Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have one, but I haven't been shaving regularly, so it's consigned to the pile of "when I get back to shaving at least every other day" razors. I've just been alternating OLD and Aristocrat.

2. Der Koenig

Der Koenig Member

Thanks. I have a plan now. I think..

3. matteob

matteob Active Member

I'm not big fan of Chinese knock offs in general but if it is decent quality and you like it that is all that matters. I'd be surprized if the casting tolerances are as good as the Merkur though.Last knock off I had was a Swiss army knife fake as a kid. It was crap. I got the real thing a few years later and I still have it today.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  4. Bookworm

Heh. I have Wenger swiss army knives, and they were lower quality than Victorinox. Both 'official' brands. I've seen crap chinese knives (most of them), and some decent ones. I have one made by Coast that actually holds a fair edge, and has solid hinges, pivots, and springs.

Der Koenig likes this.
  5. matteob

matteob Active Member

@Bookworm Only Victorinox for me. I may by one of these Wing Shui things out of curiousity. I am not an anti China snob if things are made to a high standard. They are a clever and resourceful lot with a long history of craftsmanship. Too many knock offs are garbage though. Also I don't like leeching off others innovation tbh. My new laptop which cost 1400 bucks came from there as did my daily carry Jinhao X750 fountain pen: 2 bucks on ebay and very sturdy and smooth writing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Der Koenig likes this.
  6. Bookworm

@matteob - I bought one, and it looks to be well made for the price. I don't consider it a knock off or counterfeit, simply because the original was so many years ago. It'd be like complaining about buying a Honda lawn mower because it's a knock off of the ones made 20 years before Honda even was a company. My daily carry fountain pen is two. Parker Vector stainless, and Jinhao 599. The Parker Vector even writes well on carbonless invoice books.

7. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

I bought a Ming Shi 2000S, too. For $14.00 it's a great deal. Although I don't have a Merkur Futur to compare and won't for the much higher price, this clone is well built. The adjustment is smooth. The cap fits securely. It shaves well.
    If the clones came out during the copyrighted time period I'd not have bought one. Much like a Gillette Flare Tip and it's MicroTouchOne/ Weishi/ etc clones, the clones of the Futur may not all be the same. I've heard about problems with one of the others getting wobbly or off center.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I have an earlier Futur clone, a Primeshave and it works great!

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Neal @NCoxSTL retired his Q-Shave clone. I think he had a problem with something bent internally causing wobbles, squeaks, or misalignment.

AGHisBBS and NCoxSTL like this.