Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I bought one of the Futur replicas from Ebay about a year ago. While it's not in heavy rotation (none of my adjustables are), I find it to be very satisfactory overall in fit and finish, and I would defiantly recommend it to anybody looking at Futurs in general.

2. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Rich, thanks for the review and pics.
    I was looking at these a few years back but not sure if I would really want this type of razor. The head seems big &thick - maybe harder to maneuver around the nose, etc. The razor seems enormous to me.

I would have no problem buying this clone. So long as it is a clone, not a counterfeit ( i.e fake replica) that is an attempt to make you think that you are buying the original.

Recognizing that it is likely made more cheaply than the Merkur, it is a reasonable price to tryout the platform.

From your review, it may be a good value. It sounds like you also have the original Merkur to compare. I look forward to hearing your opinion on how it shaves.

Shave Fu likes this.
  3. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I have had a chance to shave with this clone now. I left the Voskhod blade in it. Lathered-up as usual and set in....
    It is just like the Merkur, very noisy. You can hear almost every hair being cut. It pulls somewhat, but that might be the blade. I'll use my regular Astra next time. When I had a Merkur, I almost always cut myself several times. This is why I sold it to begin with. This clone didn't cut me at all. However; that could be chalked-up to many more shaves under my belt.
    I will say that this is a decent shaver. But it didn't do anywhere near as good a job as my Gillette Slim Adjustable. Didn't get nearly as close with two good passes and some touch-up.
    I will use it again with my normal blade and update this post...

Thanks for reading.
    Rich.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

"Many counterfeit goods are now of better quality than the genuine articles", Alibaba founder Jack Ma. From the article HERE.

jmudrick likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Shaved with mine last night:
    [​IMG]
    3 passes for a BBS shave that was still going strong at the 10 hour mark.

RyX, Keithmax, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  6. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

I have seen these and been tempted but I think I will wait for the new Rockwell adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

<ENABLE>
    Rockwell $$$$$ and long wait. Futur Clone $ and available now.
    </ENABLE>

8. drwevil

Very true.,.
    I suspect my wait will end with a 6s or birthday pressy.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Not surprised at a CEO's comments from the vantage point of an alleged promoter & pusher of counterfeit goods.

RyX likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Indeed it is.

Shave Fu likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

ninjack and drwevil like this.
  12. drwevil

Seems like pretty good bang for $$$$

13. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I have now been able to shave with this beauty for the second time. I used my normal Astra blade paired with the standard green Prorasso cream. First pass was on setting three. This did pretty well. Just for testing purposes, I opened it up to 5.5 and did a second pass then a little clean-up. I did get a little razor burn under my jaw on the second pass, but it wasn't terrible. I understand that some may be interested in the way that it shaves under the nose and in tight places. I can assure you that it does just as well as any. The head it not as large as it looks.
    I stayed smooth for a long time. (I shaved at night, the next morning I was still very smooth and stayed nice all day.)
    I will wrap this thread-up by saying that this razor is well worth the money that I spent on it.($18, two days to my door from ebay)
    Also, I do not have any qualms about buying a clone. In my opinion, this is better that the original. I had one (and paid $70 for it). I will buy more from the Alieexpress website to give for Christmas gifts...

Thanks for reading,
    Rich.

14. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I want to add one more thing:
    I don't sell these or have any connection to the sellers. This is my honest opinion on an item that I bought.....

EnglishChannel and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I have this razor and it's actually one of my favorites. It's really aggressive even at the lowest setting. There is a bit of blade alignment problems, but once it's set up its real smooth and a great shaver. For 7 bucks, it's worth it just for a curiosity.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  16. drwevil

I may pick up one of these just for and giggles

AGHisBBS and ninjack like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Or maybe it wasn't. Do some Googling and you'll find someone who has what looks like a Futur he swears to have purchased at Hoffritz in New York years before the Merkur patent.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

18. Bama Samurai

Prototype that got out, maybe?

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No idea. His memory could have been wrong. It is certain Hoffritz was selling them at least as early as 1984 and they look nicer then current production to me.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=29983

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Hard to tell, but the design may be older than we thought! Cool info.

RyX and jmudrick like this.