Merkur Futur and Merkur Brush Question.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fairlite, Dec 17, 2007.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I know this is a late reply, but the Merkur Vision is probably the worst DE for a newbie to learn with. The best DE for a beginner, in my honest opinion is a Parker.

2. razorthief

razorthief New Member

I've heard that cant be good - get a nice gillette super speed to pop your cherry. They are all around very good.

3. figgis

figgis New Member

I wouldn't worry. All a razor is really is a handle. I like the old Gillettes more than the Merkurs, but I suspect the difference is marginal. The things that really matter are using a good blade (I've found Feather much better than Merkurs, and the Israeli Personnas seem to have a lot of fans) and putting hot lather on a pre-softened beard. Put some decent shaving cream in a pre-heated mug, ideally popped into a pan of very hot water, and wash your face with nice hot water and a good soap before hand. Use your shaving brush in little circles rather than painting in big strokes, and never, never NEVER put any pressure on the blade.

4. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

Try a bunch of different blades.
    It honestly took my skin about 7-10 DE shaves to settle down and not break out. It was only the fantastic smells of the shaving creams that kept me going.
    Relax. Don't rush/be patient.
    Find the best blade. I was only shaving twice with a blade before throwing it out till I found something I liked.
    That's a heavy razor, and it's weight alone is going to make it a bit more aggressive...
    You're on the right path with the prep...
    Good luck. These razors last forever. You're going to have to list it in your will...