support you in your goal of a great shave. You just have to remember that it doesn't happen overnight, but it DOES happen.
    Martin

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I'm pretty sure that is a big part of the problem! When I first got my Futur I had a 10 pack of Merkurs with it, and well, once I switched blades (Feathers), the razor was a totally different beast.

But building a good lather is also important, it can cusion a sensitive skin a bit... and with the Futur it's important to be gentle! You don't need more pressure on the skin than the razor provides, it's heavy enough (actually, this is why I like it, the weight and ease it glides over my face).

If you haven't wetshaved before, the first week or so can give you the effect on the neck you described, I had it when I started with cartridges many years ago. You shave off some skin and minor "imperfections" in the beginning, and the neck is a sensitive area, with thin skin, so it bleeds easily... but it's not unbeknown to happen during "break in" of the neck ;)

Good to hear you are taking your first steps! I bet you soon will be enjoying it immensly!

20. ZiggyDeath

ZiggyDeath New Member

The futur is a relatively large implement, compared to some of the vintage gillettes, and rather hefty as well. If you're still having trouble on 1, you can set it lower than that. However, the design of the razor makes it more maneuverable than it looks: the indented section helps facilitate balance as a guideline to about where your fingers should hold it. The two gripes I have about the futur is that the head design is almost as cumbersome and a pain to use doing XTG passes under the nose as the vision, and the clipping mechanism to hold the head down.