Merkur Futur Clone....My thoughts.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 8, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

His counterfeits are so good he bought the company...

If the design is worth copying and the patent has expired, it's a matter of quality and price.
    I prefer a Gillette Flare Tip to a Weishi, but they will both give a decent shave. Gillette got it right, and the new guys just copied what works well.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

What safety razor was that in the Remington commercial? Anyone have an idea?

3. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Just received my qshave. Have had a chance to shave with it yet but heres some pics. There are some very very minor finish issues, but at $8 ide actually expect alot worse. Overall it looks very nice and feels very high quality. Based on aesthetics alone, easily worth $8.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tdmsu, AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  4. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Couldnt wait so i popped an astra sp in. Here are my conclusions: (ive never shaved with a futur either)

1. Thus thing is super slippery, to the point it was annoying. Luckily it never slips out do to the indents where the shaft gets smaller.

2. The head easily gets under nose hairs. The blade is actually mounted higher then my red tip and can reach the hairs easier. The slim is still slightly better tho.

3. The audio feedback is like twice as loud as my gillettes. Made it very difficult to just if i was cutting close enough. This is just a learning curve thing.

If this razor had knurling it would be an awesome razor, rather then a very good razor.

This razor feels like a mustang cobra vs my Ferrari gillete slim. Plenty of power, but just doesnt handle as well and not as precise feeling.

Im glad i didnt drop $60 bones on a futur, this razor saved me. For $8 i would buy again. Even $25 it be worth it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Jim99, Tdmsu, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  5. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

It's was that advert that had me convinced wet shaving was a thing of that past and dad had an early philishave and some Gillette DE razors one of which was adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a satin Futur and the handle is not slippery.

7. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Disappointing thing i just discovered shaving. Blade gap is always wider on one side no matter what. Reinstalled a buncha times. Anyone else notice this?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ninjack likes this.
  8. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Mine lines up like that sometimes too, but I can push the top part over to adjust it and it stays there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  9. r1nzler

r1nzler Member

Seems like merkurs have the same issue. i followed this disaembly vid and flipped my spring it seems to have fixed it.

AGHisBBS and ninjack like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I see that they're going for $2.96 USD on eBay and that includes shipping! That's crazy! For that price, I ordered one. I'm not sure if all Future clones are created equal, but I'll find out by the end of the month.

11. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I can't find that listing. Can you post it for me? I'll buy another one at that price.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Dansco and Tdmsu like this.
  14. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Slippery handle? Plasti-dip will fix that.

RyX likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

:happy088:
    They ship from a number of countries. Mine's from seller
    "toptop14" out of the Philippines. ETA; May between the 15th - 30th.
    At $1.69, plus $1.19 shipping I thought about getting two.

Jorvaljr, Jim99 and Tdmsu like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm supposed to receive mine anywhere from May 24 to June 7. My seller is Uncle Ding.

You'll have your razor before I get mine. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it while my razor is still in transit.

Jorvaljr and RyX like this.
  17. Bookworm

My three are also coming from toptop14.

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, I have a question...

Are these clones of the clone? How could anyone build and ship one for under $3 and turn a profit?

RyX likes this.
  19. Bookworm

1) Shipping is subsidized for Asia/Pacific to the US, apparently.
    2) The razors are cast parts. Casting is a very cheap method of making parts, and the lower the casting temperature, the cheaper the production costs because of the cool-down times.

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

My "if I only had one" razor of choice is a Fat Boy. I use most any blade in it, and worked my way up to doing a three pass+ shave using Feather blades. I'm happy to read these Clones go to the Next Level. I'll be posting my SOTD photos when it arrives, and Shave Reports in the 30 Day Rule/Focus Group. I'm hoping it get here before the Group finishes celebrating the month of MAYhem. Not that I need an excuse to try new*to*me hardware.

(EDIT; That three pass shave is on setting nine.)

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Jim99 and Jorvaljr like this.